whatever (solved) bug caused confusion

• in 4.2 the rectishaper changed, therefore the sound of some profiles changed heavily...

before that the older delay types changed, when the older delays got
    replaced by the legacy delay...

or volume settings of the input and so on ...

i don't know if there is enough space on the memory of the kemper to
    leave older versions of the effects untouched and in the new version but
    it would makes sense like in my case at the moment ...

also the volume and routing settings go to a default state after
    installing a udate right ? there has to be a way to implement these
    settings into the updated version ...

like install new firmware->yes/no, keep settings->yes/no that way
    people don't have to setup things again and a complete newinstall would
    be possible too

But i'm extremely thankful about all these great updates, i hope i can use them soon

• Hi Bommel,

i can image that it is frustrating when you lose your sounds due to an update-bug.

But, honestly, i do not fully understand why you keep raising this as a feature request.
    I never noticed any sound-changes after updating. And i never had any volumes or routings reset.

And, as stated multiple times, kemper is deliberately aiming to not change any sounds, etc. through updates.
    IIRC there was an issue with volume-resets in one beta, but it got fixed quite quickly.

The naming of the delay (legacy delay) changed at one point to prepare for the upcoming delays. But this did not change any of my delay-sounds, either. Only when programming a new delay you would notice that there was only one delay type left, but you could do everything that you could do before. And i do not see a problem there. To improve the unit, some things have to change from time to time, and i think everyone would agree that the new types of delays are much better than the old ones. You do not lose anything through this change.

I hope i did not misunderstood your problem/request.

If i did understood it, you are mostly asking for something that already exists. And this (in my opinion) might confuse some new users. After reading this post they might think that it is normal that you lose your sounds when updating.
    Losing your sounds after updating will most likely be a bug in the new OS and is not a decision by Kemper.

Regards,
    LH

• but this is not a bug. C.Kemper answered in another threat of mine that the rectishaper got a regular update and that keeps me from nstalling any update newer then 4.2 and my request is:
    leaving the old versions of the effects on the kemper ... i'm not asking for something that does already exist otherwise i would not have that problem ... in most updates it is ture updates was safe and no problem but since the recent updates brougt me that problem it is
    normal in my eyes to ask for safer updates...

i'm stuck now with firmware 3.3. because some of my most important sounds rely on the old rectishaper

and yes i'm ultra happy about the 5.0 delays infact i waited for that addition since i changed from fractal to kemper a few years ago

and that makes it even more frustrating when i can't do an update because a keyfeature that i need is gone ...

i added a zip with a sound file. this is how my main sound of my band sounds now with the new rectishaper, it is completely unusable

and that is why i bring that topic up...

• i think it is a important topic and up until now every update worked fine ... i mean the default setting and delay stuff is okay, before i used teh analog delay and afterwards i got the same sound so while distracting these changes where okay ... but the rectishaper change is drastic and destroys every fuzzy preset i made, just listen to the sample that sound is completely unusable, and since it is not a bug but a regular update my request is ... leaving in moments like this the old version on the kemper and just add the new version as rectishaper 2/new ...

the new recti shaper sounds cool, that is not to problem but it behaves so much differently that it changes every profile that have the rectishaper in it

• Who can tell what the difference in the recti shapers is?

• but this is not a bug. C.Kemper answered in another threat of mine that the rectishaper got a regular update and that keeps me from nstalling any update newer then 4.2

That's weird. I can't find anything in the release notes or Manual Addendum about a change to the Recti Shaper.

Hopefully you can get the old one back. Good luck.

• here are both samples ... the change is not esotheric but from heavy fuzz to completely unusable

• I just hope that i will be able to update and that in the future updates aren't as (i really don't know a better work sorry) destructive like 4.2/5.0

I quote Mr. Kemper "...
    In this case the sound can sound differently in firmwares 4.2 and later.
    This is based on a fix requested by users."

• I just hope that i will be able to update and that in the future updates aren't as (i really don't know a better work sorry) destructive like 4.2/5.0

I quote Mr. Kemper "...

Yes, I wonder what was fixed and if it is documented somewhere.

I quote Mr. Kemper "...

yeah, but wasn't that if the recti shaper was placed after the stack?

Edit: link to ckemper's original post: Rectishaper changed in version 4.2. / 5.0 (kind of solved)

• true but you can hear clearly that it differs teh sound heavily even before the amp, i uploaded two soundfiles of the same riff with the same profile ... and since everything sounds the same when i turn in both versions the rectishaper off, it is totally clear for me that it must be the rectishaper

• true but you can hear clearly that it differs teh sound heavily even before the amp, i uploaded two soundfiles of the same riff with the same profile ... and since everything sounds the same when i turn in both versions the rectishaper off, it is totally clear for me that it must be the rectishaper

Sure - but that just means that ckemper's comment is not relevant to your problems

• why should the rectishaper be the same in front of the amp but a different one after the amp ? that makes no sense ... since he said there was a fix and it cleary sounds now completely different what else do you want to hear ?

