OS 5.0 Experiences thread

• Just had my 3rd 5.0 gig last night and everything went flawlessly, including some fantastic new delay settings to replace the older ones. Got lots of compliments and inquiries about the Kemper in general. Great night of classic rock!

Gary ô¿ô

• I hope, it contains the Harmony Delays

5.0.3 is only bug-fixes. Check the announcement.

What I find slightly annoying is that the inconsistency wrt the state of the device after boot never get resolved. These are annoyances more than they are bugs, and have been there for as long as I can remember. As a programmer myself I consider these really low-hanging-fruit wrt efforts required for a fix. Simply put: either boot the device to a default state, or completely restore the last saved state prior to shutdown. As it stands the list of rigs in the browser isn't fully restored with filters and ordering which affect both the front-panel UI and the remote until the filters are changed, nor is the performance that is activated when perf-mode is activated for the first time after boot completely initialised. There are typically rigs that do not have their EQ and cab-settings applied fully before switching to a different performance and back. I have made it a routine to switch back and forth after booting, but these little things are still annoying.

• 5.0.3 is only bug-fixes. Check the announcement.
    What I find slightly annoying is that the inconsistency wrt the state of the device after boot never get resolved. These are annoyances more than they are bugs, and have been there for as long as I can remember. As a programmer myself I consider these really low-hanging-fruit wrt efforts required for a fix. Simply put: either boot the device to a default state, or completely restore the last saved state prior to shutdown. As it stands the list of rigs in the browser isn't fully restored with filters and ordering which affect both the front-panel UI and the remote until the filters are changed, nor is the performance that is activated when perf-mode is activated for the first time after boot completely initialised. There are typically rigs that do not have their EQ and cab-settings applied fully before switching to a different performance and back. I have made it a routine to switch back and forth after booting, but these little things are still annoying.

I like the current behaviour where all changes that were made are retained. This can be quite useful. As you mentioned, it is a simple matter of switching to another profile and back in order to go back to the original profile.

• I like the current behaviour where all changes that were made are retained. This can be quite useful. As you mentioned, it is a simple matter of switching to another profile and back in order to go back to the original profile.

I wouldn't complain if it just was that the box had retained changes made prior to shutdown. In fact, I wouldn't mind that at all. The issue with perf-mode is that some seemingly random EQ and cab-settings for one or more rigs in a performance do not get applied the first time perf-mode is engaged after boot. You risk editing the rig in a slot, and get some defaults applied to settings in other slots when you save the performance. This issue was reported about 18 months ago, and acknowledged by support. Why the process of opening the initial performance is any different from the process later of switching to a different performance is beyond me. As a developer I find it logical to do these jobs with the same piece of code, but it obviously is not. To retain changes one would also first need to first fully restore the previously saved performance and then re-apply changes made in the previous session from a stored copy of editing actions.

The issue with browse-mode is that previously applied rig filters such as "current author" appear to be applied on reboot, but that the search has not been executed so that the rig-list initially is empty. Issue reported and acknowledged.

The remote relate to a "position" in the browser rig-list and offer switching to the next/prior few rigs in the list. After re-boot the profiler returns to the previously selected rig somewhere in the alphabetic list. Buttons on the front-panel and switches on the remote are OTOH aimed at the top of the list. If I for example was playing a V-something rig the KPA returns to that rig on reboot, but next/prev buttons bring me to /13-rigs or whatever else is at the top of the list. During boot a pointer should be re-initilised pointing the UI and remote to the correct position in the rig-list.

Edited 3 times, last by heldal ().

• I wouldn't complain if it just was that the box had retained changes made prior to shutdown. In fact, I wouldn't mind that at all. The issue with perf-mode is that some seemingly random EQ and cab-settings for one or more rigs in a performance do not get applied the first time perf-mode is engaged after boot.

we've fixed that. if it still happens for you please contact support by email and provide more details.
    thanks!

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• we've fixed that. if it still happens for you please contact support by email and provide more details.thanks!

Thanks. I try to read release-notes carefully, but haven't noticed that fix. The problem hasn't bitten me lately, but then I've been taking my precautions ;) The other mentioned issues with initialisation remain though.

• On a gig yesterday I suddenly had a high-gain rigs being way too loud (in perf-mode). I had to turn the rig-volume down to about half of what it previously was to match the other slots in the same performance. At first I suspected that it was a random thing, but it appear to be more general. The gain seem to affect the volume of rigs much more than before. Collections of rigs made from the same amp with different gain-settings that previously were reasonably volume-matched now vary a lot in volume depending on the gain (browsing rigs from my TAF collections).

Does anyone else experience the same with the latest beta (5.0.3.12660B)?

• Is your Clean Sense still set correctly for your guitar? Maybe the input settings somehow got unlocked, making them vary with each rig?

Input settings are locked in browse-mode, and I experience huge differences in volume between rigs that were previously volume-matched.

In perf-mode input settings are unlocked, but all the rigs in question have their input senses at 0dB. Locking makes no difference. I don't know whether the settings were locked or not before the last upgrade. Would have to downgrade and restore an old backup to check.

• Input settings are locked in browse-mode, and I experience huge differences in volume between rigs that were previously volume-matched.
    In perf-mode input settings are unlocked, but all the rigs in question have their input senses at 0dB. Locking makes no difference. I don't know whether the settings were locked or not before the last upgrade. Would have to downgrade and restore an old backup to check.

I experienced something similar to this several months ago, then the problem disappeared after an update and hasn't occurred again...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Just experienced another anomaly in 5.0.3.12660B. The unit froze, with nothing other than a monitor and the remote connected to it. It continued to produce audio, but knobs were non-responsive and the remote went blank. On reboot everything seems ok, except for the remote LCD and LED-settings being reverted to default. Other settings in the system-section seem unchanged as far as I'm able to tell.

• Input settings are locked in browse-mode, and I experience huge differences in volume between rigs that were previously volume-matched.

Locking in Browse Mode and Performance Mode are and have always been independent. By default - if the unit is brandnew or a reset of global settings has been performed - everything is unlocked (all Modules, Sections, Tempo, Volume Pedal) in Browse Mode as well as in Performance Mode with one exception, which is the Input Section in Browse Mode. This one is locked by default. By default Clean Sens and Distortion Sens are both locked at 0.0 dB and Input Noise Gate at 0 in Browse Mode. However, that could be changed by the user. So if the user sets locked Clean Sens to +6.0 dB in Browse Mode, this will affect all Rigs loaded in Browse Mode and even be stored with the Rig, if the Rig gets stored. If you unlock the Input Section, Clean Sens, Distortion Sens and Noise Gate levels stored in the Rigs are taking effect. In all our Factory Rigs those are originally stored at 0. But if you have created your own Rigs, downloaded Rigs from the Rig Exchange or acquired commercial Rig Packs, their values could be different.

Any backup does include all global settings. If you restore an old backup, also its locking will take effect. So there is no need to downgrade.

As soon as you change your guitar, use other pickups, turn up or down the guitar's volume pot or push the strings harder, the volume balance between clean and distorted Rigs might change and might require an adaptation of Clean Sens.