live setup

• I'm looking for a live setup for my kemper.
    I love my (passive) kemper on my studio monitors.
    I tried rigging it to an ac15 with cab sim off, and wasn't all happy.
    Also tried an aer acoustic amp with cab on...also not 100% happy.
    Both pretty decent..but not heaven :)

Options I see:
    Buy 2 active frfr monitors, that would give me 1 rig for both acoustic and electric.
    My concern is that frfr can get harsh in the highs at high volume. Also you add another color to the chain.(even though frfrf should not, they all do)
    Anyone experience with this way? Any speakers recommended?

Option 2..get me a camplifier and 2 guitar speakers.
    Anyone experienced with the camplifier?

• I'd give the DXR10's (FRFR) a try. I experimented with altos, rcfs and Behringers and ended with the Yamaha's.

Though you are right: you cannot use the same profile through the FRFRs -with the same result- when you Need extreme different stage-volumes. So therefore you have to store different Output-EQ-Presets for the different volume-situations. (Google: Fletcher-Munson-Effect)

The only Problem is, that the Output-presets can't store the volume-Settings of the Output-section.

I posted this in "Feature request" because it would be a huge improvement for the live-user.

• Thnx for your replies.
    Reading this...and the other threads i found on this, i came to the conclusion that atm i cant put my confidence in an frfr solution.

Frfr seems to always come with eqing and altering the profiles u use for recording (to complicated)
    Always a compromis to the "amp in the room" feel, which is logical because "the mic" is in the output of the kemper...no speaker is gonna remove that :)
    I havent seen any "joehoe im in guitarstagesoundheaven" from ppl using frfr.
    all stages monitors i encountered in my lifetime get nasty highs when powered up.
    So frfr for now out of scope.

I fooled around with my ac15 some more, found the separate eq at the monitor out, and got results where at least all my profiles sound good. A little different, but natural and balanced, keeping the "soul" of what i hear on my studio monitors. Downside is that i have to cut the highs quit drasticly, the vox has an appetite for precense. I prefer avoiding eqing, so im considering building a return loop in the amp. (Idnk if the pre...or the power amp is the high booster in that amp)

Also im looking for experiences with a solidstate combo, maybe a Roland jazz chorus with celestions.
    Those poweramps are pretty neutral, and with the "cabinet" off should represent the pre and power amp of the profile. Also it would give me stereo, easy set up, and comfortable pricing.
    Anyone tried this?

• You missed another option, rack mount or stand alone amp like Matrix GT800FX or GT100FX and a passive FRFR, guitar cab, or flatter response guitar cab.

I don't have to do much more EQing when I run my KPA through my Matrix into my Atomic CLR thatn would be necessary for an amp (to adjust to the room and needed volume levels). Actually, less.

• Well-designed FRFR does not sound any more harsh at volume than your studio monitors sound at the volume they were designed to produce. If that wasn't true, the FOH sound would be harsh, vocal monitors would be harsh, etc.

I previously used a Bose L1 with one subwoofer for my KPA for most gigs, and used a DXR10 for smaller venues. I was feeling lazy one day, and took the Yamaha to an outdoor show, i quickly discovered the DXR10 was just as capable as the Bose at gig volume, even on festival size stages.

I suggest trying some of the commonly recommend FRFR cabs at a store with your KPA.

If you don't like them, try the Roland amp. But, It is likely to hit you at the knees, and make all rigs sound similar.

If your preferred sounds are open back combo amps, that may be a good thing.

If your preferred sounds are higher gain amps, or amps typically used with sealed back cabinets, I suggest trying the Roland before you buy, or get it from somewhere with a liberal return policy.

• I have the non powered kemper, and that was the main reason i bought it. Playing trough a yamaha DXR. I dont play very loud on stage because in my band we are using in ear monitors. I reel the DXR and Senheizer in ear is the perfect balance in live settings. Same rig with either electrics, Acoustic, or el. Mandolin. Together with the remote its easy and simple, and the main reason i bought Kemper its because it is so little to carry

[Blocked Image: http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/mortyblack/IMG_3127_zpshezx4ik3.jpg]

• Normally I use in-ear monitors, if I don't, I use a powered floor wedge (a cheap Kustom).It is fed from the same aux send I use for my in-ears. This way I kill 2 birds with 1 stone - I put the vocals through it as well like I do with my IEM's.

• I tried the dxr today...also other frfr..they are defenitely not gonna work for me.
    I also tried solidstate combo's, to my ears all with very good results.
    Remarkably a cheap ass Boss kantana was my favorite, but the Roland jc also sounded very good.

• I tried the dxr today...also other frfr..they are defenitely not gonna work for me.
    I also tried solidstate combo's, to my ears all with very good results.
    Remarkably a cheap ass Boss kantana was my favorite, but the Roland jc also sounded very good.

Have to ask, where were the FRFR speakers/ I ask, because if you went to a GC, they were likely on a shelf or a pole, and most assuredly set (crossover, and other tweaks) for NOT guitar.

And, the amps were most likely on the floor.

Positions like that WILL color what you hear.

• My experience with the ZLX-12P's has been experiment with the situation of the environment to tune your rig. Using a pair in stereo standing on end spread out 12 feet apart or 6 inches apart can sound very nice. Lay them down in a V pointed at your skull or off to the side to give the band some of it in a small club works well. If the low end gets stupid put them on poles at the height of where a stacked 4X12 would be. These speakers are internally tune-able for the floor, poles, and against the wall like in a bracket mount. I treat them like studio monitors so the sound engineer pretty much gets what Muddy's up too. If you ever worry to much about how cool your rig looks on stage, you just better worry about dancing your ass off. Be Safe