Kemper rack + scarlett 2i2, no sound?

• Hi folks,

i just picked up a kemper unpowered rack and a scarlett 2i2, however there is no sound output coming from the 2 powered monitors (KRK rokit 5). Since I use the kemper next to my PC, i'd like the PC and Kemper to output sound from the monitors, which was how my old Line 6 POD HD PRO was set up, as it included a built in audio interface.

This is my connection setup: 2 TRS Cables from Kemper 2 Main outputs into Scarlett 2i2's 2 inputs, then two 1/4 cables from 2i2 out to my studio monitors. Is this the correct way to connect it?

I've also tried just using one TRS cable using 'monitor out' on the Kemper and into the scarlet input, but there is still no sound. However, I can get sound by directly connecting the monitors to the kemper.

Any help appreciated thanks so much.

• Did you install the Scarlett Mix Control Software and drivers on your PC?

Can you get any sound from Windows, to your monitors, through the 2i2?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Did you install the Scarlett Mix Control Software and drivers on your PC?

Can you get any sound from Windows, to your monitors, through the 2i2?

No i haven't installed mix control but i did install the ASIO drivers.

I am able to get sound from PC to the monitors, but no sound through Kemper guitar.

• Connecting the Kemper directly to the monitors works, so the problem isn't the Kemper.

The Scarlett 2i2, like any audio interface, works as an audio input and output to and from your computer. That means your computer needs to be on and running some kind of software to process the incoming audio and send it back out. Typically, this would be a DAW (studio recording software).

However, if I'm not mistaken, the Scarlett 2i2 has a "direct monitoring" function to route audio directly from input to output, without the need to pass through a connected computer. Switching it on should solve your problem.

The difference with your Line 6 Pod is that, being primarily a guitar effects unit, it is set up to pass through sound by default.

• No i haven't installed mix control but i did install the ASIO drivers.
    I am able to get sound from PC to the monitors, but no sound through Kemper guitar.

Does the Direct Monitor switch on the front, affect anything when you switch it?

What DAW software are you running?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• It's working now, switching to Direct Monitoring solved it! Thank you so much guys for your help, thanks!!

Great!

There is actually one drawback: I think Direct Monitoring only works in mono on the Scarlett 2i2... So if you want to play with the Kemper's stereo effects, you'll have to go through your computer and route channel 1 and 2 left and right.