Fine tuning my tone- Help needed

• Ok I went back to see if I could do better with a Topjimi profile and this is how I did. Any recommendations on how to tweak it better to sound like his clip?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

***Latest attempt***

Installed new Callaham ABR-1 Bridge http://www.callahamguitars.com…n_bridge_ABR1_catalog.htm
    Wow what a HUGE difference that bridge makes at cleaning up the tone!

EQ in the stack; Bass: +0.1, Middle: 0, Treble: +0.4, Presence: +0.4
    Definition: 10.0
    Power sagging 2.3
    Pick +0.0

Sorry for the soft clipping in the recording

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit- I know some people will not understand the joke in the beginning. The clip of me playing is in the 2nd half

Original

Issues

1. Figuring out what is too hot in the chain (Lowering pickup helped)
    2. Adjusting EQ
    3. Adjusting Reverb

1. Clipping / over compressed issue? (Closed, not an issue)
    SPDIF -10db, Guitar volume at 9, 8, 7 (sorry soundcloud comments not working, breakdown in the song title)

2. EQ
    Original
    EQ in the stack; Bass: 0, Middle: 0, Treble: +0.3, Presence: +0.3
    Power sagging 0.0
    Pick +0.7

• Adjusted neck on les paul to be flat as possible. Made a HUGE difference.
    • Adjusted pickup height again.
    • Worked on slant picking with slight palm muting. (My slant picking is still very sloppy)
    • Guitar volume is 9.5

EQ in the stack; Bass: 0, Middle: 0, Treble: +0.6, Presence: +0.4
    Definition: 8.6
    Power sagging 0.0
    Pick -1.7
    Clarity 1.0
    Volume 2.3

Changed
    Definition: 7.1
    Power sagging 0.0
    Pick 0.0

Added: Studio Equalizer- Only one setting used
    Mid1 Gain 3.5 Mid1 Freq 700Hz Mid1 Q-Factor

Legacy Delay in Stomps
    Mix 11.3% Delay 1 Time 40 ms Delay 2 Ratio 95.0% Feedback 0%
    Legacy Delay in SLOT X
    Mix 49.9% Delay 1 Time 52 ms Delay 2 Ratio 95.0% Feedback 0%

Original first - New EQ and Delay

EQ DONE! I am happy with this result. Final settings (Removed the delay, just to clearly hear the EQ. Also lowered the pickup on my guitar slightly)

Definition: 7.1
    Power sagging 0.0
    Pick 0.0
    STOMPS (There are 2) Any omitted settings were not changed

Studio Equalizer:
    Low Gain:2.7 db Low Freq 90.2 Hz
    High Gain 2.9 High Freq 189.0 Hz
    Mid1 Gain 3.5 db Mid1 Freq 700.1Hz
    Mid1 Q-Factor 0.480
    Mid2 Gain 0.6 db Mid2 Freq 279.0Hz
    Mid2 Q-Factor 0.387

Studio Equalizer:
    Low Gain:2.7 db Low Freq 385.1 Hz
    High Gain 0.9 High Freq 16391.6 Hz
    Mid1 Gain 0.5 db Mid1 Freq 1682.0 Hz
    Mid1 Q-Factor 2.296
    Mid2 Gain 3.4 db Mid2 Freq 4059.3 Hz
    Mid2 Q-Factor 2.046

Original first - New Stomp EQs

Back to basics! @ashtweth reminds me to stop over complicating it!

Lowpass Brickwall at 15586 (Sorry did this in my DAW. Can the Kemper do this??)
    Lowered the bridge pickup more to cut back all the gain.
    Tone is at 7
    Listening to TJ picking style. Noticed how it changes the tone because he slants the pick. I gave it a try. Be warned its very sloppy as I have never tried picking like this before!

Power sagging 0.3
    Pick +0.1
    Clarity 2.7

Legacy Delay in SLOT X
    Mix 54.6% Delay 1 Time 64 ms Delay 2 Ratio 95.0% Feedback 0%

Reverb- Hall
    Mix 56.8% Del+Rev Balance + 38% Time 4.4 Damping 2.8

• Big improvement @ColdFrixion ! Was this done in your daw? If yes, what plugins? Can I clean it up like you did in the Kemper?

