Does Monitor Cab Off affect Main out? Bad live sound through Kemper

• Hi there. Quick question. I was playing a gig yesterday in a big PA system (1000 people) and it was my first time using the Kemper live and the sound guy (a guy who owns the PA rental, sound engineer for 25 years) was always telling me how bad and weird my guitar sounded in the PA. It sounded really really good on stage through my Yamaha DXR10. I have owned many amps and the sound I had yesterday through the Kemper on stage was the best I've ever had but the sound guy kept complaining. So I started to wonder what I was doing wrong with the Kemper. My main out levels are set to -18.0, Pure Cab to 4.0 and Monitor Cab is ON. Do you have any advice on this subject for me? Should I turn the Monitor Cab OFF when playing live?

- Fannar

• The selection box in the output menu is called "Monitor Cab Off". When this is engaged, the cabinet is turned off for the monitor output. For your application (PA+DXR10), this option should be disengaged.
    Could it be the case that you connected the DXR10 to the main outputs and sent the monitor output to the PA?

• The way this is specified in the Kemper is a bit confusing IMO:

• If "Monitor Cab Off" is disengaged, so the little box is not marked, the cabinet remains on for the monitor output.
    • If "Monitor Cab Off" is engaged, so the little box is marked, the cabinet is turned off for the monitor output.

You could check your output settings: what is selected to be sent through the main outputs and what is sent through the monitor output?

• Monitor cab off should only be activated when using the Profiler with a regular nonlinear guitar cab,
    When you use a FRFR monitor you should leave it inactive. But either way it will have no influence on the sound coming out of the main outs.

• I would imagine it's not your "Monitor Cab Off" settings at all.
    It was probably your main out settings, did you check that? Your main out might be set up so it's not going through the whole Kemper signal chain.

• ...the sound guy kept complaining. So I started to wonder what I was doing wrong with the Kemper.

On the output menu, look on page one. Under "Main Output" you'll have the following options:

• Off
    • Git+Processing
    • Git Studio
    • Stack
    • Mod left
    • Mod Mono
    • Mod Stereo
    • Master Left
    • Master Mono
    • Master Stereo
    • Delay/Reverb Wet

If I am not mistaken, you want "Master Stereo" for main output stereo to FOH, and "Master Mono" for main output mono (left output) to FOH. I have my mains set -24db and Main Out -12 ticked.

Hope that helps!

Edit - From Reference manual --
    Master Stereo -- (Default setting for MAIN OUTPUT and S/PDIF OUTPUT, not available for DIRECT OUTPUT and MONITOR OUTPUT, as these are mono outputs) Represents the full signal with all effects in stereo.

Master Mono -- (Default setting for MONITOR OUTPUT) Delivers a mono mix of the “Master Stereo” signal.

Master Left -- (or Right for DIRECT OUTPUT). Delivers only one side of the stereo signal of “Master Stereo”. This will sound similar to “Master Mono” but often less dense, depending what stereo effects are used.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Thomas

Edited once, last by thomasjg ().

• Should the Monitor Cab Off be Checked or Unchecked when using the Kemper Kabinet?

The Kemper Support quote is from 2016 - before the Kabinet existed.

Monitor Cab Off = OFF means the cabinet module of a Studio or Merged Rig is always heard in the Monitor Output.

Monitor Cab Off = OFF and Kone Mode = ON puts the Kabinet in Full-Range Mode.

Monitor Cab Off = ON and Kone Mode = ON puts the Kabinet in Imprint Mode.

• Hi there. Quick question. I was playing a gig yesterday in a big PA system (1000 people) and it was my first time using the Kemper live and the sound guy (a guy who owns the PA rental, sound engineer for 25 years) was always telling me how bad and weird my guitar sounded in the PA. It sounded really really good on stage through my Yamaha DXR10. I have owned many amps and the sound I had yesterday through the Kemper on stage was the best I've ever had but the sound guy kept complaining. So I started to wonder what I was doing wrong with the Kemper. My main out levels are set to -18.0, Pure Cab to 4.0 and Monitor Cab is ON. Do you have any advice on this subject for me? Should I turn the Monitor Cab OFF when playing live?

- Fannar

Did the sound guy tell you what „bad and weird“ meant?

He could have compared to your DXR10 sound.

I think you had no chance to make a mistake :)