RME Babyface Pro price - worth it?

• Guys,

I'm sorry in advance if it's a not right place to write.

I've got a really good deal to buy RME Babyface Pro - 25% off (less then $600). Brand new from one of the biggest retailers here in the US.
    I'm planing to use it with my Kemper.

One thing I have a concern is that RME doesn't have SPDIF. Well, technically it has, but ADAT. Don't want to hassle with some converters.
    Beside of that, no complains at all: low latency, extremely stable OS/Windows drivers, TotalMix etc
    And PRICE - 25% off.

What do you think guys? Anyone has an experience with this audio interface?

Thank you all!

• I think if you don't need analog inputs then any RME soundcard is overkill. If you are interested in spdif only then any soundcard with spdif will be sufficient. I use cheap Roland Quad Capture (and M-Audio Fast Track before) and it works as expected.

Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
    Laurence J. Peter

Edited once, last by chromos: typo ().

• I had the LadyFace (don't ask) and thought it had a nice look (very pink) and the worst mix software I've come across.
    RME has a great reputation for "best drivers" meaning ones that give rare problems, but that is a thing of the past (pre-2010?) on Windows PCs.

For that price range, there are literally half a dozen competitors that are as good AD/DA with better mixers that I've had:

RME Babyface/Ladyface:
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - Sturdily built Hardware
    - No SPDIF
    - TotalMix software confusing and difficult to use
    - Memorable? Hate software, loved the look

Audient iD22:
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - Mix App easy to use
    - Memorable? Liked everything.

Focusrite Saffire (various models):
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - MixControl software a bit confusing to use
    - Memorable? Inexpensive, didn't like the software.

Focusrite Clarett:
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - Focusrite Control software is very easy to use
    - Memorable? What's not to love other than it takes up a precious Thunderbolt port?

Apogee Duet:
    - Mac only.
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - Cheaply built Hardware
    - No SPDIF
    - Mix App medium level to use
    - Memorable? Cheap, cheap, cheap hardware. Will break apart in your backpack if you aren't careful.

Universal Audio Apollo Twin
    - Easy to use Hardware
    - Console software medium level to use, but UAD software split across 2 apps and not intuitive to use, takes some learning.
    - Memorable? Expensive hardware (should cost $500) and very expensive plugins, even with a sale. On a secondary studio laptop, you have to have hardware DSP "dongle" to use them or hump your Apollo Twin around with you. I hate having to lug around a huge chunk of metal, requiring a connection to a receptacle, just to use my plugins.

I think Audient has the best AD/DA If I had to pick a "best".

Those not listed I didn't own. Bottom line, you'll love the look and sound of the Babyface, but you'll have to spend some time seriously learning how to handle it's TotalMix software to make it a keeper.

• I have a Fireface and Totalmix isn't as difficult to control as you make it out to be. One really cool feature is that you can internally route an output signal being received by the device to another input (for example, let's say you want to record the click).

RME hardware is also great. Been using the Fireface 800 since 2007 with no problems (touch wood). Regular firmware updates are welcome and it's great that you can use it on a Mac or a PC.

• I have a Fireface and Totalmix isn't as difficult to control as you make it out to be. One really cool feature is that you can internally route an output signal being received by the device to another input (for example, let's say you want to record the click).

Or record any sound played on your computer...media players, the internet, or wherever. Very useful.

RME's Totalmix (FX) is a piece of cake, once you get the hang of it And having those hardware FX is invaluable for monitoring vocals.

Too bad the Babyface Pro doesn't have coaxial spdif though...

• @db9091 wow! Thanks a lot for all the info!
    I'm surprised about you experience with TotalMix. Everything what I've found in internet and as @nightlight and @Trazan said TotalMix is very intuitive and convenient piece of software. Well, we are all different.

@Trazan - yes, lack of coax SPDIF is my concern.

What do you guys think about some kind of converters?
    For example:
    Midiman M-Audio C02 Coaxial/Optical Bi-Directional Converter ($100)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offe…mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

My concern is buying a cheap converter box to use with two high quality interfaces as Kemper and RME. But digital connection might be a standard?! I don't know really.

• I have the non-pro babyface version. I use the analog path and it sounds pretty darn good imho. It's a solid unit and nice and portable. The bag it comes in fits nicely inside on the top of my Kemper if I have to take it somewhere.

• Great write-up, db!