Beginner question - advice for living room jam setup - KPA + e-drums + more?

• Hi all,

I hope I got the right spot for my question. I'm jammin with my guitar & Kemper* with a friend who is playing an e-drum set. Sometimes we add background tracks from my iPod.
    We just started and are connecting everything currenty via a small Behringer mixer to a very cheap monitor box (80€). And it sounds pretty unsatisfying ...

Kemper -> to Behringer mixer -> to cheap monitor box
    E-drum -> to Behringer mixer -> to cheap monitor box
    iPod -> to Behringer mixer -> to cheap monitor box

We are playing in a mid size living room, so we have no option (and no need) to play very loud (just loud enough). Main focus: rock, 80s hair metal ...
    We are playing just for fun, we are both beginners and don't want to spend a fortune. On the other hand we want to have fun with the sound and are not students anymore ... Oh, and we don't plan to play in any other bigger environments (no gigs - just us ;)) We might want to add maybe a digital piano, a bass or a singer in the future though ...

My question:
    What setup would you use/recommend for satisfying sound in that setting? Is it even possible playing at such a low volume and get a nice sound?
    Is the way through the Behringer of the Kemper and the drums to one/two box(es) the right way to go?
    If yes, what box(es) would you use? Monitor boxes like Yamaha 2x HS8s? Or rather 1x Yamaha DXR10?
    Or a completely different setup? Do the Kemper and drums need their own amp/box maybe?

Does that make sens?

Thanks for any advice
    Stef

* I know, a Kemper for a beginner must sound foolish, exagerated ... and it is, of course. But then again it is so much fun!!!! :D

• Real new myself. But, that cheap monitor box is likely your biggest issue. I assume it is powered?

Given all your parameters, seems to me a pair of good powered Monitors would be what you might look at. Assuming the behringer mixer is not coloring your tone, this would allow you to also pan the e drums, backing tracks and guitar a little different in the stereo field AND get a good FRFR reproduction of your Kemper.

I run both JBL 8" monitors normally, and a Matrix amp driving an Atomic CLR FRFR wedge cab when I want that amp in the room complete feel.

But the Matrix/Atomic combo needs a LITTLE more volume for it's best, than the JBLs do. FRFR will work fine with the Drums. MIGHT as well for the backing tracks depending on how they are mixed.

FWIW, you can get a nice Mackie mixer for a little over 100 bucks.

• Hi, a dxr10 will disapoint you at bedrome level because this cab gives a good sound at a loud kevel.
    I also use a cheap behringer mixer at home. My setup at home: 2 krk rookit rp6 g3 active monitors connected to the outs of my steinberg interface. Interface connected via usb to my laptop. Laptop out connected to the mixer. Kpa connected stereo to the mixer. You can connect a piano to the mixer and the e- drums. The main outs from the mixer are connected to the inputs of my interface.
    This solution gives a cool sound of backing tracks and the kpa and you can directly record with cubase or whatever.

You can buy monitors like the krks used for prox. 250 to 300€. I got mine used, 3 month old with full warranty for 280€ with 2 stands. You can see my rig in the thread " post your rig..."

Have fun

Cheers
    Frank

• * I know, a Kemper for a beginner must sound foolish, exagerated ... and it is, of course. But then again it is so much fun!!!!

Welcome!!

Ha, exactly the opposite... You picked the perfect starting amp for your journey, where ever it takes you. You say now, you won't be doing this or never that including playing gigs but you never know. I am set up kinda the same way @cybermgk is, which is Kemper into Scarlett 18i20 and also out to a Mesa 212 Recto via ISP Stealth. SPDIF > Computer. Best of all worlds for me. Cheap monitor box does sound like the weak link and where I'd look to improve your sound. Not sure what your Behringer mixer outs look like but try headphones for both of you and see if there isn't a huge difference.

• I am performing sometimes so whith a friend - he plays Accordeon and both we sings.
    We use a Allan & Heat ZED-10FX mixer (a cheaper Behringer would be good enough) , a Roland mobileCanvas SD50 (Midi/mp3 player) and 2 active monitors.
    For rehearsal in my music room at home we use 2 Studio monitors Behringer B2030A I once get used for 150,-Euro.

For Gigs the active monitors have the biggest influence on the sound. This is a matter of money and ambition.

We normally use cheap Behringer BD210 for small venues and Mackie Thump 12 (borrowed from a friend) for bigger venues or more critical audience.

• I'm also a home user/guitar student. My quite-cheap setup includes a Yamaha AG08 mixer and a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 powered monitors. Plus a MacBook for backing tracks and test recording. Everything is connected to the mixer, including the KPA and headphones. For my room size it sounds pretty decent and loud enough.