I used 3 different plugins: SideWidener, Waves H-EQ, and Valhalla VintageVerb. I think you can approximate the effect in the Kemper.

For EQ, I boosted 700Hz by 3.5dB using a slightly wider than normal Q. The reverb was set to concert hall with a 4s delay and 17% mix. Then there's the stereo widener, which I used the default setting in the aforementioned plugin.

In the Kemper you can approximate this by adding and playing with the Stereo Equalizer, Stereo Widener, and Hall reverb. I haven't tried any of the settings below, but I'm suggesting them as a starting point to (hopefully) get you in the ballpark, though you'll likely have to play with them a bit(or a lot):

Stereo Equalizer with Mid1 Gain set to 3.5dB, Mid Freq at 700Hz, and the Mid1 Q-Factor at .480

Hall verb with the Mix at 16.8%, Predelay at 32ms, and Time at 4s.

Stereo Widener at default to start.

• The EQ route is good but there's also a simpler solution in the Kemper that I find very effective. It's another form of EQ. In the CABINET parameters High Shift and Low Shift are very effective I would shift both to the left till they sound right and I think you will nail it. The Character if you move it to the left it's more focused and tight and to the right it's a more open sound.

• I think he bought the same pickups as Jimi. But the differences in the clips do sound subtle (but noticeable). Perhaps they are within the expected variation between two identical model guitars with different strings, wood densities, pickup heights, picking location/strength, etc.

I'm happy to see schreck has gotten pretty close though :thumbup: .

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I think he bought the same pickups as Jimi. But the differences in the clips do sound subtle (but noticeable). Perhaps they are within the expected variation between two identical model guitars with different strings, wood densities, pickup heights, picking location/strength, etc.

In my opinion, there's something more going on than just pickup differences. For instance, in TJ's sample the stereo width is definitely different and there seems to be more room ambience.

• In my opinion, there's something more going on than just pickup differences. For instance, in TJ's sample the stereo width is definitely different and there seems to be more room ambience.

Yeah, I guess I can hear that. :thumbup: I think my brain has a built-in reverb-subtraction algorithm where I selectively listen for the dry guitar tone.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Hey guys,

Awesome comments so far! I want to address each issue separately and not do all at once. Better to keep track of. Updates always at the top of the thread.

Also, I had a moment of self reflection based on a different users negative thread. Many might see that multi page thread as a waste of time but I actually learned from it. The people commenting did know more than the OP and were just trying to help. Sometimes its hard to take criticism when you are set in your ways. I saw myself in the OP and I did not like that at all. Ok, so how the hell did I get closer to topjimi's tone???

@ashtweth was right! and I am so sorry for not listening and being a complete asshole! It was my master chain that was squashing the shit out of the guitar and losing all the highs and crunch. The examples I am doing now have 0 mastering. I need to learn how to master rock guitar in a mix.

@ schreckmusic Well i guess going to audio engineering school meant nothing LOL
    Ant they used the kemper, you have the same thing, they use the same profiles
    THEY RECORDED IT DIFFERENT TO YOU. (maybe added some things like EQ and DAW blah)

I would really like to know WTF you are doing with your kemper and recording

@schreckmusic
    Top Jimi most likely used a moderate output PAF. Which pickup model/make did you use?

https://postimg.org/image/48xey52yr/

• "Fine tuning my tone- Help needed"

What? Why? Its sounds awsome! :D

On the other hand... if I think about the first part of track one.... maybe you should send your Kemper to service!? :evil:

Ne travaillez jamais.

• "Fine tuning my tone- Help needed"

What? Why? Its sounds awsome! :D

On the other hand... if I think about the first part of track one.... maybe you should send your Kemper to service!? :evil:

I have to say I am super impressed how good it sounds man! It needs a little work and it will be perfect.

Edit- That riff is super hard for me to play cleanly! I kind of rush through it just to get it over with.

• I have to say I am super impressed how good it sounds man! It needs a little work and it will be perfect.
    Edit- That riff is super hard for me to play cleanly! I kind of rush through it just to get it over with.

