Not convinced with kempers pedal calibration: FIX NEEDED?

• I agree that this design is rather not good, but those pedals are here and we would like to use them with KPA. And simple function of locking calibrated range would allow us to use our pedals. :) BTW, Isn't Mission EP1-KP (for Kemper) pedal of the same faulty design/construction? Maybe it works different, but it looks no different to CryBaby design.
    [Blocked Image: http://deluxeguitars.com.au//m…ssion-ep1kemper-2-400.jpg][Blocked Image: http://www.fullcompass.com/com…ducts/original/243867.jpg]

@timo please, what is continuous calibration good for? And what's the purpose of calibration button / calibration screen, if after we calibrate pedal to desired range, KPA re-calibrates it afterwards to different values?
    And last and I think most important question is: Will we get some kind of "Lock range/Continuous calibration disable" button? Thank you!

Just to put things in perspective.

We are selling the Mission EP1-KP in our online store. So we have these on stock. We picked a few and tested those and there is no issue. The difference between the "normal continuous working range" and the activation of the button is extremely small, nearly not noticable. Consequently the pedal range always stays at full 127. These pedals work seamlessly with the Profiler.

• BTW, Isn't Mission EP1-KP (for Kemper) pedal of the same faulty design/construction

The EP1-KP works perfectly here. It does not change the resistance further when you hit the switch. Actually, we had no complaints about it at all.

• @Burkhard @timo Thank you guys for your time.

Now I see two solutions to my issue:

1. Developers would allow users to disable automatic continuous calibration by soft button, leaving setting of calibration range fully to user's desire. This would cover all those "toe-faulty" non-conforming pedals in the future,

or

2. I will somehow mod my pedal to conform to existing KPA calibration.

:)

Judging it from developers' perspective, No.1 is likely not going to happen, if they don't have complaints about it. And I am OK with it.

• i think the kemper team understand both sides of the argument and that not everyone will choose to buy the mision "approved" pedal(s) in the same way not everyone will use the dedicated kemper remote.
    i firmly believe they will consider to make allowances for all possible/future "realistic" scenarios (alternative devices?) and continue to develop a product that is flexible and beats the competition in every area, including what they're best at- listening to its customers. :thumbup:

• i firmly believe they will consider to make allowances for all possible/future "realistic" scenarios (alternative devices?) and continue to develop a product that is flexible and beats the competition in every area, including what they're best at- listening to its customers.

Amen to that bro!

• Here is our point of view:

We have probably the best and easiest calibration procedure possible. Usually you don't even have to do the procedure, just move the peda.
    The calibration has been tested against all brandet expression pedals on the market.
    We have not tested against no-name pedals and we do not guarantee for proper operation with DIY solutions, as well as volume pedals used as expression pedal using a Y-cable.
    In nearly half decade of the profilers presence we have had only been presented a handful of situations that did not work, in contrast to thousands of users that work trouble-free with recommended and other pedals.

There is no point for us to add an over-complicated method to an easy solution and, a consequence, confuse the other thousands of users.

I am sure you can see our point.

• Kudos to @ckemper for taking time and responding. As I wrote earlier, I am OK with this no-solution-from-kemper-side and I knew it will end up like this. That's why I modded my DIY pedal mechanics and now it works well.
    Changes I made:
    1. I set up the pot so in the heel position I have start of the pot where there is small margin of 0 resistance, so heel position is covered.
    2. As I don't have access to custom 200 degrees turn pots, or specific taper characteristics I have no other choice as to use common 300 degrees turn pot, 10kOhm, linear. So the toe position has to be taken care of mechanically. I removed the switch, which as @Burkhard mentioned, is not really necessary thanks to Bypass@xxx function which works well. I replaced rubber parts with stiff parts, so there is hard-end at toe position, which is covered by 5% margin @timo mentioned earlier.

Only one issue has not been resolved: There is manual re-calibration needed if pedal is disconnected-reconnected from powered-on KPA. As I don't disconnect pedal frequently, I can live with it.

Only one issue has not been resolved: There is manual re-calibration needed if pedal is disconnected-reconnected from powered-on KPA. As I don't disconnect pedal frequently, I can live with it.

Are you using current software? We don't think what you describe has ever been necessary except, if you connect the expression pedal for the very first time.

I'm testing here with current software and I just need to plug in my Mission Pedal into any pedal socket and it is recognized immediately, full range, even without pressing Calibrate, even after a reset of all global settings.

• I am using latest 5.0.3

- When I reconnect cable at pedal, calibration bar goes to 2/3 and I have to re-calibrate. I think this is consequence of KPA detecting resistance of full range of pot (10k) on tip/ring during jack insertion. But working range of my pedal is only 7.6k, because I am not able to use whole range of generic 300 degrees pot. So this is not problem at KPA side. :)

- When I reconnect cable at KPA, calibration bar goes to ~95% and I have to recalibrate.

I think Mission pedal uses full range of pot, so it doesn't have this problem. Probably it has 200 degrees pot or pot with characteristic I posted earlier.

• Kemper do an awesome job (no one disputes that!) but, as @Peto has discovered, the plugging/unplugging of a pedal can register "new values" and invoke the auto-calibration that is implemented (an unwanted side-effect for a few of us it seems)
    As only a few users have highlighted their problems with their chosen devices in context @ckemper is correct, it does not warrant changing things for the sake of a few of us. I do wonder how many others have yet to encounter the problem perhaps by not noticing it (dont use an expression pedal), not letting it bother them or by avoiding it through using a midi-basd controller. (no news is good news)
    I dont use my expression pedal enough to justify the cost of a "mission" or other pedal and for that reason will live with the issues i have or create a work-around. This aside, i have had other problems in the past and support as recognised them and fixed them so i have no qualms with the KPA team.

Think it might be time to put this case to sleep as everything that has to be said has been said?
    but before we close the case, is there a list of "approved" expression pedals? (or even incompatible devices)
    time for a new list....?

• @Peto I cannot reproduce that situation with my Mission. If I pull out the plug half way, the bar goes to 80% yes. As soon as I plug it in again, the pedal works again across the whole range without calibration.

• @Peto I cannot reproduce that situation with my Mission. If I pull out the plug half way, the bar goes to 80% yes. As soon as I plug it in again, the pedal works again across the whole range without calibration.

Yes, that is to be expected, because as I suppose, Mission pedal probably uses whole pot range, so maximum resistance on tip will be equal to resistance between sleeve and ring. This is not true for my pedal and that's the reason I have to re-calibrate. You can try to measure the Mission pedal (max res. on sleeve vs. tip & sleeve vs. ring), unfortunately I have no access to Mission pedal.