• Low end monitors will make it sound bad. If you can, upgrade the monitors and add a small sub. At low volumes you will lose that bass and the e-drums will sound better with a little more bottom for the kick. You can even use keyboard amp and sub. I use a Roland KC-350 with a sub and it sounds awesome with my guitar, keyboards and e-drums. You can also run the KC-350 in stereo, if you wanted to use two of them.

Another option might be a headphone amp and play using headphones. I tried this and it worked great but I still prefer the in the room sound.

• Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome and all the suggestions and insights!
    Seems like an outstanding forum here, wow. Kemper quality, I guess :)

I guess I'll go for the KRK Rookit RP6 G3 monitors then. Or maybe for the JBL 8" (LSR308, right?) or Yamaha HS8 -- I have to check my budget and ask my drummer what he thinks.
    It sounds like the best option money and weight wise. The option to try with headphones sounds good, too.

Have a great weekend everyone
    Up the Irons \m/

Stef

• Feedback loop. Our first results (for all those finding this thread having a similar question):

By chance we got some old, used monitor boxes from friends: Phonic P8A (8 3/4", 45Hz-22kHz) and we tried them out last weekend.

The boxes sounded only 'ok' playing some music from my iPod (somewhat boxy, too much mids I guess?).

But! We were very pleased and happy playing guitar/KPA and e-drums through them via a cheap Behringer mixer.
    In comparison to the cheap single monitor box (80€) we tried before, we were completely satisfied with what
    we got from the Phonics. We'll stick to this solution for now. Satisfying sound for guitar and drums, it's really fun to play.
    It's more than loud enough for our living room setting, we only went up to maybe a third of the possible volume.

The problem playing at a low volume on the other hand is not so much a question of the monitor boxes and their sound,
    but rather the mechanical noise of the guitar and the drums getting too loud to have fun playing. We didn't think of that
    before ... (beginners!) So for some occasions we will try the headphone solution too.

Thanks again to everyone pushing us into the right direction!

Best
    Stefan

PS: Keep in mind we are absolute beginners, playing just for fun!

• I for one have never understood the line of thought that some people have with tools i.e. one should buy a tool commiserate with your skill. In my opinion, one should buy a tool based on their needs, financial capabilities and desire. I came to this thread late but I have run my Kemper through my JBL 4326 monitors and it sound fantastic and plenty loud enough for your situation.They are very nice sounding monitors with adequate bass. The LSR 4300 series has been discontinued and you might find them at a good discount. I also own a Atomic CLR and I would echo what others have said, it is better suited for louder volumes than you appear to be playing at.

• If you hear to much mechanical noise and you want to use headphones then considder closed headphones. I use Beyer dynamic dr 770 when I play with our drummer in his studio on his digital drums. These earphones realy isolate all mechanical noises...... In our rehearsal room ( real drums) I use qsc K 12's stereo for my Kemper and they sound great. If you can find a pair of used qsc K12 or K 10 these sound great for Kemper, digital drums and keys. Our keyboardplayer uses 2 k12's ......

• I guess I'll go for the KRK Rookit RP6 G3

That's the Aussie version, mate - the Roo Kit™.

Why not go for something ultra-cheap like the Behringer B2030A Harry uses? Probably the best bang for buck out there, and I was going to suggest this all along.

Welcome, Stef, and rolandeventide too!

• The Scarlet 6i6 has enough inputs for 4 people, which is great if someone wants to just show up, plug in, and jam with you guys.

For the low volume jam, the Yamaha HS-8's out of the 6i6 are incredible! The clarity and definition of all the different Kemper profiles is blissful, very accurately represented. They can get loud too. We have been using this setup for about a year now.

We also use a Roland TD-11 drum kit, for it's USB MIDI, to trigger Addictive Drums 2. This also frees up input on the 6i6.

It's great not having to rent a practice space, it saves a lot of time and money, and sounds better than I could've imagined.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I for one have never understood the line of thought that some people have with tools i.e. one should buy a tool commiserate with your skill. In my opinion, one should buy a tool based on their needs, financial capabilities and desire. I came to this thread late but I have run my Kemper through my JBL 4326 monitors and it sound fantastic and plenty loud enough for your situation.They are very nice sounding monitors with adequate bass. The LSR 4300 series has been discontinued and you might find them at a good discount. I also own a Atomic CLR and I would echo what others have said, it is better suited for louder volumes than you appear to be playing at.

Agree. And, actually, with some gear, better quality can actually improve your skill, as it exposes bad stuff in technique etc, that lesser gear may have been obfuscating.