An OS without bug pleaz....

• This is utopical, but if Kemper were to test the OS 5 like automotive companies test embedded software, which is much simple, then they would have a release version every 2-4 years :) And maybe an outside team that had to go over each line of code the first team wrote and check it. And test every possible scenario, a difference being possibly made by just increasing one parameter of one "black box" (ex. stomp). And don't forget the hardware, each component would have to be tested, for each device build - 100% QS tests for everything. I'm much more happy to have frequent updates that work 99% percent of the time.

I am an engineer in the automotive market (Pretty senior one). Ever hear of module reflash? Automotive absolutely has bugs. plenty of them too. Do a search for "TSB REFLASH". and you will see plenty of firmware related bugs.

• Plain and simple: Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING is perfect. Software is built by humans, who are prone to error. You will never have a bug free app on your computer or phone. You will never have a bug free OS on your computer. And, considering the Kemper is essentially a specialized computer designed by humans, you will never have a bug free Kemper. Whether or not bugs are more or less present, or more or less present to you as an individual, alters your perception of quality.

The Kemper developers seek to build as bullet-proof of an operating system as they possibly can. However, they cannot see the future or test every single scenario a user may use their software or hardware. Some things just don't work as expected on seemingly identical hardware.

Heck, even with website development - a developed site may look great on Chrome, but have weird alignment issues on Safari. Or a different version of Chrome that has no changes to rendering may break a page. And that's easy stuff compared to the OS-level development of the Kemper's OS.

Don't like it and want to stay digital? Go to Helix. Go to AxeFX. But they all have bugs and problems. They get updates too. Because it's software built by imperfect humans.

Don't like that? Go get a tube amp. Then complain when the tubes die out prematurely because of a poorly built rectifier or short. Because it's hardware built by imperfect humans.

How about using analog pedals? They get shorts too, because we step on them. And mechanical parts have a lifespan as well. Because it's hardware built by imperfect humans.

Call it a bug or a defect or a short, analog equipment has their own "bugs" as well. If you're having a problem with the Kemper, how about reporting it instead of complaining about it? An unknown bug is one the Kemper team cannot fix. They can't read your mind, or your Kemper's configuration.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Does that mean that both Harry and I are also stuck with wives with bugs too? :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• issues can happen, but if we can reproduce them, they are usually fixed very fast.

That's true!
    After 30 years of software development I can say thats one of the important things.
    If a problem is reported and the programer can't reproduce it it's like to try catch it in the dust.
    For a customer thats hard to understand and of course he's expecting it works all without any problem.
    But you can save a lot of developers time.
    The ugliest bugs are the hidden ones. They come and go and no one knows when and why.

For me the kemper works very stable since 3.3
    Great work kemper team!

• After 30 years of software development I can say thats one of the important things.
    If a problem is reported and the programer can't reproduce it it's like to try catch it in the dust.

I second that. One thing you might have noticed is that the code is compiled with assertions enabled, the hard "green screen" is of course annoying, but it immediately tells us a lot about the problem. It helped us a lot making things more stable.

• I double that. One thing you might have noticed is that the code is compiled with assertions enabled, the hard "green screen" is of course annoying, but it immediately tells us a lot about the problem. It helped us a lot making things more stable.

Does that mean finally -without assertions - the Kemper will crunch numbers even faster? ;)

Maybe PETERFR was also talking about stuff like my first and only Kemper bug I came across. Just the Message "DSP Error, commuication failed" without further information from an assertion. Not that I agree it will be ignored, its just that those might be the tougher ones to be debugged, no?

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I second that. One thing you might have noticed is that the code is compiled with assertions enabled, the hard "green screen" is of course annoying, but it immediately tells us a lot about the problem. It helped us a lot making things more stable.

Just smart IMO.

All of our code is compiled and deployed in debug for that purpose as well. I also like that it gives me some breathing room in both size and speed if I ever need it (since compiling in "release" would free up resources if push came to shove in a pinch).

• @timo
    can you explain me how to do a back-up when the kemper doesn't want to do this?
    i make a try of the 4.2 release os and the back-up file contains only directories, but there are empty.... minor bug for a release??

it s not my usb stick: i can downgrade or update with this

now i m on 5.0.3 release and (i must test more than 10 min but...) with my headphone (i ll test spdif later), all the single module delay presets are a little bit more in the right than the left (it s ok with "stereo" set to 0 but not if you change this setting)

• I can not update my kemper too because of the still existing rectishaper bug that exists since 4.0 ... and after sending backup files that didn`t work and profiles and sound files that showed that there is still a major difference ...over and over again ... i gave up ... well i hope they work on it but they did not answer my last message

• @paults jup i know and i tried it, and it still sounds not the same ..i wrote the support team, sent them comparisons of the the same riff on 3.3 and 5.0.3 ... and the difference was very obvious ... after tat i sent the the affected profiles... and then they asked for backup files of my system and that is where i gave up because i did that so often by now ... i hope they work on in but yeah ... i have not much time when i`m at home in my studio and it is hard to find the time sometimes to reinstall everything ...

• ... i hope i do not sound unthankful ... the response of the support team is always fast and they try to help but i`m stuck with my problem here and it is a lot running in circles ...