What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• So my 3 V-picks arrived today from Thomann. Check out their packaging!!!

[Blocked Image: http://i64.tinypic.com/zukvt3.jpg]
    First impressions after playing Dava Control Grip Tips for the last 2-3 years are that they're BIG! They're also much thicker and stiffer, even when holding the Davas right at the very tip for more control. I can totally get the improved tone thing, as the Dava gels I favour have a very plasticky attack that is very obvious when coming from the V-picks. To me though, the V-picks seem way more cumbersome and the improvement in tone isn't worth the loss of control for me. It also made me realise that when I'm alternate or economy picking, I'm not actually holding the Davas right at the end, so there's more "give" in them. Contrary to what I believed, this doesn't lead to less control for me but more fluidity. Who would have thought that I'd actually prefer thinner picks after all?!?
    Such a great experiment, even if it was a fairly expensive one!

I dunno, seems a bit big and square to me. Don't think I would be able to connect with the strings the way I am used to, but to each his own... :P

Is this thing on?
    --
    Kemper Rack | Behringer FCB 1010
    Check out my band Blodsmak

• The Jurassic pick I mentioned is a joke (but you sure will find it in the picks and stones site among other "cheaper" picks), but anyone has tried amber picks? It is a natural resin so it must sound close to the forbidden shells. Red Bear and Blue Chip use alternative resins and ask a lot for their picks, especially Blue Chip, and their resins are synthetic after all.
    And has anybody tried the Dunlop Petrucci ultex picks? They are pretty fast and a tad larger than Jazz IIIs (for those who like me find the original size a bit too small). I like them, though the attack of the Red Bear resins sounds softer. And if you lose one you won't start crying like a child who's lost his/her favorite toy. Ha ha. That's why I lock up my Red Bear, of course.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• The Jurassic pick I mentioned is a joke (but you sure will find it in the picks and stones site among other "cheaper" picks), but anyone has tried amber picks? It is a natural resin so it must sound close to the forbidden shells. Red Bear and Blue Chip use alternative resins and ask a lot for their picks, especially Blue Chip, and their resins are synthetic after all.
    And has anybody tried the Dunlop Petrucci ultex picks? They are pretty fast and a tad larger than Jazz IIIs (for those who like me find the original size a bit too small). I like them, though the attack of the Red Bear resins sounds softer. And if you lose one you won't start crying like a child who's lost his/her favorite toy. Ha ha. That's why I lock up my Red Bear, of course.

Which one do you mean? I've tried the John Petrucci Jazz III (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii) and really like them. The problem is, they wear off to quick and are just still a little too small... Did anyone try the Petrucci Primetones (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/petrucci-primetone-pick)?

For the moment I'm using the Primetones Jazz III XL and the Read Bear Big Jazzer in extra heavy gauge (2 mm). Love the Read Bear, perfect shape, size and gauge (they're thicker than the Primetones which are 1.4 mm). But i still have to see how quick they will wear off. If they won't last quite long, they're just to expensive... But for now it looks like they're really made to last!

Edited once, last by MaFaDiC ().

• Which one do you mean? I've tried the John Petrucci Jazz III (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii) and really like them. The problem is, they wear off to quick and are just still a little too small... Did anyone tried the Petrucci Primetones (http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/petrucci-primetone-pick)?
    For the moment I'm using the Primetones Jazz III XL and the Read Bear Big Jazzer in extra heavy gauge (2 mm). Love the Read Bear, perfect shape, size and gauge (they're thicker than the Primetones which are 1.4 mm). But i still have to see how quick they will wear off. If they won't last quite long, they're just to expensive... But for now it looks like they're really made to last!

yeah, that is the Petrucci pick. I have not tried the Primetones. Red Bears last a lot.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• So my 3 V-picks arrived today from Thomann. Check out their packaging!!!

[Blocked Image: http://i64.tinypic.com/zukvt3.jpg]
    First impressions after playing Dava Control Grip Tips for the last 2-3 years are that they're BIG! They're also much thicker and stiffer, even when holding the Davas right at the very tip for more control. I can totally get the improved tone thing, as the Dava gels I favour have a very plasticky attack that is very obvious when coming from the V-picks. To me though, the V-picks seem way more cumbersome and the improvement in tone isn't worth the loss of control for me. It also made me realise that when I'm alternate or economy picking, I'm not actually holding the Davas right at the end, so there's more "give" in them. Contrary to what I believed, this doesn't lead to less control for me but more fluidity. Who would have thought that I'd actually prefer thinner picks after all?!?
    Such a great experiment, even if it was a fairly expensive one!

