External looper pedal

• Hello!

So, after thinking about it for a loooong time I went and got myself a looper pedal today, a Boss RC-30. Came home. Realized I have no clue on how I should connect this to my Kemper (non-powered toaster). Figured I should connect it to the Effects Loop, so I did this:

Direct output on the Kemper to Boss Input (Instrument in)
    Return input on the Kemper to the Boss Output
    Guitar to to the Kemper front input

Now I may very well be an idiot when it comes to connect cables but this is how I have run other pedals on the Kempers FX Loop and that has worked fine BUT... I do realize that the output on the RC30 is supposed to go directly to amp/monitors you're using. I did get sound from the kemper but it seems like the RC30 are not recording or not playing what I have recorded.

Does anyone here care to give me a little help to set this up right? Would be much appriciated. :)

• try not going through the effect loop, so go guitar into the looper and out of the RC output straight into the input of the kemper ?

In this case you can not change the sound of the guitar without changing also the sound of the loop recorded before - is'nt it?

• What is your current setup / signal chain?

Try the looper "at the end". E.g. using main out or monitor out and then go from them looper to the amp/monitor. Using a small mixer could help also.

• What is your current setup / signal chain?

Try the looper "at the end". E.g. using main out or monitor out and then go from them looper to the amp/monitor. Using a small mixer could help also.

Guitar->Kemper->Studio Monitors

I would recommend looper after the Kemper. This way, you will not run into problems if you change profiles or turn off the loop on the Kemper.

Guitar -> Kemper -> Main Out -> Boss RC20 -> Monitors

If you want to try it in the loop, make sure you use the appropriate loop type, I believe it will be the mono loop of the Kemper.

I will try that, have been away for a few days and just got back.

For better integration of the external looper I'd recommend to put it in a loop placed in the X, Mod or Delay slot.

That was my first try, but I believe that I connected the cables wrong - I got no sound from the RC30 -
    Guitar -> Kemper (RC30 in the FX Loop) -> Monitors

But I guess... that a better approach would be:
    Guitar -> Kemper (RC30 in the FX Loop -> Monitors)

...note sure. Told you I'm a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like this... but thanks for all the answers, much appriciated! :thumbup::thumbup:

• i think the confusion was that OP had a powered kemper and was looking for HARD connections with cables only. in this case, i went from guitar into kemper, kemper MONITOR OUT to RC-30 IN, RC-30 OUT to SCarlet INPUT, or mixer input, wherin I could ONLY hear the RC-30 from the headphones of the Scarlet or from Mixer and can NOT hear anything (frm the rc-30, only guitar signal) from the Kemper headphones...hence the problem is that OP has no return signal going back into the kemper...im sure there is a solution, but all i know is this works for me with the scarlet and/or mixer.

• How about this way...

Guitar --> Looper --> Kemper input

So you can loop a riff with a dry signal and browse thru all the rigs to hear which one sounds the best for that riff. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• coincidence thread bump. I have an issue with external loopers in the fx loop AFTER stack, there is a big volume drop compared to the stomps section where it works as normal. tried with 2 different loopers and both give a volume drop.

Can you put the looper between the monitor out and kemper kab?

• Hi, clarkydaz,

coincidence thread bump. I have an issue with external loopers in the fx loop AFTER stack, there is a big volume drop compared to the stomps section where it works as normal. tried with 2 different loopers and both give a volume drop.

✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄

Check out this post ? Stereo Loop volume drop?

• I put mine between the main output of the Kemper and the input of my audio interface.

So I have

Guitar -> Kemper Input -> magic -> Kemper Output -> audio interface -> DAW -> Monitors

This way I can record a loop with the desired sound (say a clean amp setting). Then play the loop and change the Kemper to something different (say, more gain) and the back stays clean and the new signal has more gain.

If you put it early in the chain and change the Kemper amp setting the loop is affected. Of course some people WANT this - if they do, do it before.