ooomph/boominess

• Hey guys ,

question : a lot of high gain sounds too much ooomph when palm-muting , it sounds ok at home , but through a guitar cab for instance it's a bit too much and you get into bass-territory

How can you solve this without compromising gain ?

Is a low cut the only option ? or is there a secret sauce in the amp parameters ?

What frequencies do you guys normaly cut ? low and high ? can this be a global thing or should it be a EQ block ?

thanks

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• It's not the sound is too bass heavy , the resonance (or how the hell should i call it) when palm muting makes it oomphy

R

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• This is mostly because of frequencies below 100 Hz. An easy way to fine tune your low end response is to use the Studio Equalizer. You can either use it in a stomp or the x slot. Before the amp section it will have an effect on the gain the tighness. After the amp section it will just work as an EQ.

Set the low gain to -12 db and the Low Freq to minium 20 Hz. This will not have an effect on the tone yet. Now slowly increase the low frequency while playing palm mutes until you start to hear an effect. This is point where so start epxerimenting with the paramters until you are satisfied.

• Maybe we need a frequency conscious compressor to catch those occasional lows. You can easily do this in a studio situation with MCDSP MC2000 or Waves C4.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Try these settings with a Studio Eq in the X Slot. Helped me tone.

Studio Equalizer

Low Shelf at 85.00
    High Shelf at 6000.00
    Low Mid at 240/2.1/0.67
    High Mid at 2500/2.5/0.67
    Volume at 0.00
    Mix at 93%

It also helps to scoop the mids with a Graphic Eq in the stomp section or scooping the mids in the amp Eq.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• Woofy palm mutes are almost always between 100 and 200Hz; guitars tend to put out a lot more of the second harmonic than the fundamental. Try a Studio EQ in front of the amp, take one of the parametric bands and set it to:

Gain: -6
    Frequency: 150Hz
    Q: 2

I can pretty much guarantee you'll send better. If necessary, you can bump up the amp's Bass knob to keep the sound from getting too thin.

• When using a guitar cabinet I'm presuming that you're disabling the Kemper cab and if you don't you will get all the boominess. If you already set this correctly for guitar into real cabinet and all the profiles sound boomy, you can use the global eq from the output setting to correct to adjust for the cabinet and the room, Usually a High Pass (to filter out the deep bass frequencies should work), trying anything between 40kz and 100 hz.

• If the cab-setting is OK, then I would use two parameters of the amp section:

* increase definition
    * reduce power sag

Resonance could be a topic of the cab used and its placement in the room. If so move it out of corners and see if that helps. If the cab is tuned with a port for bass reflex, try filling it with foam or fabrique and see if it gets better.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• and look at it in a frequency analyzer like Voxengo SPAN

If no analyzer is around, then do the "brain ear analyzer" trick:

Our hearing does react way more to EQ boost(in opposite to EQ cut). So first try to make it worse! Use a parametric EQ, set the frequency to your first guess. Narrow down with Q and a gain like +10 dB. Then sweep the frequency up and down until its the worst. Now you can reduce the gain to cut that particular frequency and adjust Q so that it sounds most natural or to your taste.

In opposite: if you want to EQ more natural or delicate sounds, always try to cut, not to boost. The result will be less artificial.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• thx for all the replies guys ... will try all the tips !

Raf

• simple fix.. 120mhz.. put a slight cut around -6db there if it bothers you ;)

A hundred and twenty "megahertz" ? Man that guys got good hearing! :D

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user