Thinking about selling the Kemper

• for example some mbritt that sound so distant/covered by a blanket and full of low mids that i can't imagine how they are useful/playable, unless i miss some technique to make them shine (any advice on this point is appreciated).

I agree with you here. Compared to a lot of other profiles the MBritt ones are quite dark and they don't work well (with a few notable exceptions) for me in the studio, BUT, live and in rehersal they kick ass. They have a weight and punch that very few others have. I have profiles from pretty much every commercial profiler there is but I still use my old trusty Britt profiles live.

• Hi,
    maby the Waves-Plugin "NX Virtual Mix Room over Headphones" is a way to get some realistic room-feeling in your Headphones? All I heard about this plugin is that it must be awesome!

You have to use a plugin-host and you have to check if there´s too much latency...

Didn´t try it, it´s just a thought.
    (A friend of mine tried this plugin for mixing and finaly got up form his chair and forgot, that he was still wearing his headphones. Cable broke..)

Martin

• Wow thanks for the link, those EVH profiles are really good. ACtually I just downloaded 168 profiles that I didn't have before from this link and the blackmores , savage, Diezel etc are all good and useable. there are too many good profiles out there, it's like getting an update everyday. IF there's a problem from my end is too much of a good thing.

No problem, man. I actually found out about Jevo on this forum as some of the best high gain stuff out there (at least at the time), and they're free. Happy to pay it forward, especially since this forum has been an endless well of information that has helped me understand plenty of things and make decent decisions on buys and where to look.

The EVH III might be the best high gain profile I've found in terms of total tone. A lot of gainy profiles are a bit thinner, but that does work better in the mix from the get-go. I guess I'm just a sucker for a fat, beefy guitar tone even if it's somewhat impractical. I also like that he gives the head DI without a cab sim in the event you use other cab speakers. At least I assume. I thought his other tones sounded great, but the EVH III really shined. I even had the guys in my band listen to several profiles I liked and they each chose the Jevo 5150 III. No objection here ;).

• Yup, he's not the first to do this, Martin!

I've kept my eye on the plug since its first release. Waiting for it to be offered for $29, but 'til now the specials always seem to be $49, including Black Friday.

I think for Ale's purposes, that latency will be an issue, unless he can bear muting everything in a project and reducing the DAW's buffer to 64 samples or less.

• If you're patient, it'll come, I reckon. I have a feel for these things, and I predict it'll bottom out at $29.

Martin, make sure you remember you're wearing the 'phones, eh mate? :D

I'm lucky - mine hurt like Hell to wear, so the plug'd have to be pretty damned good to make me forget I'm wearing 'em.

• Guys, i think i am off the crisis with my kpa. I found some great high gain that sound spectacular with my new les paul cranking the headphone space. Thank you all. Now, i was considering a cab...i would like to play a regular cabinet like a 1x12 marshal with a magnum or similar as power amp. I would like that amp in the room. The problem is the volume i can get to have fun. I can hardly do it with one 5 inch yamaha monitor so i don't know if a 1x12 is an improvement or not in terms of apartment volume/ fun or not. What do you think?

• In an apartment, you are going to have volume problems with any cab IMO. The bigger the cab and the more punch it has at the bottom, the worse the issue will be.

Low frequencies will penetrate through walls even at low volume.

I am glad that you have found good tone in your Kemper!

• Guys, i think i am off the crisis with my kpa. I found some great high gain that sound spectacular with my new les paul cranking the headphone space. Thank you all. Now, i was considering a cab...i would like to play a regular cabinet like a 1x12 marshal with a magnum or similar as power amp. I would like that amp in the room. The problem is the volume i can get to have fun. I can hardly do it with one 5 inch yamaha monitor so i don't know if a 1x12 is an improvement or not in terms of apartment volume/ fun or not. What do you think?

At home I have 2 yamaha HS 5 studio monitors. I sit in the sweat spot (triangle equal sides) and I really enjoy the sound. For the Yamaha speakers I have the switch in the back engaged to roll the highs, I can hear every nuance of the amp profiles and the beauty of this setup is for recording it's identical to what I play and enjoy everyday.

• Regarding the headphone issue, I run my headphones into a Mackie Big Knob, which is connected to a Saffire PRO. I did try connecting my headphones directly to the headphone jack on the Kemper a couple of times and didn't like what I heard... at all. In fact, it was somewhat fatiguing to listen to. I noticed a big difference between using the headphone jack on the Mackie and running direct into the Kemper.

• Regarding the headphone issue, I run my headphones into a Mackie Big Knob, which is connected to a Saffire PRO. I did try connecting my headphones directly to the headphone jack on the Kemper a couple of times and didn't like what I heard... at all. In fact, it was somewhat fatiguing to listen to. I noticed a big difference between using the headphone jack on the Mackie and running direct into the Kemper.

Hello ColdFrixiion,

How exactly are each component connected? What output are you using on the KPA? For example, are you using the KPA Main Output XLR into your Saffire Pro? How does the Mackie Big Knob fit into the chain?

Thanks in advance, and cheers,
    John

• Guys, i think i am off the crisis with my kpa. I found some great high gain that sound spectacular with my new les paul cranking the headphone space.

Great to hear. Which profile(s) are you happy with?

• An heartbreaker from choptones, a couple of reampzone jvm and i havw to try a few others sent me from a couple of guys of this fantastic comunity. The profiles are all slightly modded and sound really good with my new les paul!

• An heartbreaker from choptones, a couple of reampzone jvm and i havw to try a few others sent me from a couple of guys of this fantastic comunity. The profiles are all slightly modded and sound really good with my new les paul!

Happy to hear that @Ale. I'm sure you'll get where you want with help of the community.

• Hello ColdFrixiion,

How exactly are each component connected? What output are you using on the KPA? For example, are you using the KPA Main Output XLR into your Saffire Pro? How does the Mackie Big Knob fit into the chain?

Thanks in advance, and cheers,
    John

I'm running the Kemper into the loop of an Axe FX II using 4CM. I run the Main Outputs (TRS) from the Kemper into the FX Return on the Axe, then from the Main Outputs of the Axe (XLR) into two inputs on the Saffire. The outputs of the Saffire Pro are connected via TRS cables to a couple of inputs on the Mackie Big Knob.

I've also used the headphone jack on the Saffire Pro and couldn't detect any qualitative differences between it and the Mackie.