Can i use this 2x12 Box with my Kemper?

• The answer is yes and no. Yes you can but with caution that you cannot turn it up too much, as you can damage your speakers. The Kemper power amp was really designed for monitor/speaker systems that can handle larger ratings. Personally I would not use this cabinet and the Kemper powered outputs, would get a separate power amp that falls below the cabinets ratings to run this cabinet, use the monitor unpowered output on the Kemper.

As per the Kemper faq's page:
    "The internal power amp delivers 600 watts at 8 ohms; however, the wattage will be lowered to 300 watts when used at 16 ohms.
    The power amplifier provides sufficient headroom to avoid clipping, even with dynamic clean sounds. Very loud signals and transients will then be compressed by a nice, organic-sounding, soft-clipping circuit.
    You should, however, use these 600 watts of power with caution - if you are running at high volumes and notice any indications of speaker distress, turn down "Monitor Volume" or "Power Amp Boost"."

Edited 3 times, last by drog ().

• Think of how loud a 100w amp could get through that cabinet. Hell, I've never even been able to turn my 6505 2x12 up all the way and it's only 65 watts.

That's how loud you could go with the Kemper before having to worry about the speakers. It may not be very high on the Kemper's Volume knob, but it's still fucking loud. Start with the Volume at 0 and turn it up slowly while you play. You'll hear the speakers distorting if you go too high.

• Call me cautious, but I always chose speakers with a higher rating than my amp. Not only to protect my speakers but to keep my output clean and no speaker distortion.

Like I said, you could use it and yes it would be loud before any damage , but why bother playing that game when so many other options for a speaker or power amp?

• 120 watts is loud. Way loud, if you play distorted sounds. Not so loud if you send a completely clean, uncompressed sound....so that's where one should look out for trouble.

I'm not familiar with how "power amp boost" etc works. What one should know to make safe settings for a cab of lower rating is; at what point does is the Kemper capable of delivering 600 watts? Is it with Monitor Volume at max? In what way does "power amp boost" come into play?

If you know at what setting the Kemper is capable of 600 watts, every 3 dB's of attenuation down from that point will halve the output wattage. 6 dB's down will thus yield 150 watts. -7 dB gives you 120 watt.

I use a 1000W amp with a 160W cab myself. But I know the sensitivity of the amp and the dBu output of the Kemper, so I can easily keep it all in the safe zone :)

• Can i use this Box:

m.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?ref=mrp_or_0

With the Kemper - Power Head Version?

Hi kerazy,

i bought the same cabinet some time ago. I have put one of its vintage 30's in a custom 1x12 cabinet and i am using this combination with my PowerHead for over one year now. I am just a bit careful to not turn it up too much, but i did not ever have the feeling that i could damage the speaker, even when plaing 'against' acoustic drums during rehearsals.

As the harley benton cabinet has two of these speakers, i suppose that it would take even more power to damage these. So, as long as you not "go medieval" ( :D ) on this cabinet, i think you will be fine.

On a side note: I think, considering the price, this cabinet is really great!

• Wow thank you for all the answers guys - it helped me a lot!

Not only because now i know if i buy the cabinet or not, further more because now i understood all that electricity stuff (not my world..:D )

Thanks!

p.s. i will buy it :)

//Michael

• May i offer an alternative ? Has any one seen the new Mission 4X12??
    I own the Gemini STEREO FRFR.. very impressed with it.
    i am thinking of getting rack just for this Cab

https://missionengineering.com…roducts/speakers/km-212p/

The KM-212P is the first conventional guitar speaker cabinet optimized for use with modelers. The KM-212P is ideal for those who prefer a traditional guitar cab over full range speaker. A slanted baffle with two diagonally opposed, extended high frequency drivers provides improved high frequency response and dispersion over a typical cabinet, without requiring tweeters and crossovers like a full range monitor.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• thanks Ash for your post - i checked the Box you mentioned, looks nice aswell! I was just looking for a 2x12 Box! :)

• Okee i was going to suggest the Gemini 2 Stereo 2x12 smaller) , but thats FRFR and you have the 600 watt beast power head....
    is this for home or stage???? You sure a 4X12 is too big??

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Okee i was going to suggest the Gemini 2 Stereo 2x12 smaller) , but thats FRFR and you have the 600 watt beast power head....
    is this for home or stage???? You sure a 4X12 is too big??

Ash

It will be for rehearsals and stage too. On stage i will use the Kemper over the PA - if the Pa allows it.. :)

• You should be able to use that 2x12 Cab with your Power Kemper. Just use common sense with the volume. Unless you are micing the cab (I don;t think you would), monitor volumes should manageable.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Thomas

• You should be able to use that 2x12 Cab with your Power Kemper. Just use common sense with the volume. Unless you are micing the cab (I don;t think you would), monitor volumes should manageable.

Yea i think so too... Box is already ordered, i hope to get it on friday!