What kind of Pick is everyone using?

• I have some Red Bear No. 9 heavys. been using them for years. they last a very very long time if you take care of them. recently, because they've been so hard to get... and expensive.... I've been using Dunlop Petrucci Jazz III picks. love them. with their polished tips they are the closest thing I've used to Red Bear. they are also very durable.

Similar story here.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• [Blocked Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqs6…17%2C%2019.07.04.jpg?dl=1]

The search for the perfect pick is ongoing. Thanks for the tips and picks, @guenterhaas !
    My current faves are Dawman Picks (the see-through neon green in the top row and the black and red immediately to the left of it). Who'd have thought I'd enjoy 3 mm thick picks? :D

Very interesting, because the Dawman-picks are my favorite picks now, I like the same picks (Shredline red + black and UFO neon green),

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I also can recommend Dawman-pics, manufactured in Minsk (Belarus) with free international shipping. Here's the link:

http://dawmanpicks.com/

I like the Shredline Standard and the UFO Standard, both not pointed. These two pics and the V-Picks Tradition are now my favorite ones, MUCH better than any Dunlops I've played and tried before.

Hi Guenter, how do you compare the feel and sound of the Shredline and UFO and more important how do you compare them to the V-Picks ?
    It's important for me, i never liked the sound of the V-picks cause i find there is way too much High artefacts and Harmonics with it.

EDIT: Well, just found some demos on youtube and those picks seems to be way to noisy (for me) it's a shame cause there are very beautiful (love the UFO <3 ), 3 mm is great and the cost very honest.
    Can you confirm the sound is like V-Picks ?

• I love collecting picks and have a one of those little plastic storage organizers full of different materials and sizes. But no matter what kind of pick I try I always go back to the same pick I used when I first started playing.

[Blocked Image: https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--cmzyFos2--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1460060622/lfvqzammurtnirivjv7m.jpg]

I really enjoyed the feel of the Dunlop Jazz III XL and played them for 5 years but recently went back to Fender Celluloid because they sound good whether strumming fast clean funky chords or high gain lead.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools
    But that's the way I like it baby
    I don't wanna live forever

• Hi Guenter, how do you compare the feel and sound of the Shredline and UFO and more important how do you compare them to the V-Picks ?
    It's important for me, i never liked the sound of the V-picks cause i find there is way too much High artefacts and Harmonics with it.

EDIT: Well, just found some demos on youtube and those picks seems to be way to noisy (for me) it's a shame cause there are very beautiful (love the UFO <3 ), 3 mm is great and the cost very honest.

The Shredline picks do indeed have more high end "chirp" to them, mostly due to the unfinished edges, á la Gravity Picks' 'Master Finish' used on the Rob Chapman signature plectrums. The Ufos less so and more in line with V Picks, I'd say, though still more than any Dunlop I ever tried.

• Hi Guenter, how do you compare the feel and sound of the Shredline and UFO and more important how do you compare them to the V-Picks ?

My favorite one is the Dawman Shredline (Standard, 3mm, red, not pointed), like at V-Picks there are a lot of different models, so you can't say there is a basic sound for all picks. The V-Pick Diamond sounds totally different than the Mummy, just one example. I would say the Dawman UFO comes close to the V-Pick Tradition, my favorite one from V-Picks. The Dawman Shredline Standard 3mm (not pointed) is giving the perfect sound and feel for me, of course this is very subjective and depends also an your guitar-equipment and playing technique. I'm using 010 strings and mainly vintage-guitars like Fender '58 Strat, '54 Tele, Gibson '69 Les Paul Custom + '69 ES-335. The Shredline Standard is also a bit smaller than the V-Pick Tradition and its size is very similar to the Dunlop Delrin (1.5 mm) I used before. The best is to order a variety-pack and find the best one for yourself. Dawman-Picks are located in Minsk (Belarus) and the support is fantastic.

There is also quite a big difference between the Shredline pointed and not pointed, I prefer the not pointed-ones (generally), the pointed-ones have too much "treble-smack" for my taste, the not-pointed Shredline sounds warmer and I can play better and faster, too. But in the end you have to try it out by yourself. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited 5 times, last by guenterhaas ().

• I'm enjoying the dava picks you mentioned before @sambrox. How do the dawman picks compare?

Different world! I still really like the comfort of the Dava Grip Tip gels, but I was going through about 4 per gig, they really are flimsy in the heat of the moment. Plus, the attack is very plasticky, I much prefer the robust tone and attack of the thicker Dawman Picks. What I like about them over V-Picks though, for instance, is that they are closer in size and shape to the Davas, at least the sharp variants I ordered. Funny that @guenterhaas can play faster with the standard, I am the opposite! Just shows how much different technique means to each of us :)
    Yes, the sharp variants have a more trebly attack, but I find the sharp UFOs are a nice bridge between the Shredline sharp and the standard, probably down to their smoother bevel.
    All in all, the thicker picks take a bit of getting used to, but they're worth it for the increase in tone, I reckon. They're also helping to improve my technique, as I can't rely on the almost razor-like precision (in comparison) of the Davas to bail me out of sloppy right hand motion.

• My favorite one is the Dawman Shredline (Standard, 3mm, red, not pointed), like at V-Picks there are a lot of different models, so you can't say there is a basic sound for all picks. The V-Pick Diamond sounds totally different than the Mummy, just one example. I would say the Dawman UFO comes close to the V-Pick Tradition, my favorite one from V-Picks. The Dawman Shredline Standard 3mm (not pointed) is giving the perfect sound and feel for me, of course this is very subjective and depends also an your guitar-equipment and playing technique. I'm using 010 strings and mainly vintage-guitars like Fender '58 Strat, '54 Tele, Gibson '69 Les Paul Custom + '69 ES-335. The Shredline Standard is also a bit smaller than the V-Pick Tradition and its size is very similar to the Dunlop Delrin (1.5 mm) I used before. The best is to order a variety-pack and find the best one for yourself. Dawman-Picks are located in Minsk (Belarus) and the support is fantastic.

There is also quite a big difference between the Shredline pointed and not pointed, I prefer the not pointed-ones (generally), the pointed-ones have too much "treble-smack" for my taste, the not-pointed Shredline sounds warmer and I can play better and faster, too. But in the end you have to try it out by yourself. ;)

Thx for reply, you're right there is a lot of différent V-Picks models and I should say I find the all transparent ones ((pointy or not no matter the thickness) that I eared were too noisy (again for me).
    I have already my basket full with a variety pack and will probably try them even i think that will not match for me. (I like very much the looking of UFO)

Well the research of the holy grail continue, I never found my total happiness and I'm using right now a Dunlop prime tone 1.5 and the Ultex Sharp 2.0 (more and more)
    [Blocked Image: http://www.guitarplectrums.co.uk/images/medium/dunlop-ultex-sharp-2.0mm_m.jpg]