What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• He can make pretty much whatever shape you want. The big ones are really surprisingly comfortable. Depends what you play.
    These picks are really expensive, they are equivalent of custom shop guitars which are made for collectors. I personally don't use them day by day, but they are just fun to have :)

I'm sure that there are a lot of great picks out there, but the problem ist the testing. I'm owning expensive vintage guitars ('54 Telecaster, '58 Stratocaster and more), but I could play them for hours (or days) before I spent the money. I've never seen the Swiss picks in any music-stores, how shall I test them and find the right one?

That's the main problem, boutique-picks are hard to find and there's hardly a chance to test them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I'm sure that there are a lot of great picks out there, but the problem ist the testing. I'm owning expensive vintage guitars ('54 Telecaster, '58 Stratocaster and more), but I could play them for hours (or days) before I spent the money. I've never seen the Swiss picks in any music-stores, how shall I test them and find the right one?
    That's the main problem, boutique-picks are hard to find and there's hardly a chance to test them.

Yeah I get what you are saying and you are right - these particular picks play rather different than anything I normally use (which is 0.7x Tortex/Ultex or 1.2 mm Jazz) - they have much more bite so to speak, and some of them have very distinct tone - not everyone may like them and considering the price, it's a lot of money to potentially waste.

Other than that - I normally burn a Tortex a day if I practice normally, I mean it will work but will get slippery/dull. If I gig/go to jams I kill 4-5 of these a day. They are 50p each, I practice every day. A "boutique" pick will last me a week or 2 (Gravity, plectrum.ch ones) if I don't lose it :) I still prefer Tortex for nomral day to day playing though.

What I did, I picked a couple I liked the looks of and sent the pics along with url to my girlfriend. Christmas, birthdays etc.. covered :) I figured, even if I don't like them I can keep them for the looks.

Edited 2 times, last by mdeeRocks ().

• Patrick Hufschmid from Aigle...............(a most beautiful place in the Mountains of Switzerland near Lesin Ski Resort.!!) made me a few picks in the early days . They were made from Polyoxymethylene if I recall.......( a thermoplastic used in engineering) and worked very well indeed.
    I see he has now joined the crazy thickness line as well :)
    I have one of his white ones made around 10mm thick. Never could entirely get used to them. They are similar to playing with a brick IMHO.
    Great guy though and a real Genius!!!! . Check his guitars................. https://hufschmidguitars.com/tantalum
    He told me he stomps around in the forests there and uses exotic woods he can find in nature.

• Patrick Hufschmid seems to build very interesting stuff, I like guys like him a lot. To start something innovative is always anything else but easy. Many guitar-players tend to be very conservative, I'm still hearing a lot of nonsense, because I'm using the Kemper.... One guitar-player said to me f.e. "why shall I use a plastic-doll (Kemper), when I'm able to have a real woman (tube-amp)"... Another one said: "I don't like the sound of the Kemper, especially the mids", my explanation of the KPA's concept (the profiles are responsible for the sound ect.) was useless, just 2 examples.

If I have a chance to test Patrick's guitars and picks, I will do it of course. But I can't order something with the high risk of wasting a lot of money and I don't use picks for decoration. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have had the Kemper since inception and still have a problem keeping my mouth shut when it comes to this sort of mental block. I will learn I guess.
    Spot on what you are saying Guenter
    "why shall I use a plastic-doll (Kemper), when I'm able to have a real woman "
    As with my wife, I am married to one woman and only window shop now. :D Same with amps. I have one amp and dont see the reason to change that as in that amp I have multiple women 8)
    Love your stuff Guenter. I got Lost in your Dream!
    Lindsay

• Thanks Lindsay, it's always great to get a positive response for your own music.

This forum is really unique and I'm finding many interesting topics all the time. And it's not a smartass-forum with endless Kemper vs. this and that-discussions.

BTT: I'm still trying new picks and I have to say that I really love the V-picks. In the beginning the Tradition Lite was my favourite one, now it's the thicker Tradition-standard (2.75 mm), a great allround-pick and also -despite the thickness- great for picking and strumming on acoustic guitars. Nevertheless I also like the Euro 2 and Bullseye very much, even the very thick Diamond is useful for fast runs and jazz-stuff.