What V-Picks did you order? The one I prefer is the Tradition Lite 1.5 mm, what Dava-Picks do you use? I'm still not finished with comparing the "boutique"-picks (or any other ones) with my standard pick (Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm). But of course I wouldn't spend a fortune just for one pick, V-Picks are not thaaaat expensive (compared to Red Bear and Blue Chip, which I haven't seen or tried, yet).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• What V-Picks did you order? The one I prefer is the Tradition Lite 1.5 mm, what Dava-Picks do you use? I'm still not finished with comparing the "boutique"-picks (or any other ones) with my standard pick (Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm). But of course I wouldn't spend a fortune just for one pick, V-Picks are not thaaaat expensive (compared to Red Bear and Blue Chip, which I haven't seen or tried, yet).

I bought the same as you, Tradition Lite 1.5 mm. They're nice picks, just not for me. I've gotten too used to the Dava Control gel Grip Tips, which are slightly smaller and have a lot more 'give' in them. I remembered them as being 1.5mm, but I think they might actually be 1.0. If you want to try Dava, I'd go for the delrin variant, as they're stiffer and closer to the feel of the V-picks (though they still have more flex). I guess this has taught me that sometimes the grass is just as green right here! :)
    [Blocked Image: http://i65.tinypic.com/2lu3rs2.jpg]

• I bought the same as you, Tradition Lite 1.5 mm. They're nice picks, just not for me. I've gotten too used to the Dava Control gel Grip Tips, which are slightly smaller and have a lot more 'give' in them. I remembered them as being 1.5mm, but I think they might actually be 1.0. If you want to try Dava, I'd go for the delrin variant, as they're stiffer and closer to the feel of the V-picks (though they still have more flex). I guess this has taught me that sometimes the grass is just as green right here! :)

Thanks, I will try the Dava picks, too. I just ordered 2 sets with different picks. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Tortoise Shell Wins! Lester the reluctant Pick has tone like no other, rich and earthy. He wears out after two Texas Shuffles.
    Needs a carrot and sits out for maybe 3 or 4 numbers. We tried a squank on 335 blues tune and he pissed down my F-Hole, little bastard. No Who songs at all ever, he throws his legs out in defiance. I offered him a strawberry to take on an 8 string. He wants me to get him a girlfriend for that task. I told him nobody with an 8 string has a girlfriend ya dumb bastard. Muddy 8)

• I'm using a BlueChip STP 60--never wears out and has a great clean sound that can very from bright and warm, depending on your attack. Also using Fred Kelly BumbleBee thumbpick extra heavies. They wear out unlike BlueChips (but way cheaper) and have an incredible sound--no squeak/quack that normal thumbpicks have.

• This thread caused some troubles.... ;(

Hahaha, here as well :) Although a much smaller selection, I've added bone picks, mother-of-pearl picks and a metal pick... So far :) Wouldn't mind trying those red bear picks either....

For now, I'm mostly into the Dunlop Ultex sharps. Those are nice - good attack from the pointy shape :)

It's all very dependent on your amp setup (ie. which profile) and your playing, of course.

• Coming from the Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm, I noticed that I still like a similar form and size. Therefore my favourite ones are the V-Pick "Euro 2", "Bullseye" and "Tradition Lite", strangely right now I'm playing best with the Euro 2 (despite the holes).... ;)

Some of the V-Picks are too big and some are too small for me, Dava was just a little waste of time and money.

I still had no chance to test a lot of other picks like BlueChip, Red Bear ect.

Anyway, to find the V-Picks has been a big improvement for me. :thumbup:

• Have you tried the Diamond? Or the Dimension/Dimension Jr? It wasnt untill I tried these, that I made the swap.

• So I ended up gravitating towards 4 picks. The Dunlop max grip, the Ultex sharps, Dunlop tortex Jazz XL, and V-Pick Euro. I keep them on my music stand and when one gets sweaty I swap it for another pick and go round and round during my practice sessions. I find that every time I swap for the Dunlop Max grip Carbon Fiber that my playing gets and sounds better than with any of the others picks. So for right now that’s my pick of choice. I think I will revisit this quest in another year or so and see how I feel about other, more expensive options, like blue chip and gravity picks.

• So, I've tested the Red Bear Big Jazzer (extra heavy gauge) for a few weeks now and I really like them! But I'm not sure yet if I will use them as my main pick or if I should stick to the Dunlop Primetone Jazz III XL. Sometimes I feel like I have more control with the Dunlop and a more defined attack, as if they would transmit the "impacts" more directly to my fingers, don't know how to explain the feel. But then on other days I feel more comfortable with the Red Bear... Guess that I have to test both a few month more. But sure thing is that I like both picks a lot!