What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• Interesting thread :!:

For electric guitars: recently I switched from Dunlop Delrin 1.14 to Dunlop Delrin 1.5 / I'm also using my fingers a lot and sometimes my E-Bow ;)

For acoustic guitars: Dunlop Delrin .71 / .96 / 1.14

I also tried Chicken Picks, comfortable to play, but soundwise strange for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I'm using Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL picks for the moment. I really like the sound and the grip
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/primetone-jazziii-xl

But as they are a bit to thin for my taste (1.4mm), I just ordered two Red Bear Big Jazzers with grip holes in extra heavy gauge (about 2mm). They're expensive but if they don't wear off that fast (as the company states) it should pay off. At least I hope so :)
    http://www.redbeartrading.com/flatpicks.html

• I have eventually ( always say that ...... but anyway for now...) found heaven! These odd shaped picks just do what people say they do in my opinion. And having been around for so many years I've had the opportunity to accumulate a lot of picks! These just arrived ( 1 1/2 months from the USA to Cape Town :( ) and I truly think so far they are the best I've tried. 2.5 mm but that shouldn't terrify anyone cause they really don`t feel that thick.They just seem faster than what I've tried before. Check them out someday . maybe you'll agree..
    http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

• But as they are a bit to thin for my taste (1.4mm), I just ordered two Red Bear Big Jazzers with grip holes in extra heavy gauge (about 2mm). They're expensive but if they don't wear off that fast (as the company states) it should pay off. At least I hope so :)
    http://www.redbeartrading.com/flatpicks.html

$30 for a single friggin' guitar pick, that is made out of synthetic material ???? I guess I have seen it all. Aye yai yai.

No offense meant...to each their own. I am sure they are wonderful picks.

• $30 for a single friggin' guitar pick, that is made out of synthetic material ???? I guess I have seen it all. Aye yai yai.

No offense meant...to each their own. I am sure they are wonderful picks.

It's darn steep. But I must say, I've heard really good things about these picks. I'd probably not buy them for electric guitar, but I could possibly be persuaded for recording acoustic. Just to try it :)

• Red Bears do not wear off much. They do last a long time, and if they are thick even longer. They do warp a little with sweat, especially the thinner (1 mm) and larger "standard" ones. Your thumb makes the centre give in a little, so the pick is no longer completely flat. But the 2 mm ones do not warp easily (if at all), and actually the ones with holes in the middle warp even less (got one 2mm "classic" size pick with holes that is still perfect). The holes give them more grip. Thicker jazz picks won't warp at all, I still have one Jazz pick (that I don't use anymore cause it's too small and thick for me now) which never warped. And with my third Red Bear pick (1.5 aprox, classic-size) the warp almost disappears once you have stopped using it for an hour or two. While you play you do not notice it has warped unless you stop to look at it. The sound and feel are, they say, similar to the old forbidden tortoise shell picks. I can't tell, but I like the feel and the tone. They give articulation to the notes but are not harsh at all. They slide well so they are rather fast, but probably that's not the best thing they've got. And they look good. They are expensive, but they last long, unless you leave them around...

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Red Bears do not wear off much. They do last a long time, and if they are thick even longer. They do warp a little with sweat, especially the thinner (1 mm) and larger "standard" ones. Your thumb makes the centre give in a little, so the pick is no longer completely flat. But the 2 mm ones do not warp easily (if at all), and actually the ones with holes in the middle warp even less (got one 2mm "classic" size pick with holes that is still perfect). The holes give them more grip. Thicker jazz picks won't warp at all, I still have one Jazz pick (that I don't use anymore cause it's too small and thick for me now) which never warped. And with my third Red Bear pick (1.5 aprox, classic-size) the warp almost disappears once you have stopped using it for an hour or two. While you play you do not notice it has warped unless you stop to look at it. The sound and feel are, they say, similar to the old forbidden tortoise shell picks. I can't tell, but I like the feel and the tone. They give articulation to the notes but are not harsh at all. They slide well so they are rather fast, but probably that's not the best thing they've got. And they look good. They are expensive, but they last long, unless you leave them around...

Does one (1) Red Bear pick last as long as it would take me to wear out one hundred and thirty four (134) Dunlop Derlin picks??

Dunlop Derlin 1.5mm -- qty. 72 / bag

I am obviously being a bit cheeky, here, so please don't take offense. In any event, these Red Bear's will never be a solution for me...given that I misplace and lose guitar picks at a faster rate than disposable pens, ChapStick, or my car keys.

I'm curious how long they will last, if they will fit my needs and if they'll be worth it!

• All you ask for (if you get used to the smaller size): Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III Carbon Fiber!I have been through them ALL (mostly :) ); but this is the holy grail of picks. Detailed sound, long lasting, stiff and fast, best grip you can get on the market. You get used to the smaller size very easy - for me it was a game changer, really.

Yes! Max Grip Carbon Fiber are awesome too! I like them for sounds with more gain and keep the Ultex version when I want more lows. The carbon fiber gives me more mids and the Ultex lows and bite.

Well I ended up ordering the Dunlop Max grip carbon fibers which are like tiny jazz picks. They are far too small for me. I used to use jazz picks but migrated to larger picks and I can’t seem to go back. I also ordered the large max grip picks which arrived today but I did not get a chance to use them yet. I will report back once I do, hopefully tomorrow morning. If I end up not liking them then I will move onto Gravity picks next. I would comment on the tone of the Carbon fibers but I didn’t even use them long enough to form an opinion.

• .73 for me. I scaled back a bit yo reduce wrist shock when I first came back to playinig. Just kinda stuck with them since, speed loss was never a problem back then lol.