TS210 v DXR 10

• Hi All,

I'm another new Kemper owner. I'm loving some of the tones this thing is able to deliver, and i am yet to start delving into M-Britt profile packs.

I have not purchased a frfr speaker. I am in two minds whether I should buy either alto TS210 or DXR10. I will be playing bass through it, but there will be a subwoofer in the FOH system. I have read a few threads about the positives of both respective speakers. Is there much of a tonal improvement with the DXR10 to warrant double the cost?

Cheers

• I'm in the same situation (bass with unpowered Kemper) but I haven't found any answer yet.
    I found a couple other speakers (Mackie DLM12 and Denon Axis 12) which seem to be suitable, if not better due to their frequency range, but a bit more pricey, plus the Denon one is discontinued now and I can't seem to find one at a good price.
    I you are playing only bass (I am a bass and guitar player) you may consider a power amp + bass cabinet solution, too.

• I've been trying the alto 210 in a store (on guitar + KPA ) and didn't buy them , they lack a bit of definition to me and the trebles are not as good as I expected. I'm really used to yamaha speakers and really dig them, so I'll go DXR sooner or later.

• I find the Alto TS210 adequate for gigging in a bar band environment but I don't play bass. For budget reasons, the tradeoff between price point and any possible differences that may exist tonally between it and some of the higher priced options is worth it.

• Hey there,

I own both the Alto TS210 and the Freidman ASM 12. My son has played his bass through the TS210 and it sounds tight and is plenty loud. however, if I were buying for bass I would go with the 12 or better the 15. The low end range will be better suited I imagine. Hope that helps.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Thomas

• thanks for the feedback guys. I probably was not clear enough about my intended use. I will be primarily playing guitar at home, but also using the speakers for gigging on bass. I am leaning towards 10 inch bins due to the convenience (i have many horrid memories of lugging my 4x10 cab around) and because I don't want boomy guitar tone when playing at home.

Thomasjg - how do the ts210's compare to the Friedman ASM 12 tonally?

• for guitar @ home the 210 are way too big & loud and as I said not enough precise, except if you want use them for garden parties as well,

you'd much better go for a pair of yamaha HS7 or 8 or similar monitor system as they are very linear and loud enough ( I never run mines more than 12 o'clock for profiling, mixing, monitoring , noodling, playing ...)

• Depends on the size of your room. I had a very large music room and used powered 112 PA speakers and they were fine. I've moved into a smaller room and run into (2) 8" Monitors Yamaha HS8's. Every once in a while I try the 112's again, but the monitor clarity in the smaller room wins. When I go outside the 112's are clear winners. With a 10" you will likely be fine, but it depends on the size of the room. If you have them local buy them and try them out in your room.....send back what you don't like. Even the online stores will accept returns.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I've used both the DXR10 and DXR15. The 10 couldn't even handle my guitar at louder volumes without the speaker farting out. I went to the 15 and can CRANK it and not even come close to the speaker having issues. Sounds better IMO too. Also pushes more air so it's a little closer to a traditional cab feel than the 10". I really don't think you'd be happy with the 10" at all if you'll be using bass through it unless you're going to play at nothing more than bedroom levels.