It sounds great just like someone plugged into a Marshall and went to town. I just read this really good article about how being a perfectionist isn't the best for musicians and how to deal with setting a limit to seeking perfection
    http://blog.sonicbids.com/why-…oxic-to-your-music-career

• I just read this really good article about how being a perfectionist isn't the best for musicians and how to deal with setting a limit to seeking perfection

There's some punk recordings where the vocalist dropped a "over-produced by Mr. XXX" into the final mix :D

Ne travaillez jamais.

• You guys are hilarious.
    Nice forum this truly is.

Have your fun.
    You know nothing of my skills and never will.
    If you think me hitting a couple notes, in no particular fashion as what I saw as a reasonable way to allow people to hear my issue, right or wrong, is a glimpse of my chops, you are a fool.

I will admit I am not the greatest but I think you might be maybe a bit surprised. Especially what I hear compared to your playing. :D

But I also have no need or desire, as you do, to get random people on the internet to give me praise for shitty playing like you just posted. Yes, look in the mirror before running your mouth. Fool.

• I earlier on was trying to send you a private message to tell you not to let your anger have the best of you but it was too late because you continued to post insulting stuff to those who were trying to resolve the problem. I truly understand your frustration and I was hoping that you kept it civil so that we all can get to the bottom of that problem. It's unfortunate that you had that thread closed.

Regarding Jokes let's be realistic, I know that there are many great guitar players on this forum and if I post anything is because I'm hoping to get an honest opinion to understand the KPA better and not for anyone to stroke any ego that I don't have/ IF someone is truthful, I learned through the years to appreciate that , because it sends me back to the drawing table. IF you have followed the forum, Shrekmusic told me that the clips I posted of the TJ profiles sounded terrible and not to take it the wrong way. I understood that and he was right, they didn't sound like Top Jimi clips, but now I know how to get that sound.

I didn't like it when someone called you a fool and I made it clear in a post , but I also didn't like it when you insulted everyone and you're still doing it. I just wish you would take a breather and try to take it with a sense of humor. I know you have one, I'm sure you're a nice guy and there must have been some communication breakdown somewhere, but insulting others and letting anger run everything that you type, isn't accomplishing anything. As someone else said, when people type there's no facial expressions and things might seem a lot dryer and cold than they really are.

It's never too late to acknowledge when we make errors and we all make mistakes and many of us say things that aren't intended as people would perceive them. I always think that the bigger person always apologizes. If I were you, I would start a thread apologizing because you know you insulted many people on this forum. If I were you I'd wait a day before I even post anything and rethink what happened. Please reconsider and be pragmatic. We all knew that wasn't you're playing and it was just to get an issue resolved, so screw it , I laugh even if the joke is on me. You're really blowing things out of proportion, please reconsider, it's not worth getting all worked up. Even if people screwed up, you need to give them a chance to fix things.

You catch more bees with honey!

Have a great night

Edited 2 times, last by Dean_R ().

• Wow...just, wow.

• I didn't start insulting anyone. I was appreciative of the help and I said so many times. It just got overwhelming with everybody getting on me about posting a clip of the KPA when it sounded good.
    But even after I told everybody they need to wait until it got good again and when I wasn't working, which I do for a living, they started on me saying I wasn't willing.

Then the icing on the cake was some of you guys' god got on here and started insulting me, it was a pile on free for all then. How professional is it when the owner of a company gets on their forum to publicly insult one of their customers?
    I am talking about him calling me the incorrect name which he knew damn well it wasn't mine. he knows exactly what I am talking about.

Just look what Viabcroce said on a thread a while back. Before he gave his "good bye cruel world" attention seeking forum exit thread. You will see just what I am talking about.

That Mental ###### called me a fool....no problem there right?

Whatever, I talk with a few personally off of the forums and they are a bit miffed by all of this BS too.

Apologize? Please. I would be expecting that to me. Either way it does not matter because everybody is just an avatar to me. If we can be friend-ly, fine. If I want a friend, it wont be online. I have absolutely no love lost for certain people on here.

Now you can get back to this amazing guitar lesson.