Update 19.07.2012: TillS Cabinets - 1960 V30/T75 / Mesa Recto 4 x 12 / mixed / G12H30 cabs

• newb question here..... What happens when I try and import these updated versions into the Kemper wi†h the old versions? Will it ask to replace or just add them?

Add them because they'll have a different date, lot's of duplicates.....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Ok, in a former thread i already provided how the cab profiles were created, but lets keep it in one place... (sorry, non KPA owners) :P

All profiles were done with my JVM410H, and all with the same settings. OD2 channel, orange mode, gain at 9:00, Bass, Mids and Treble at noon. Presence and Resonance at 1:00 to 2:00.

The more popular profiles were all more or less an AKG C3000 with a SM57 slightly blended in. My SM57s are all SM58, with the cap off. But its the same mic capsule, so there should not be any difference. On the distant miking profiles i also used a MCE 87N directional mic. More an experimental choice there ...

All mics go into a Mackie 1202 submixer. The main out of the Mackie is connected to the KPA return over TRS.

The mic placement of the "popular cabs" is nothing too special. Slightly off the center, the SM57 a little more off. I took some photos of a setting:

[Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5902643/SAM_1432.JPG
    [Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5902643/SAM_1433.JPG
    [Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5902643/SAM_1434.JPG]

[Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5902643/SAM_1435.JPG]

Most people get decent results with a SM57 alone, but i was not very happy with it. Most of the time its the C3000 at perhaps 70%-80% with the SM57 just providing some midrange crunch. On the different files i used to play with the eq on the mixer, mostly rolling of the highs a little bit.

A word about phasing: Though nobody really likes a complete out-of-phase sound, you might play with the distances a little bit. Sometimes it can make the tones a little bit more interesting with some comb filter effects. If you lose some frequencies as a results, try to compensate with the mixer eq and to dont be afraid to beef up the low end.

As you see, there is no real magic behind this. Perhaps my room with a angled wooden walls sound a little warmer than the average rehearsal cellar with concrete walls but it dont think this will change your sounds dramatically. When adjusting the mics i playback a dry guitar track into the kpa and use some closed headphones to make the adjustments. Very comfortable that way if you do not have to play your guitar while moving mics. Also i might add that i do not profile at high volumes, as i am no fan of poweramp distortion. Way too loud for an appartment but not even close to rehearsal level (in a metal band :) ) ....

Feel free to ask further questions.

• Thanks for your tips !! ;)

I've got some noob questions, sorry for that !
    When you say:

All mics go into a Mackie 1202 submixer. The main out of the Mackie is connected to the KPA return over TRS.

What means "over TRS" ?
    So you connect main out left or right to the KPA return in jack so what about Pan in the Mackie ? must be or completely left or right if you use out left or right ?

• What means "over TRS" ?
    So you connect main out left or right to the KPA return in jack so what about Pan in the Mackie ? must be or completely left or right if you use out left or right ?

Yeah, i only connect the left output from the mackie to the return of the KPA. All channels on the Mackie are panned to the left too. I recommend use the TRS jack on the KPA return because that way you bypass the mic amplifier gain stage. I visually check the ouput meter of the Mackie to have constant output levels, so i dont have to readjust the KPA return level, which i leave at -18db

• Thanks for information, for TRS you mean the Kemper jack input (return input) or i need to buy a TRS jack ?

• These cabinets are super cool! They have saved a lot of subpar profiles! Whenever a profile sounds digital or stale I just change the cabinet to a till and It's all good to go. Thank you for the work!

• Thanx for the many nice words from all you guys so far. The reactions have been so overwhelming that some of you even wanted to donate something. This usually is not my kind of thing, but i came to following conclusion: As many of you (and also me) were interested in a 4 x 12 Greenback cab, i will try to rent one from the backline rental where i also got the mesa. They have no equipment list on their website, so i am not sure if there is any greenback cab to rent. If they do have one i will plan a profiling session and you guys might contribute to my paypal account then if you like.

The bad news is that i somehow managed to make such a bad movement yesterday that i catched a horrible backache and have to use crutches today :( I hope this will get better soon but i dont see me transporting 4 x 12s within the next weeks. I will keep you updated on this.

• The bad news is that i somehow managed to make such a bad movement yesterday that i catched a horrible backache and have to use crutches today :( I hope this will get better soon but i dont see me transporting 4 x 12s within the next weeks. I will keep you updated on this.

Gettin' old, Tyerhb? :P

Just kidding, sorry about that.

• bad movement? As in bowel? wow that must have been something fierce to throw your back out like that!

:P

Seriously though, thanks for your cabs. They are great. And get some rest for your back!

Edited once, last by Animus ().

• As many of you (and also me) were interested in a 4 x 12 Greenback cab, i will try to rent one from the backline rental where i also got the mesa. They have no equipment list on their website, so i am not sure if there is any greenback cab to rent. If they do have one i will plan a profiling session and you guys might contribute to my paypal account then if you like.

Hell YEAH!!!!
    Count me in for a contribution for a 4 x 12 Greenback cab. Let me/us know if they have it.

Sorry to hear about your back Till. Get well soon!