What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• l thought I'd arrived with the v pick screamer back along. Initially they were great, but for the price wore down at an alarming rate, losing their edge and benefit. The rate they needed replacing made the cost of them ludicrous.
    I've since moved on to dava rock control and am very happy with them. Any technical aspect of playing doesn't feel at all hindered by this pick, my ability sure but not the pick, as previous picks have done. And it is that hindered feeling that makes me seek out a better ( for me) pick. An added bonus for me is a dava outlasts a v pick- a pack of 6 dava's cost approximately 1 v pick. It's not always about throwing the most amount of money at a problem to solve it.

• Thanks to this thread, I've spent a small fortune on a new pick quest .. Lots of interesting stuff but most of the things I tried just were not quite there for an all around option for me. I like to test by playing lead lines, tremolo picking, and strumming. I come from using orange med tortex and still really like these but i think there is definitely better out there. Tried some of my vpicks again.. To me great for lead lines and trem picking but no strumming. Prime tones feel very nice but couldn't get a feel and tone I like together. Maybe I'll experiment more here. Yet to try Out red bear, and Dava control. So far the best tortex replacement contender is a blue chip td 40. Sending back a td 35 that I actually found to flexible and trying a td 60. I have been surprised at how I can prefer thicker and harder depending on the material sometimes and how much different a small change in thickness can change the tone drastically for better or worse in some materials.. So far I like the blue chip of course at 35$.. But at least they are readily available unlike red bear

• An inspiring thread, indeed. I just came up with testing new picks, because the quality of my long time favourites (Dunlop Delrin) went down extremely. The last package I bought was just wasted money.

I don't know Dava, Red Bear and Blue Chip, but for more than 30 $ for 1 pick. it is hard to test several ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited 2 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• 75 for a pick?? =O I'd suffer some serious stress and anxiety carrying that about.lol. I used jazz 3's for years and recently switched to the newer nylon 3mm big stubby. I liked the original stubby but the material wore down to quickly and it was hard to hold onto when you sweat like madman.

• So I gave the Dunlop Max Grip Carbon fibers another chance and i kind of love them right now. Tone is smooth, very comfortable, and stiff but not thick. It is a small pick though so i dont think it is for everyone. I do have a V pick on the way though and i am excited to try it. I order the Euro II. Will keep you posted.

• So I gave the Dunlop Max Grip Carbon fibers another chance and i kind of love them right now. Tone is smooth, very comfortable, and stiff but not thick. It is a small pick though so i dont think it is for everyone. I do have a V pick on the way though and i am excited to try it. I order the Euro II. Will keep you posted.

As a long time Jazz III Carbon player I am now so used to the small size that everything else feels weird and "blockish". I also feel kind of disconnected with larger picks now. Tried the graphtech TUSQ for fun - Randy Bachman seems to be able to get THE TONE with this huge flabby thing - I am not :)

• I'm gonna try a live tortoise. Muddy 8)

I recommend the ones from the Galapagos. A couple of times a year, I pose as an evolutionary biologist, and join a research trip to the islands. When the expedition team leader isn't paying attention, I will sneak off and bag myself a couple of the older ones. It's kind of a pain in the ass, because the buggers are a lot quicker then they look. Smuggling the shells back through Ecuadoran customs can be a bit of a hassle, as well.

I also like the rich harmonic tones that I can get from a nice ivory pick fashioned from the tusk of an albino arctic narwhal. They may be a bit difficult to find, but I know a few Intuit fishermen that will take me out in their kayak, and "look the other way" if I slip them a few bottles of Johnny Walker. Also, harpooning can be a very "zen-like" experience. Stalking these critters can get a bit boring, so make sure you bring an iPod loaded with your favorite tunes. I like to listen to some Wagner, when the hunt is on. Speaking of ivory guitar picks...I also recommend the Sumatran black rhinoceros. Picks fashioned from their horn's have a darker, broody sort of timbre, which goes well with doom or industrial metal, if you are into that sort of thing.

:P

• I am with you... but with the Sumatran black rhinoceros for the dark doom sound you may have confused something?! Didn't you mean the good ol' "Saruman Black Occult" picks???

• So my 3 V-picks arrived today from Thomann. Check out their packaging!!!

[Blocked Image: http://i64.tinypic.com/zukvt3.jpg]
    First impressions after playing Dava Control Grip Tips for the last 2-3 years are that they're BIG! They're also much thicker and stiffer, even when holding the Davas right at the very tip for more control. I can totally get the improved tone thing, as the Dava gels I favour have a very plasticky attack that is very obvious when coming from the V-picks. To me though, the V-picks seem way more cumbersome and the improvement in tone isn't worth the loss of control for me. It also made me realise that when I'm alternate or economy picking, I'm not actually holding the Davas right at the end, so there's more "give" in them. Contrary to what I believed, this doesn't lead to less control for me but more fluidity. Who would have thought that I'd actually prefer thinner picks after all?!?
    Such a great experiment, even if it was a fairly expensive one!