What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• Have you tried the Diamond? Or the Dimension/Dimension Jr? It wasnt untill I tried these, that I made the swap.

I think you're talking about the V-Pick-Diamond and V-Pick Dimension, no I didn't test these ones, but a lot of others, also big ones like Gladiator and Memphis. Probably the Diamond and Dimension are too thick for me, too. Unfortunately not all models are available in German music-stores, I ordered the V-Picks primarily in other European countries. Generally I like the V-Picks very much and I'll stay with them, Bullseye and/or Euro 2 will replace my Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm.

Would you recommend the Diamond Pointed or normal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• I think you're talking about the V-Pick-Diamond and V-Pick Dimension, no I didn't test these ones, but a lot of others, also big ones like Gladiator and Memphis. Probably the Diamond and Dimension are too thick for me, too. Unfortunately not all models are available in German music-stores, I ordered the V-Picks primarily in other European countries. Generally I like the V-Picks very much and I'll stay with them, Bullseye and/or Euro 2 will replace my Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm.
    Would you recommend the Diamond Pointed or normal?

On paper, one cant fathom that something so thick ( over 4mm) is even playable. But you really should try them.
    Thomann carries them I think.
    As for pointed or not, Brand new the pointed might be a little too pointy , but rounds up nicely after a bit. Both good.
    The only drawback is that in the unlikely event you drop it, finding a transparent pick can be tricky. The bonus is that it makes such a noise when it hits the floor that you can hear where it is :)

• Since Lester T. won't cooperate any longer the V-Picks Screamers, Dimensions, Johnny Hiland and Water Buffalo work well.
    Lester T. reminded me a Tortoise lives a lot longer than most musicians.Don't fear the fat ones just get outta there before daybreak's Muddy 8)

That Johnny Hilland looks great. Its the first premium sized I have seen in red. If the feel is the same visible red is good.

• I just ordered the V-Pick Diamond, until now the V-Pick Euro 2 is my favourite one. After getting used to the holes (good grip), the Euro 2 seems to be a very versatile pick that I can use for most guitars, even acoustics. The standard Euro-pick is a bit too small for me, goodbye Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm.... 8)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I don't know Dava, Red Bear and Blue Chip, but for more than 30 $ for 1 pick. it is hard to test several ones.

@guenterhaas Hey Guenter, I have tried a Bluechip (€ 50 for just 1 pick....)...I thought I give it a shot..very and I mean very disappointing :thumbdown: Don't do it, you won't like it !!

V Pick euro is still favourite but I tried 2 also pretty interesting picks. V pick Dimension and a Michel Wegen pick. That one is a jazz III replacement but sounds incredible !!

Maybe also a nice one, I carved my V-picks using a soldering iron..gives you a very good grip :thumbup:

[Blocked Image: http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah142/bertmeulendijk/20161230-135125_zpsuwdf6bk9.jpg]

• Hi Bert, thanks for the advice.... I'm not interested in testing the BlueChip-pick anyway, 50 EUR or more for 1 guitar-pick is just ridiculous... The Euro 2 is the one at the moment, followed by Bullseye and Tradition Lite. The standard Euro is great, too, but a little too small for me. I don't have any problems with the grip and the holes in the Euro 2 are very helpful, too.

I've never heard of Michel Wegen-picks, they seem to be very rare, but I will search for it on the net. I ordered the Diamond just out of curiosity, the Dimension I didn't find here in Germany.

Anyway, the V-Picks are a big improvement and much better than the Dunlops I used for decades..... thanks for the info !!!

P.S.: There's a store close to Hamburg, they sell V-picks and Michel Wegen-picks. ;)

• Hi Bert, thanks for the advice.... I'm not interested in testing the BlueChip-pick anyway, 50 EUR or more for 1 guitar-pick is just ridiculous... The Euro 2 is the one at the moment, followed by Bullseye and Tradition Lite. The standard Euro is great, too, but a little too small for me. I don't have any problems with the grip and the holes in the Euro 2 are very helpful, too.
    I've never heard of Michel Wegen-picks, they seem to be very rare, but I will search for it on the net. I ordered the Diamond just out of curiosity, the Dimension I didn't find here in Germany.

Anyway, the V-Picks are a big improvement and much better than the Dunlops I used for decades..... thanks for the info !!!

P.S.: There's a store close to Hamburg, they sell V-picks and Michel Wegen-picks. ;)

Hi guys, thx for the hint. Just ordered the Euro2, a Mummy and some 0.8 lite strumming pics. The vids on youtube about the pics are awesome. Cant wait to check them out :thumbup:

A very cool new year to all of you!

• gotta try the euro. I tried the Diamond once and found it huge and clumsy. I have a classic V pick, the almost triangular one, and I don't dislike it. Got a Wegen that is right-handed and is of no use to me, since it is thick and has a contour that makes me twist ny left hand, the picking hand. Wegens vary a lot and may be a good option. They have a good grip. Some are flat and others thick but with a thumb cave-in shape, like the one somebody gave to me ages ago.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

Edited once, last by CJGOMEZ ().

• the standard euro V pick is like a Jazz III or a bit larger?

I don't have the Jazz III, just the Jazz III XL, Standard Euro is smaller, here's a comparison. The Euro 2's size is very similar to the Dunlop (a tiny bit wider) and the Jazz III XL.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a Dimension V-Pick. This is a Bar Fight sound track. Hard to miss anything when you throw boulders.
    Muddy 8)

• No, of course nobody has my exact preferences :) But I think @guenterhaas is coming close ;)

Yes, I haven't met Bert until now, but we have a similar taste, experience as session-players, favourite guitars, amps ect., so I didn't wonder that he'd chosen similar favourite V-picks.

I think 5 or 6 EUR for one pick is quite expensive, but 50 EUR or more for one pick is just absurd. And I'm really happy with the V-picks.

The plectrum-picks from Switzerland seems to be very exotic and very expensive, too. Unfortunately you have to spend a fortune just to test a few. I need a pick I can use for most guitars and music-styles, the V-pick Euro 2 seems the one right now and I can afford a few spares, too. ;) But I also like a lot of the other V-Picks like Gladiator, Bullseye, Chicken Picker, Tradition Lite, Red Rocker and even the funny Memphis, Tradition Ultra Lite is great for acoustic guitars.

Edited 3 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• These all appear to me to be absurdly huge. Interesting, but ultimately useless to most I am sure. Can anyone really play well with a pick the size of a small boulder?

He can make pretty much whatever shape you want. The big ones are really surprisingly comfortable. Depends what you play.

These picks are really expensive, they are equivalent of custom shop guitars which are made for collectors. I personally don't use them day by day, but they are just fun to have :)