• Since I don't know what the original problem with the recti shaper was regarding placing it post- vs. pre-stack, I really have no way of answering the first part of your question.

As for the second part of your question, maybe the fix had an unrelated side effect - a bug - which affects your profiles.

I am merely pointing out the fact that I think you misunderstood ckemper's post, since an important part of it was regarding its placement POST stack. Therefore, it is not the intention of this fix that the sound should be different from previous versions, as long as the effect is placed pre-stack.

I can't remember - did you contact support directly already? Otherwise, I strongly encourage you to do so - the link is in my signature.

• Maybe the fix ckemper talked about had nothing to do with the rectishaper, but with the effect modules after the amp section. This fix might have an influence on the behavior of certain effects that are programmed in these slots, but did not change anything for the rectishaper effect itself.
    And probably (as he called it a "fix") the sound was now changed to a normal behavior and was broken before the update. Hence the "fix". But of course, i do not know about the actual fix he was talking about.

So, since the guys at kemper stated, that they do not want to change any sounds, a feature request for this is redundand IMO. Why would we need to request something that the Kemper-Team is already aiming for?

I do not question that you have a problem with the sound of your rectishaper. I simply want to say, that it is most likely a bug that can be fixed. Therefore, a feature request is misleading other users.

And regarding your suggestion of leaving the option to stay on "old versions" of effects: This would mean, that every update contains every OS that we had before? i think that would be quite a mess. Every time we get an update, every effect module will get at least one more copy.
    And, again, since the sound of updated effect modules will not change (as long as there is not bug) there is no need for it.

So normally, when you create a back-up before loading a new OS, you won't have a problem to go back to the "working" state when you encounter a bug in the new OS.

• I wrote the support last saturday and got immediatly one aswer and the answer to my reply came today.
    It gets pretty frustrating by now, that no one answered my main questions "can i install even older firmwares" (because i haven't found the legacy operation systems, and now i'm stuck with 3.3.) or "is a complete reinstalling of the kemper possible" to a factory setting, like i said i have not found the older version on saturday

way too much time gets wasted by talking about to if the threat belongs to "feature requests" or "trouble shooting", speculations and how the title should be. And that is very stressful when you have a serious problem, bug or not, i was not able to use my main sounds.
    It's 4 Days now, if would there be gigs where i really need the kemper i'd be fucked, and i was honestly thinking about selling the kemper because i did not feel that there was a immediate help available where i can rely on when i'm giging and have a problem... thankfully i found the older versions myself and just tried if it works to just install them.

you say it is a bug, ckemper said it is a fix... or it's a bug of the fix ? Let's say it is a bug in the fix, it still made it to the public 4.2 ... and that is sad and i hope the future updates are safer and that future firmware add stuff instead of exchange stuff ...

BUT let us get back on topic

This is a feature request on purpose where i ask about a installing method

that do not cause the change of default settings like the setting of my ol footswitch were gone the input sense

install new firmware->yes/no, keep settings->yes/no that way

people don't have to setup things again and a complete newinstall would

be possible too

and if updates like the legacy delays exchange the older ones i'd find it better, if possible,

to leave the older versions on the kemper instead of replacing them

• And regarding your suggestion of leaving the option to stay on "old versions" of effects: This would mean, that every update contains every OS that we had before? i think that would be quite a mess.

that is not what i mean, as long as something gets added to effects that leaves the sounds untouched it is cool,
    like the addition of high and lowcut of the studio eq or the tone poti within some drive pedals this was perfect ...

and i know that kemper aims for constancy ,and i think this is great but still it has not worked in 4.2 with that "bug" or "fix"

if it was before or now broken is a matter of perspective i rely on the old version, it is not included in newer versions, i'm fucked now and my request is therefore not redundant

i added the two sounds again, just as a example to see that this is not a esotheric difference in sound but rendered my sounds unusable

• As i said, normally there is no reset to default settings...So no need for a feature request as this will not be intended by kemper.
    The plan is already to leave the settings as they are. If it is not like this, it is because there is a bug.
    And a feature request for "i do not want to have bugs in new OS versions" seems a bit off.

I totally share your opinion that when i load a new OS, it should keep my settings on footswitches, volume, etc.
    But i know that the kemper team tries to ensure this behavior. We can't blame them if there is a bug that destroys this aim.

and i was honestly thinking about selling the kemper because i did not feel that there was a immediate help available

I really do not want to be rude, but if you would have made a backup before update, like it is recommended everytime, you would not have got into any trouble and gigs would have been no problem.

Sure, it would be good if the support would now try to give you a solution as soon as possible. You can expect that from them somehow.
    But i think it is unfair to question their competence because you forgot to make a backup.

Please correct me if i misunderstood you here in some way. I do not want this to heat up. Just want to 'defend' my point here (and the kemper support in this case)