Remote Fast Scrolling Causing Reboots

• Hello,

I didn't see this here but I have been slow to upgrade to OS 4.2.2 since I have been gigging--I wanted to wait for the release version. I just updated last week when it came out and this has happened to me a few times. Wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this:

On 4.2.2.12590 release version, in Performance mode when fast scrolling (holding down the down button), going from say Performance #22 down to #1 rapidly, it freezes the KPA then reboots the Remote. While the Remote is rebooting, it does go to back Performance #1 and unfreezes. The Remote then boots back up. It didn't do this before I upgraded. I would say the KPA freezes for about 10 seconds, then the Remote reboots and the KPA comes back on once that starts rebooting. I'm using the factory cable on the Remote.

Any ideas or thoughts? Wondering if this was a known issue or not.

J

• I'm on 4.2.2 and have not had this behavior. Is it easily repeatable (happens every time you fast scroll with the remote) or only happens now and then?

At a guess, it sounds like a power problem to the remote to me. Do you have a short (like 3ft/1m) Ethernet cable laying around you could temporarily try with the remote and see if the reboot problem still happens? Odd that it appeared on a FW upgrade, but as no-one else has reported this (and 4.2.2 has been out a while now) I'd try a short Ethernet to try and nail down the cause.

• Thanks,

I've done it twice since upgrading and it did that both times. I can try it again next time I hook everything up and play around with it.

I don't do that often, it's usually just when I'm either on stage or at a rehearsal and we are playing the same set as previously, so I will hit that scroll button down to go back to the start. We do anywhere from 20-40+ songs in one night, so maybe that's more than it can handle, haha. But I don't recall it happening to me before this particular update. It's always been pretty slow to respond, like it will take maybe 5-10 seconds to show that it's back on #1 instead of #40 but it's still active and the remote didn't reboot.

BTW, way off topic, but I am also from Utah and I believe we have a mutual friend (Nate). I may have given you some advice regarding using a Tube Screamer with a THD Amp once, a very long time ago. I recognize the username. Haha. ;)

J

• Oh yeah, I remember you. Haha. Didnt know you had jumped over to a Kemper :) Kinda strange bumping into you here!

I have the same "screen is slow to respond" problem, but never had a reboot issue. I do use a POE injector though to power a longer Ethernet cable out to the remote (60ft).

When in UT are you? If you're near to downtown SLC I'm more than happy to loan my remote and original cable to help you troubleshoot the problem if needed.

I really think it is an ethernet power issue. The voltage drop down the cable really seems to put the remote right on the edge of where the Remote has enough power to be stable. I suspect this is the reason they don't recommend using cheaper (thinner gauge) ethernet cables, or any length longer than the factory one (without adding a POE).

I really don't understand why the KPA wasn't just designed with an internal POE injector. Its a simple and cheap piece of circuitry that would have negated a lot of problems and allowed the use of any old Ethernet cable when the one in use gets tripped over, too short, crushed, tab breaks off etc, etc!

• Thanks Mate,

What you are saying makes sense. I'm going to play around with it this weekend and see if I can get it to repeat the issue. I want to make sure it's not just something that happened the first few times. One thing I remembered was that both times was right after it finished booting the Remote, so perhaps it wasn't 100% finished booting to begin with. Like if there are remaining processes happening, there could be a voltage or signal drop if I'm doing that while it's still sending communications from the boot up process.

I will report back!

J

• So, I tried it a few times and it didn't come back this time. It was pretty slow to go back to #1 but it didn't reboot. Another thing I thought of was that in both of those cases, I had actually plugged in the Remote after I had powered on the KPA. This time, the remote was plugged in before the KPA was turned on. So perhaps that is another X factor.

However, ay my gigs this weekend there is randomly a Hall reverb turned on with some of my presets. These are TAF presets and I think those were on with the original presets, but I had them off for the last like 2 years! So, I'm going to set everything up at home and try doing some resets, really check each preset and other things. Maybe something got messed up during the upgrade process. I don't usually need to do that after OS updates, but maybe this time it needs some help.

Thanks for your replies,
    J

• However, ay my gigs this weekend there is randomly a Hall reverb turned on with some of my presets. These are TAF presets and I think those were on with the original presets, but I had them off for the last like 2 years! So, I'm going to set everything up at home and try doing some resets, really check each preset and other things. Maybe something got messed up during the upgrade process. I don't usually need to do that after OS updates, but maybe this time it needs some help.

This is a bug, you should update to 4.2.2 where this has been fixed.

• Thanks for your help Timo--you are correct, I am currently on 4.0.6. I mistakenly thought I was on 4.2.2. I plan to update tonight before I do anything else. I apologize for listing the wrong OS in the thread title, I will take it out.

J

• Okay,

I updated to 4.2.2 from 4.0.6--I had forgotten I did that intermediate upgrade first. The issue with the Reverb turning on is fixed. However, the remote still does reboot when fast scrolling down. Here is what I did this time:

I had been using the KPA during the whole gig (4.5 hours total). There were 34 Performances that I go through, in sequence from 1 to 34. Then I held down the Down button on the Remote to scroll back to #1 for the following night where we repeat. I first tried just doing a little at a time. I would hold it down for about 2 seconds and let it go. It took about 4 seconds for the screens to update and it was on #25. I held it down again for about 4 seconds and let go. Took about 6 seconds to update the screens and was on #15. Then I held it down for about 10 seconds. After letting it go, the KPA was frozen for about 30 seconds. Then the KPA screen updated to Performance #1 and the Remote crashed and rebooted. So it seems that the longer you hold it down the more likely it is to crash and reboot.

So, this has happened quite a few times now. I have some good quality CAT cables that are shorter I can try next at home.

J