Rig Manager on Linux

• Wine can't run the Rig Manager because it needs the Kemper USB driver. And that doesn't work under Linux. So the only choice you have is to use a VM with Windows. That's what I use.

Technically the Rig Manager should run just fine under Linux as it's based almost entirely on technologies with Linux origin (Mono and many other open source libraries). It's just compiled in a way so that it will only run on Windows or MacOS.

That's the downside of open source. Companies can take code and technologies as they like without having to give anything back to the community. As a result the people who have actually created a huge part of the software will never have the chance to use it without jumping through hoops.

• Technically the Rig Manager should run just fine under Linux as it's based almost entirely on technologies with Linux origin (Mono and many other open source libraries). It's just compiled in a way so that it will only run on Windows or MacOS.

that's not correct

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Some ask for an editor.
    I think that my request is much more humble.
    It there any plans to have Rig Manager running on Linux?

I strongly support that request! I think it's easier to do than an editor.
    Only thing that stops me from installing Linux is lack of Rig Manager for my Kemper for that OS.
    I don't want to install Windows VM on Linux, because it would require me to have Windows license after all, what doesn't make sense.

• +1 Is a sensfull request ,I have checked Michaels Link.
    There are free Versions for Linux and a supported Version for € 49,??

Do you mean CrossOver application @Sharry? It seems like WineHQ developers offer this product with more focus and support (maybe for somebody that is not fluent with Linux configuration).

• Do you mean CrossOver application @Sharry? It seems like WineHQ developers offer this product with more focus and support (maybe for somebody that is not fluent with Linux configuration).

CrossOver is a more user-firendly version of Wine - in actuality, it's all Wine underneath the hood, but made by different people who used the code from Wine.

• i'd appreciate if you'd check before you post. this way you can avoid putting out rumours nobody benefits from.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't know where I've got that Mono info from as the at least the windows binary seems to be native. But looking at the provided SQLite databases, resource files, OSX OS system dependencies and so on I will leave the rest of my comment intact.

• I don't want to use Windows in a VM as well. I use an old MacBook today, but soon it won't work anymore and I don't think that it is worth to buy another one. After 6 years using a Mac and some months testing Ubuntu, I don't fell like returning to Windows for now.

Even if Wine would work, it is well known that is not everything that runs smoothly.

I don't understand anything about programming, and have no idea about how much work would it be, but I suppose that wouldn't be that difficult to make a native Rig Manager for Linux...

• Wine can't run the Rig Manager because it needs the Kemper USB driver. And that doesn't work under Linux. So the only choice you have is to use a VM with Windows. That's what I use.

Technically the Rig Manager should run just fine under Linux as it's based almost entirely on technologies with Linux origin (Mono and many other open source libraries). It's just compiled in a way so that it will only run on Windows or MacOS.

That's the downside of open source. Companies can take code and technologies as they like without having to give anything back to the community. As a result the people who have actually created a huge part of the software will never have the chance to use it without jumping through hoops.

No, Rig Manager will not run under Linux by just recompiling it. I have no idea what you think you saw in the resources, but SQLite is actually the only public domain library that is used by Rig Manager. The UI, which takes up ca. 30% of the code, is completely native on both platforms. I'm not a Linux developer, so I can't tell how hard it is to port managed code (for Windows Forms) or Objective-C (for Cocoa) to a Linux app, but I don't believe it is that easy.
    BTW, SQLite is mainly developed by paid full-time developers, so there is not really a community that we can give anything back to. Instead, we are giving Rig Manager to the Kemper community for free.

• No, Rig Manager will not run under Linux by just recompiling it. I have no idea what you think you saw in the resources, but SQLite is actually the only public domain library that is used by Rig Manager. The UI, which takes up ca. 30% of the code, is completely native on both platforms. I'm not a Linux developer, so I can't tell how hard it is to port managed code (for Windows Forms) or Objective-C (for Cocoa) to a Linux app, but I don't believe it is that easy.
    BTW, SQLite is mainly developed by paid full-time developers, so there is not really a community that we can give anything back to. Instead, we are giving Rig Manager to the Kemper community for free.

What about the dxd - dynax driver framework? It claims also do be open source.

• Rig Manager does not use the dxd directly. It just comes with the driver that has been developed by dynax for the Profiler, using their own open source library. And of course we paid for it.

• Some ask for an editor.
    I think that my request is much more humble.
    It there any plans to have Rig Manager running on Linux?

Whether it can be ported to linux or not depend on which tools are used in development. It may be as simple as recompilation, but it may just as well require a complete re-write. Unfortunately there is also some non-standard USB-enhancements involved that make things a little more complex. Even on OS X (mac) which is based on a BSD unix-variant there is a driver involved that require reboot of the machine to activate the kernel-module when rig-manager has been installed or upgraded. USB-implementations on Unix are generally very transparent and provide with lots of room for user-space applications to communicate directly with devices. A OS-kernel should only have to implement the formal USB-standards. The requirements for device-specific drivers indicate that the developers either are pushing the limits or that the process is influenced by standards-breaking developer cultures such as the one promoted through MS products. MS products routinely break formal standards for no apparent reason other than what seems like attempts to lock people up in their own walled garden. Some earlier betas of the KPA have exposed parts of the network protocol-stack in the device that looked very much like a windows NT-stack, or one that is strongly influenced thereof.

WINE (windows emulator) has been mentioned, but it doesn't support proprietary USB-drivers. A virtual machine such as for example WmWare may work better. Virtual machines will run a full windows-install and even offer some support for proprietary device drivers.

• +1

I'd also like to have more software available for Linux, including the Kemper Rig Manager in special! I'd just got Toontracks SD3 running with wrapper and stuff but the Rig Manager can't be installed with wine. I'd need a whole VM just for the rig manager ... X/