SPDIF recording issues

• Hi guys. New Kemper user as well as new to this forum :)

I've enjoyed my Kemper for about 2 weeks now, and I now want to start recording with SPDIF. For some reason this is however not working for me. I get no sound what so ever on the recorded tracks. I use Mbox and Reaper.

My Kemper is connected from the 2 SPDIF in/outs to the SPDIF in/outs on the sound card. The SPDIF volume in the output section of the Kemper is currently set to -9dB but I have tried pushing the volume in both directions in vain. In Reaper inputs have been set to SPDIF http://screencast.com/t/pqPjwFxfjy. The Mbox settings for SPDIF are like this http://screencast.com/t/VK73ZZIJoG4. If I try to record the Kemper signal via the input of the Mbox I have no problems. But as soon as I switch to SPDIF mode nothing is recorded. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

• Is Profiler spdif out connected to Mbox spdif in and vice versa? Is Mbox set to spdif slave?

Yes - out connected to in and vice versa :) I am however not sure if Mbox is set to slave. It's nothing I have actively done and I cannot seem to find a preset for that. Can you explain where I do this?

• If you click on the Output button in the front panel of the Kemper, you can navigate to the SPDIF and see what signal is supposed to be going out of the SPDIF. It should be Master stereo if you want to use it for recording. Now go to the option of the audio interface (MBOX) and make sure that the session includes the SPDIF in.

looking at the picture you attached I see the volume knob (virtual) under 3 and 4 inputs (for SPDIF) is set to minimum, not sure if this volume rotary is an input trim that needs to be turned up to get sound in the audio interface!!

Keep in mind that the session or whatever MBX call it possibly template is set to 44.1KHZ as Kemper uses 44.1KHZ for SPDIF. IF you can't find the option, setting MBOX SPDIF to slave will insure it operates according to KPA sample rate at 44.1. Watch in the MBX Mixer for 3 and 4 as you play the Kemper and see if the meters do their thing to indicate they're fed and audio signal. If the meters don't dance, double check the connections.

• Is that the SPDIF Out LInk option that need to e checked in the Output section?

No - not the link - page 1 of the Output Section - is the SPDIF Output set to anything rather than off? From no shortage of personal experience its sometimes the simplest explanation! :D

• If you click on the Output button in the front panel of the Kemper, you can navigate to the SPDIF and see what signal is supposed to be going out of the SPDIF. It should be Master stereo if you want to use it for recording. Now go to the option of the audio interface (MBOX) and make sure that the session includes the SPDIF in.

looking at the picture you attached I see the volume knob (virtual) under 3 and 4 inputs (for SPDIF) is set to minimum, not sure if this volume rotary is an input trim that needs to be turned up to get sound in the audio interface!!

Keep in mind that the session or whatever MBX call it possibly template is set to 44.1KHZ as Kemper uses 44.1KHZ for SPDIF. IF you can't find the option, setting MBOX SPDIF to slave will insure it operates according to KPA sample rate at 44.1. Watch in the MBX Mixer for 3 and 4 as you play the Kemper and see if the meters do their thing to indicate they're fed and audio signal. If the meters don't dance, double check the connections.

Actually changing the Mbox settings to this http://screencast.com/t/pxXYIGKP4 made it work! So thanks so far, guys :) For some reason the SPDIF track http://screencast.com/t/JY1DW5cjJqF (the bottom) one is recorded quite a bit lower than the tracks recorded directly through the input. I wonder why...

EDIT: The reason was of course that the SPDIF volume on the Kemper was set too low. Now everything works intended. Thanks everyone for help!

Edited 2 times, last by fclund: Prolem solved ().