External looper pedal

• Hello!

So, after thinking about it for a loooong time I went and got myself a looper pedal today, a Boss RC-30. Came home. Realized I have no clue on how I should connect this to my Kemper (non-powered toaster). Figured I should connect it to the Effects Loop, so I did this:

Direct output on the Kemper to Boss Input (Instrument in)
    Return input on the Kemper to the Boss Output
    Guitar to to the Kemper front input

Now I may very well be an idiot when it comes to connect cables but this is how I have run other pedals on the Kempers FX Loop and that has worked fine BUT... I do realize that the output on the RC30 is supposed to go directly to amp/monitors you're using. I did get sound from the kemper but it seems like the RC30 are not recording or not playing what I have recorded.

Does anyone here care to give me a little help to set this up right? Would be much appriciated. :)

• I would recommend looper after the Kemper. This way, you will not run into problems if you change profiles or turn off the loop on the Kemper.

Guitar -> Kemper -> Main Out -> Boss RC20 -> Monitors

If you want to try it in the loop, make sure you use the appropriate loop type, I believe it will be the mono loop of the Kemper.

• What is your current setup / signal chain?

Try the looper "at the end". E.g. using main out or monitor out and then go from them looper to the amp/monitor. Using a small mixer could help also.

Guitar->Kemper->Studio Monitors

I would recommend looper after the Kemper. This way, you will not run into problems if you change profiles or turn off the loop on the Kemper.

Guitar -> Kemper -> Main Out -> Boss RC20 -> Monitors

If you want to try it in the loop, make sure you use the appropriate loop type, I believe it will be the mono loop of the Kemper.

I will try that, have been away for a few days and just got back.

For better integration of the external looper I'd recommend to put it in a loop placed in the X, Mod or Delay slot.

That was my first try, but I believe that I connected the cables wrong - I got no sound from the RC30 -
    Guitar -> Kemper (RC30 in the FX Loop) -> Monitors

But I guess... that a better approach would be:
    Guitar -> Kemper (RC30 in the FX Loop -> Monitors)

...note sure. Told you I'm a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like this... but thanks for all the answers, much appriciated! :thumbsup::thumbup:

• i think the confusion was that OP had a powered kemper and was looking for HARD connections with cables only. in this case, i went from guitar into kemper, kemper MONITOR OUT to RC-30 IN, RC-30 OUT to SCarlet INPUT, or mixer input, wherin I could ONLY hear the RC-30 from the headphones of the Scarlet or from Mixer and can NOT hear anything (frm the rc-30, only guitar signal) from the Kemper headphones...hence the problem is that OP has no return signal going back into the kemper...im sure there is a solution, but all i know is this works for me with the scarlet and/or mixer.

• How about this way...

Guitar --> Looper --> Kemper input

So you can loop a riff with a dry signal and browse thru all the rigs to hear which one sounds the best for that riff. ;)

The more you find what Kemper can do then the harder you try to find what it cannot do -- like make a good cup of Frappuccino.

• coincidence thread bump. I have an issue with external loopers in the fx loop AFTER stack, there is a big volume drop compared to the stomps section where it works as normal. tried with 2 different loopers and both give a volume drop.

Can you put the looper between the monitor out and kemper kab?

• Hi, clarkydaz,

coincidence thread bump. I have an issue with external loopers in the fx loop AFTER stack, there is a big volume drop compared to the stomps section where it works as normal. tried with 2 different loopers and both give a volume drop.

✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄

Check out this post 👉 Stereo Loop volume drop?