Pure Cabinet

• normally you flip a switch and there is a 100 percent polarity change isn't there?

That's a polarity reversal - phase issues are different :)

See

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ...My only head scratcher is how you can apply some pure cab to a signal and solve it. is there such a thing as incremental phase cancellation? normally you flip a switch and there is a 100 percent polarity change isn't there?

I think it has to do with close miced cabinet, the closer the mic is to the speaker the more this phasing thing occurs. The wave forms in the near field -closed micing- are uneven and have phase issues that result in what some perceive as harsh. My guess is that the resulting high frequency sizzle from the mic being so close can be estimated and an algorithm can accomplish this complex eq thing.

That's why I believe some Profiles don't need it and my guess would be it's those profiles that were produced by placing the mic further away from the speaker. Still certain amps might sound better very closed mic so I think it probably will be subjective and should be tried with each individual profile (fortunately some users requested the ability to have it per preset and now that's available in 5.0 beta)

Edited 4 times, last by Dean_R ().

• thanks monkey that explains it, so its not necessarily solving a problem with the kemper but a problem to do with miking cabs in general?

Correct weight, Oh Nameless One. My pleasure, mate.

And it seems it doesn't affect all profiles from what you are saying?

The less inherent phase cancellation present in a Profile, the less audible effect there'll be. IOW, for Profiles where there's very-little (there'll never be none, not in the real world), there'll be very-little change by Pure Cab™... in theory.

My only head scratcher is how you can apply some pure cab to a signal and solve it. is there such a thing as incremental phase cancellation? normally you flip a switch and there is a 100 percent polarity change isn't there?

Michael's video explains this very well. Of course, you're correct - a 100% polarity change is a 180º phase change, or a "flip".

Your answer to the "incremental" thing is illustrated in the video by his shifting a duplicate sound file. Generally-speaking, the further you move it, the greater the likelihood of deep comb filtering. Another way of looking at it is if we assume there's zero phase cancellation whilst a mic is pointing directly at a source (not realistic, but for the purpose of example...), the more we tilt its diaphragm away from it (increasing the angle from "0" degrees), the more frequencies will get cancelled. This is what I meant when I used the term, "deeper comb filtering". So yeah, it's incremental, right the way up to the point at which you've pointed the mic 180º away from the speaker, after which, if you continue to swivel it around it'll incrementally decrease back to our theoretical-zero point. Interestingly, the fully-pointed-away point (180º) won't have as much cancellation going on as the angles immediately around it, 'cause even 'though the signal level will be much lower, sound waves are at least able to enter the capsule at roughly the same time from all sides. Make sense?

The answer to your head-scratcher lies in the brilliance of the K-Team™'s skill, intelligence and programming prowess!

• I have a general question...should purecab be on for using an FRFR, or something like the kabinet when it comes out? Being new to KPA I am trying to understand what it really does.

Pure Cab is a easy way to reduce artifacts that commonly occur when close micing an amp.
    IMO on a great sounding (to my ears) cabinet it does nothing (it is an adaptive algorithm), but if there are 'issues' with it, like comb filtering artifacts from phase misalignment - it takes care of those.

Mine is on globally on 3.3 :)

I switch it off regularly, or override it with the CABINET setting, but re-activate it pretty much all the time.

In a FRFR :D enviroment, you should be able to hear the effect Pure Cab makes, so try it, give it a minute to et your ears adjust, switch it off again - see how you like it.

hth

• So with it connected to an FRFR (like Headrush), I then press the cab button to make sure cab sim is ON, then go into GLOBAL OUTPUT settings and turn on PURECAB there?