This thread really enlarged my horizon, Bert's comment using V-picks started it all. :thumbup:

• Dunlop Tortex Standard 1,14, the purple one. I had been using 2mm picks before, but the Dunlop feels actually thicker to me. With strings 10-46 this works best for me with great grip.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I use all kinds of pick depending on the purpose, but perhaps my favourite pick material is Ultex.

The best grip that I have come across is Dunlop Max Grip.

If only Dunlop would offer the Max Grip thing for the Ultex picks, that would probably be my ultimate pick.

Jazz III XL Ultex it pretty close to what would be ideal, but unfortunately it is a couple of mm's shorter than the regular 351 shape.

Dunlop Prime Tone is also pretty close to my specs, but the engraved(?) grip isn't as good as the grip that sticks out of the pick surface.

• Try out the John Petrucci ultex jazz picks. They are not as grippy as the max grips, but they have a few ridges that could help if you need that additional texture.

• Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm more comfortable with "regular" size (351) picks.l

My latest pick experiment was with Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14mm
    They're more regular size/shape. The regular (i.e. non sharp) are probably even more your thing. They go up to 2.0 mm too, if that's your bag.

• My latest pick experiment was with Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14mmThey're more regular size/shape. The regular (i.e. non sharp) are probably even more your thing. They go up to 2.0 mm too, if that's your bag.

Those are very good. I currently use the most the non-sharp Ultex 1.14mm or the Sharp 1.14mm or 1.40mm. I drill a couple of holes with a small drill bit when I need better grip.

• Thanks Lindsay, it's always great to get a positive response for your own music.
    This forum is really unique and I'm finding many interesting topics all the time. And it's not a smartass-forum with endless Kemper vs. this and that-discussions.

BTT: I'm still trying new picks and I have to say that I really love the V-picks. In the beginning the Tradition Lite was my favourite one, now it's the thicker Tradition-standard (2.75 mm), a great allround-pick and also -despite the thickness- great for picking and strumming on acoustic guitars. Nevertheless I also like the Euro 2 and Bullseye very much, even the very thick Diamond is useful for fast runs and jazz-stuff.

This thread really enlarged my horizon, Bert's comment using V-picks started it all. :thumbup:

Hope Im not banging on a bit too much here but someday ( over the Rainbow) give the Dragon Heart Picks a look in. http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/store/ And another view from Robert Baker........ https://safeshare.tv/x/BDwtUY8AggA ...... From Vinnie`s picks to these was even an improvement for me. Amen............. :thumbup:

• How do you like 'em Sam? That's what I'm using at the moment (a thinner version, anyway)

They're pretty good as non-gimmicky picks go, but I've been ruined by Dava Control Grip Tips. Nothing else I've tried so far feels right to me, though I wish that the tone was better in the Davas. The tone from the V-picks Tradition Light was way better, the Ultex also a touch fuller.

• So today my new pick's from the US arrived in Germany (12 days from order to my home).

On the left is my old Dunlop MAX-GRIP 1,5, it's not a bad one, but I'd like to try the recommended picks from Bert and Guenterhaas.

next is the V-Pick Tradition UL (0,88mm) for clean sounds/strumming,
    Next the EURO II for universal playing
    and on the right is a V-Pick called "The Mummy". This one is awesome. Best grip ever and very cool sounding. I can recomment this one for gainy playing. This one is my fav.
    I think it's prox. 2,5mm.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ERkSg9a.jpg]

Cheers
    Frank

• You can order V-Picks in the EU:

Keuringsdienst van Snaren

They have plenty of V-Picks and other Boutique-picks, the website is in Dutch, but I didn't have troubles to order several times and the delivery is fast.

Yes, the "Mummy" is great, too, very sharp and aggressive sound, it's terrific how picks can change the whole guitar-sound. Tradition Standard and Euro 2 are great for general use and my favourite ones, The Tradition UL is great for strumming on acoustic guitars. I'm glad that Bert posted his favourite picks. :thumbup:

P.S.: My name is Guenter (actually Günter), Haas is my family name and guenterhaas is just my id here.

• Thx for the hint Günter. I think i'll stay with this awesome picks. You are absolutly right, this picks are changing the sound. The mummy is very " edgy" and its a great pick for fast playing.

Cheers
    Frank

• Any new pick-users?
    I'm now playing my favourite pick for several months and I played a whole tour (January/February) with it:

V-Pick Tradition

It lasts much longer than the picks I used before (Dunlop Delrin 1.5 mm), in the end it's not more expensive.