Morphing delay time = Doppler effects = (practically) unusable

• Hello everybody!
    When morphing delay time parameter, Doppler-effects are present in the sound.
    I am aware of the fact that it can be correct equivalent physical model of changing delay time, but from a view of guitar player I find it rather unusable if you are not trying to mimic accelerating cars.
    If delay is set "To tempo" this effect is not observed.
    Is it possible somehow to get delay time morphing without Doppler?

• Until a couple of firmware versions ago, one of the old delay types was a realistic analog delay with the doppler effect when changing the delay time, and another ("Free Delay") deliberately did not exhibit this behaviour. When those different types were merged into the Legacy Delay (in preparation for the brand new delay types in Kemper OS 5.0), that difference was lost.

Are you using the latest beta with the new delays? If so, you could try each of the new types and check if perhaps one of them doesn't have the doppler effect. I'm not in front of my Kemper right now, but isn't there a new one called "Digital Delay"? The new manual/addendum doesn't mention it yet but I'd give that one a try first.

[I will check this later and correct it if needed. :) ]

• Robrecht thank you for chiming in.
    Yes I am using the latest 5 beta. I have tried all delays which are present in v5, and unfortunately all of them exhibited Doppler effect when morphing time.
    So what I am looking for is Free Delay that was abandoned in present version...
    I did not use morphing until yesterday, because I didn't have expression pedal. So I will try to load v4 and test the Free delay.

• I have tried all delays which are present in v5, and unfortunately all of them exhibited Doppler effect when morphing time.

Ah. Too bad. Something for a feature request then, perhaps? "Bring back a delay without doppler effect when changing delay time", something like that. As you can see in the thread I linked in my previous post, there are at least a couple of other users who miss it too.

I did not use morphing until yesterday, because I didn't have expression pedal. So I will try to load v4 and test the Free delay.

Unfortunately, I think the version in which morphing was introduced is also the one where the old delays were combined into the Legacy Delay (4.0.0.12028 Public Beta). In other words, if you go back to an even older version to test the Free Delay, you won't be able to do it by morphing. You should still be able to test it, though, by simply turning the knob for the delay time parameter on the Kemper itself.

• Ah. Too bad. Something for a feature request then, perhaps? "Bring back a delay without doppler effect when changing delay time", something like that. As you can see in the thread I linked in my previous post, there are at least a couple of other users who miss it too.

I think I will make one.

Unfortunately, I think the version in which morphing was introduced is also the one where the old delays were combined into the Legacy Delay (4.0.0.12028 Public Beta). In other words, if you go back to an even older version to test the Free Delay, you won't be able to do it by morphing. You should still be able to test it, though, by simply turning the knob for the delay time parameter on the Kemper itself.

:( Unfortunately you might be right, so I won't hesitate to try. Thanks.

• Why not just put two different delays and toggle between?

Tommy, thank you for the tip, I will try to morph MIX parameters of two delays. This might be usable solution to problem, but it requires one additional fx slot and there will be no spill over if changing rig from the one which is not in delay slot.

• There is a semi workaround. You can enable tempo for the rig and morph the delay time in note value. This way you don't have the "tape echo like"-effect. For me the result is closer than mixing two delays.
    The disadvantage is that the delays will morph in steps and not smooth. Another disadvantage is that moving from a 40ms short slapback to a 550ms, 100% feedback delay is not precise enough. BTW morphing Feedback from 40-125% without enabling "infinite" separately would be likable :)

• There is a semi workaround. You can enable tempo for the rig and morph the delay time in note value. This way you don't have the "tape echo like"-effect. For me the result is closer than mixing two delays.
    The disadvantage is that the delays will morph in steps and not smooth. Another disadvantage is that moving from a 40ms short slapback to a 550ms, 100% feedback delay is not precise enough. BTW morphing Feedback from 40-125% without enabling "infinite" separately would be likable

You are right, thank you!
    Discussion about this feature is continuing in the FR thread Please bring back a delay without doppler effect when changing/morphing delay time aka. Free delay