Extremly loud bass

• Hello,

I got my Kemper 3 days ago. So I'm new :)

I really love the Kemper and it's sounds just awesome.

Except over my monitors.

If i do palm mutes the bass will get so extremely loud that I can't hear the distortion itself anymore and everything like my table and things on it start to vibrate.

But this happens not with all of the profiles.
    It's mainly the high gain stuff.

The monitors aren't too loud or something like that, because if I listen to music, their is no problem like that.

So it must have to do something with the Kemper or my stupidity ;)

If I reduce the bass on the EQ so that its not to loud anymore, it will sound very bad because there is almost no bass left.

I tried different pickup highs and different guitars, so it's also not the guitars fault.

If I play over headphones or with my 2x12 cabinet everything is like it's supposed to be and the bass is fine.

Maybe somebody can help me?

And I'm sorry for my bad English

Cheers

• Firstly, what's the room that your monitors are placed in like? Where in that room are they placed? Is there any bass trapping? Try playing a test sweep from 20 Hz - 400 Hz and see if you hear any resonances between 100-200 Hz. Without any acoustic treatment, I'll bet that the sweep will sound really uneven; some parts almost disappearing and others causing your desk to vibrate. Low guitar palm mutes will excite any room modes and resonances around 100-150 Hz, which is typical of a small room with no acoustic treatment. The phenomenon won't be as apparent with a full mix, so you probably wouldn't have noticed it before.

• @momos11
    general guidelines are:
    place your speakers on 'pads' to de-couple them from the desk they are most likely standing on
    don't place your speaker too close to a wall, corners are even worse (especially if the monitors are rear ported)
    smaller monitors sometimes try to compensate their size by using very narrowly tuned bass ports, your palm mutes might just hit this frequency area
    and/or your room might have a standing wave at the frequency of your palm mutes

like you said, headphones are fine, so the issue isn't the Profiler. 'fixing' this with EQ would mean to treat an issue in the time domain (your acoustics) in the frequency domain

• Thanks for all of the advice's.

So I tried it with and EQ sweep and the irritating Bass appears at 135-145 Hz.

I managed to lower the volume of this frequencys without losing the overall good quality.

And @DonPetersen

Yes, the speaker's are actually in a corner and directly in front of the wall.

Unfortunately I don't have enough room to place them "right".

So looks like turning down the mentioned frequencys is the only working solution at the moment.
    But it works fine so the problem is solved.

But can somebody explain me, why I don't have the same problem when listening to music?

• But can somebody explain me, why I don't have the same problem when listening to music?

Compression.

Most newer metal albums, for instance, have REALLY tight low end on the guitars thanks to aggressive high-passing and multiband compression on the palm mute lows. Google "Andy Sneap multiband guitars" for a great starting point.

This is also why EQ before the amp is really handy - when people talking about using a Tube Screamer to "tighten" up the low end of their amp, it's because most overdrive pedals roll off the lows. The amp produces a lot of low end anyway, so you can safely get rid of those boomy regions beforehand without hurting the overall tone too much.

• Hi, I am sorry to revive this thread, but i seem to face the same issues.
    I play over monitors (placed on isopads) at relatively low volumes. Sometimes i play so quiet that the acoustics of the guitar are louder than the monitor output, but I seem the have one "enemy". A palm muted E Note on the lower strings... Its really frustrating! I tried out several different guitars in different tunings - everytime I hit a palmmuted e note on any of the two lowest strings, the bass response is so insane, it nearly cuts my head of :D

I find it very strange that when I hit a palm muted F or a palm muted Eb this insane bass boost doesnt occur.. so it clearly has to do with the E note. Even at very low volumes the bass gets so insanely powerful that I have to stop playing after a few minutes because it is so fatiguing to the ear...
    I tried several different EQ settings. Reducing the general Bass in the main output section doesnt help at all. Placing a Highpass filter into the signal chain actually helps, but only to a certain extent. The boominess of the e note is still there, but every further highpass only seems to decrease the general soundquality.

Does anybody have the same issues or am I doing something completely wrong here? Because EVERY other note doesnt create this thunderous bass when palm muted except that damn E note ?( And playing music without an E actually is not the best solution for me :D

• I have added a Graphic EQ dropping the 80hz frequencies completely, and the 160 hz to at about -7.5db. This actually helps a little bit, but any further EQ cutting would change the overall sounds of the profiles too much i guess. I am so completely clueless why this only seems to happen when playing an E note ?(?( I play at relatively low volume and everytime I hit an E my head seems to fall of because the bass is exploding like crazy. I guess if it would be an overall problem of my room, this would happen on more notes on the low e string, but it only is the E note. The most extreme bass boost is a fretted E note on the low e string in the 12th fret.

Well the benefit I is, that I can now clearly point out every E note on all my guitars in different tunings without having to think about it because the bass resonance instantly tells me: "well heres your E note" :D

• I have exact the same problem with the C note at Drop C.

Maybe try to use the Green Scream to clear it out a bit more.
    The Low Shift parameter at the Cabinet settings helps maybe too.

Its kind of try and error until you find a working solution.

Some profiles have natural more bass than others, maybe you should try another profile?

Which Profile(amp) are you using ?

• Does your monitors have settings at the back you could change?

As an example mine have different options for various room possibility's.
    This takes the aggressive, "boomines" causing, bass away.

• Does your monitors have settings at the back you could change?

As an example mine have different options for various room possibility's.
    This takes the aggressive, "boomines" causing, bass away.

Yeah, I've got a pair of JBL LS305s. They have a low frequency trimmer, which I already activated. I guess what @sambrox said could be the issue. Perhaps the frequencies of the E note cause that problem in my room... I just find it very strange because the bass boom also happens at really really low volumes too. Well I don't know nothing about room acoustics and all this frequency science/magic. I guess I have to figure out a way to kill this E note frequency madness :D

• Well, when playing with headphones the E notes bass response doesn't stand out compared to the other notes. So it clearly must be a bad room resonance...
    I am amazed haha I have never even heard of such a phenomenon, but that bass explosion in the room is insane :D now i just have to find a way to fix this issue ?(