Kemper + 5150 issue !!!!!SOLVED!!!!!

• Certain amps cannot profile correctly, this is known. The kraken is another amp I couldn't profile correctly but the 5150 should be profilable.

Try making some directs and see how they turn out.

• Certain amps cannot profile correctly, this is known. The kraken is another amp I couldn't profile correctly but the 5150 should be profilable.

Try making some directs and see how they turn out.

There lies the problem.

Kemper is NOT transparent about it's techinical limits.

On Kempers homepage: "Profiling is a unparalleled technique to extract the exact tone and feel from any amp."

That's a LIE. If it's known it cannot profile certain amps, they should replace that text with "Profiling is a good technique to extract the exact tone and from certain amps, others may work differently"

That's the truth, so why are they lying?

• Uhm. The low end imho is still lacking in the Kemper. That's where I've had most issues when it comes to profiling amps. That being said there have been very accurate profiles of the 5150.

• Well, just to mince words: unparalleled technique means it has no equal. Not that it's 100% perfect.

How did you do each recording, and how did you do the profiling?

• Well, just to mince words: unparalleled technique means it has no equal. Not that it's 100% perfect.

How did you do each recording, and how did you do the profiling?

They still say "EXACT TONE AND FEEL FROM ANY AMP". That's really high-horsey to say, especially when it's proven to be not true, like me and Ola in the video.

5150III > Marschall 1960 > SM57

No difference when I'm playing guitar straight to amp, than through the Kemper from input to the output on the back.

The differences starts showing when I've profiled. I have tried NOT refining, and I have tried refiningen for 20 minutes, both hitting strings really hard, and really soft, fast and slow and all things between. NOTHING WORKS. It's useless!

But with the Gallien Kruger I got the right sound after ONE refining process. Almost identical! I can hear slight differences, but they are small enough to accept.

The differences on the 5150 is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

• I have e-mailed Kemper and told them to start working on a new Kemper because the current Kemper isn't good enough for me

Hello, a bit extreme IMO ! It is well known here that some amps and dist pedals cannot be profiled with 100% accuracy and some cannot be profiled at all. Some unstable transistors , rectifiers, and noise gate circuits for instance will make the profiling process fail.

I also know some Professional profilers like sinmix had to mod the input of some of these amps to allow profiling ( bypassing the noise gate for instance)

So : you cannot profile your own amp but some great profile wait for you , made by someone else , you'll achieve your tone eventually

PS : by listenning your 5150 sample, I'm sure you can tweak a bit your definition and EQ to dial the same kind of tone and get much closer to the original.

• My 6505 profiles fine and thats the similar to a 5150. Can you post an audio sample of the real amp and the profile so I can hear the two.

That's EXACTLY what I did, can't believe you missed that? :pinch:

First real amp, then Kemper profile (and that goes for BOTH clips. They are both A/B tests, it says it in the title (A B))

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well, if it's not good enough for you what makes you think that they are capable of building one that qualifies as "Cederickproof"? 8o

They could adress the issue with some amps not being able to be profiled accurately.

That's the whole idea here. Listen to my clips. The Gallien Krueger was profiled almost perfectly, while the 5150III is very different from the original.

• That's EXACTLY what I did, can't believe you missed that? :pinch:
    First real amp, then Kemper profile (and that goes for BOTH clips. They are both A/B tests, it says it in the title (A B))

In my defence I'm sat in a cafe... I'll give it a listen when I go home.

• Ceddy, baby, relax, bro'. LOL

I didn't spend $1600 to ge ta sub-par product that doesn't do what it say it's supposed to! I'm kinda regretting the Kemper now!!!

You've been there before 'though, haven't you? You've since been stoked with it. I'd take a chill pill, mate; these rollercoaster rides won't do your mojo any good, Ced.

Why is the Kemper incapabale of capturing my 5150?

It is capable. Just 'cause you aren't happy right now, as a novice Profiler, and having not tweaked the crapper out of the thing yet, doesn't mean it's not capable IMHO.

I have e-mailed Kemper and told them to start working on a new Kemper because the current Kemper isn't good enough for me

Oh man, that's hilarious, Cederick. Take that pill now, brah! LOL

by listenning your 5150 sample, I'm sure you can tweak a bit your definition and EQ to dial the same kind of tone and get much closer to the original.

I thought the same thing. Definition first, then EQ, but I'm not experienced enough to know what else can be done. I am certain there'd be other refining measures that'd help 'though. Perhaps even the tube settings? Dunno. All I do know is that IMHO it's not unreasonable to have to tweak a little in order to match, but it is unreasonable, again, IMHO, to expect that one should never have to tweak as part of the Profiling process.

Take that pill, Cederick, and have a lil' ol' tweak, mate. I'm confident you'll get there, and if not, for whatever reason, as has been pointed out, there's a crapload of 5150 Profiles out there. I've heard and really liked a bunch of 'em.

• I was just trying to apply your standard of chosing to take them (Kemper) literally. You than said it (KPA) is not good enough for you. Simple solution: Get something else ;) . Again, what makes you think that they are able (and willing 8) now that you've accused them of telling lies) to build it up to your specifications?

edit: referring to @Cederick obviously :)

• Do you profile the second or third channel on the EVH? I have been doing some profiling of an EVH 5150III 50w yesterday and today, and the profiles of especially the third channel sound simply stunning! It sounded so good through the PA speaker in the practice room that I almost considered going back to FRFR (I run a Powerhead with a traditional 2x12" cab)! The profiles of the second channel was not quite as good, a little loose and too much bass, but so was the real amp at that setting. I read some people claiming that the Kemper has its own gain structure and makes the amp sound tighter than it really is, so I thought that it would not be a problem. Turns out that it is in fact insanely accurate (which I honestly never doubted for a second)! :D

EDIT: Didn't actually read the thread; just the headline. I have profiled a few amps (Fargen Mighty Plex, Marshall SL-5, ENGL Invader, EVH 5150III) and I did have issues profiling the SL-5. Why? Impossible to say, but I know that there was some strange stuff going on with the Kemper. Something was not quite as it should. Profiling the Fargen at a later time, which is a comparable amp (both Marshall style amps), was completely trouble free (with and without a TS). The other amps were also profiled without any hassle whatsoever. Insanely accurate tones, especially the DI profiles which are easy to compare also. I don't believe that there are certain amps the Kemper cannot profile, even the Invader profile sounded great even though the actual amp has a built noise gate. Your Kemper is acting up, and I wish I could tell you how to solve it but I don't... My Kemper started profiling accurately after I upgraded from 3.3 to 4.0.2 beta, but I have no idea if it in fact had anything to do with it. I think other people tried the same thing, and it didn't work. But it is worth a shot, there is a brand new beta out now ;)

Edited 4 times, last by Alfi27 ().