Atomic CLR active vs Friedman ASM12

• Has any of you compared the CLR vs the ASM12?
    Is there much difference between both?
    Why did you chose the one over the other?
    Would love to hear some experiences with both units since i sadly can't test any of them.

Thanks!

• Hello Sloegin,

A bit off-topic, but if you wish to consider another alternative, you may wish to check out the XiTone 1x12 wedge, which is available either active or passive. I own the passive version (with a KPA Power Rack), and it completely sold me on FRFR, after struggling to bond with various active FRFR 2-component type monitors, such as Yamaha, QSC, and JBL.

For me, the deciding factor for the XiTone is the utilization of an Eminence coaxial 2-way speaker system. The coaxial speaker setup provides a point-source emission of the sound, which IMHO sounds more natural and behaves more like a traditional "guitar-cabinet"...especially as you move and adjust your position relative to the speaker.

I may be overly sensitive to it...but with the traditional FRFR with separately mounted (off-axis) components, I could hear the separation of the tweeter and the woofer, and the "beaming" effect. These systems always end up sounding to "Hi-Fi" for my tastes. This is eliminated with the coaxial configuration. Perhaps it also has something to do with the selection of the Eminence-based speakers, but in my experience the XiTone made the transition to an FRFR-type monitor a relatively seamless and painless experience.

While I have not personally tried the Atomic CLR, it is my understanding it also is based upon a coaxial-type configuration of the main woofer and HF driver. The CLR is also highly regarded here on the KPA forum. The Friedman ASM12 utilizes a separate mounted woofer and tweeter arrangement.

Cheers,
    John

• I love my Friedman ASM-12. I've had it for about three months. When I did my research, seemed like the best choice.

I was not happy with it with the Fractal AX-8, but with the Kemper, freaking awesome. I do wish it was louder though.

• Hi SloeGin,

I just did a comparison between Atomic CLR (non-wedge, non-neo . which I own) and the Friedman ASM 12 (my friend's one) last weekend together with a friend. We also added some regular guitar cabinets to the test.
    Tried various profiles (clean, crunch and dist.), plus some acoustic sounds.

In brief, the Atomic is more neutral to the profiles. Where the Friedman does have more of a "darker" base sound. Considered to be a designed by purpose feature. But this could easily be adjusted using EQ settings according to your needs.

Having this said. Both are fantastic boxes, you can't go wrong with either. It is more a matter of personal taste. Maybe some other factors to be considered: size of company, quality of support, availability, price etc.