Kemper and Acoustic Guitar

• Hey everybody,
    I am going to play an acoustic- set in the future and so I am thinking about "pimping" my dry acoustic sound by using the kemper.....
    but first, I have a few question that maybe someone can answer...
    1. Do I have to use a DI- Box for that?
    2. I know, it depends on personal taste but how would you configurate a profile?
    for example:
    --> front of amp: Guitar --> EQ --> comp --> chorus (clean amp without cab) --> pureboost (for solos) --> Delay --> reverb?
    Any suggestions? Any Profiles?
    The gig is on December 2nd and we have a lot to reahearse - so there´s is not that much time for tweaking and walking through 1000 profiles...I´m looking for "the out of the box - thing"

Would be raelly graet If someone helps me!
    Thanks a lot so far...

• Hi @Totter
    1) You don't need DI Box
    2) There are factory profiles suited for acoustic guitar called.... "Acoustic E" for example..
    The signal chain you presented seems to be OK, don't be afraid to experiment.
    If you have Rig Manager installed just search for "Acoustic" - plenty of profiles, so you cab find good one and start building your rig.

• Thanks for your quick answers...as I mentioned, Cabs will be off, of course ;)
    I searched through RM and found a lot...But I don´t have the time right now to check them via PA...so I´ll test them via Headphones first...
    Any suggestion of how to dial in a "basic" compressor?

• Thanks for your quick answers...as I mentioned, Cabs will be off, of course ;)
    I searched through RM and found a lot...But I don´t have the time right now to check them via PA...so I´ll test them via Headphones first...
    Any suggestion of how to dial in a "basic" compressor?

You might try using the Compressor setting in the AMP module as a start, assuming you want it there all the time. If the AMP compressor isn't right, then you can put one in the first STOMP and tweak from there. I don't play an acoustic, but for my electrics I typically use the following settings:
    Intensity - 5.5
    Attack - 6.4
    Squash - 1.3
    Mix - 37%
    Volume - 0.5

Of course, you can use morphing to accommodate a range of values.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I'd recommend loading some free acoustic IRs to use instead of a clean amp. I recently started playing around with acoustic IRs and was able to get great recorded sounds with my Taylor GS Mini pickup through an IR.

Here are some free ones to check out:

https://drive.google.com/file/…vH3j1ZkVoTFJLQ241WTg/view
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2q…Et-UVeLAhuvV4YwMY7Wa?dl=0

sounds quiete interesting- but I never did anything with IRs...what do I have to do to check this out?

• Hi @Totter, I profiled a Chandler Germanium preamp. In the chain I'm only using some EQ (studio equalizer, post stack) and some reverb. Cabs off (of coarse). Sounds really awesome !!
    Another option is to use your kemper as a DI so stack off and use your compressor and EQ (studio EQ) to get your sound right.
    I used my acoustics like this with really good results...But the Germanium adds a little flavour I have to admit :)

• I have found some acoustic profiles at RE .
    Also I have some professional Profiles from Rigbuster and Soundside.

From the RE personal I like and use Piezo Acoustic B with a simple Yamaha APX with a Piezo.

Piezo AER amd Piezo Fishman with Lowden wit L.R.Baggs.
    A good welldone Profile is also the Yamaha THR10 Aco from Kosta.
    Good Luck - The Kemper is great for Acoustic.

• WOW- I am impressed by your response ;)
    I will check the IRs, I think and also have a look at your ( @breu) chandler...
    @Sharry - I found a lot of cool rig in RE...recorded a quick tune and checked them all via headphones...so my 3 favourites at the moment are:
    fishman performer fromDorrus
    Paults clean fender from Eltzejupps NewDelays
    Fishman Loudbox by Navdeep_Singh

Have to check the all with a PA...But One of these (or the IRs / chandler) will be my go to sound ;)
    So...half way gone...thanks a lot to you all...I´m sure- further questions will follow ;)

• Hi @Totter - you have to download CabMaker utility for Windows or MAC - this tool allows you to convert IR files to Kemper's *.kipr cabinets.

Tried it out- but the cabmaker doesn´t transform the IRs into a kemper usable data:
    I open CABmaker, klick a IR- data and open the folder it should be saved to...an then I´m told:
    "1 file cannot be imported. 44.1kHz sampling rate with either 16 or 24 bits are required."

Where I my mistake/ what do I have to do to get this thing working?

• I use my Kemper for Accoustic guitar and Mandolin! it work perfect! I think I have used one of the factory presets Acoustic one, but turn of the cab, and fine tune EQ and boost. realy nice sound trough the DXR, and different PA`s

• You might also experiment with turning CAB off for acoustic playing.

Not only cab, but also amp-simulation may be switched off. Some acoustic amp profiles may sound good, but people have been plugging acoustic instruments via DI-boxes into mixing-consoles since the acoustic/electric guitar with piezo or cage-mic was invented. Most pickup-systems with or without onboard preamps that are mounted in acoustic instruments provide a signal that can be delivered directly to the Kemper. What the Profiler let you do is to take control of all that audio-processing for the instrument yourself instead of relying on the soundman to get it right. When you have something that sounds great in the Profiler, just hook it up to the mixer and tell the soundman to just let it through (no EQ etc). I find it convenient to use a headset when I'm dialling in acoustic-rigs because the sound from the guitar otherwise is coloring what I hear in the room.

I've just done a number of gigs with acoustics as backdrop for a vocal-group/choir and get lots of compliments on the sound. The new ambient delays are great for effects on certain songs and miles beyond anything a random soundman will be able to provide even with the most advanced of mixing consoles.

I use my profiler will all kinds of acoustic/electric string instruments from ukulele to upright bass. The only downside of applying all audio-processing in the profiler is that some ambient effects may make your instrument more prone to feedback with loud stage-monitors. You can not selectively apply delays and reverbs only to the FOH-mix the way it often is done in a mixing console.

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• So everyone- the gig is done and it was superb- sounding.
    Finally I used Dorrus fishman performer- sounded quite perfect.
    And I also found Morphing so useful to blend between a more rythm- focused sound an do boost it with a bit of delay, Reverb so on...
    so thanx a lot everyone- this fprum is such a great community of nice people with so much knowledge!
    I´m so glad to be here!!

• Tried it out- but the cabmaker doesn´t transform the IRs into a kemper usable data:I open CABmaker, klick a IR- data and open the folder it should be saved to...an then I´m told:
    "1 file cannot be imported. 44.1kHz sampling rate with either 16 or 24 bits are required."

Where I my mistake/ what do I have to do to get this thing working?

Did you find a solution to this error? I'm running into the same issue...