Thinking about selling the Kemper

• In the Tiny place i have my Gemini 2 Stereo FRFRF 2X12 i can still get a big amp sound in the room with a small volume (if that makes sense)
    The Gemini 2 Stereo FRFR 's level is right down, it can still be a big sound for me but not loud ..MAYBE because of the Stereo I am not sure but it makes a difference.... i know that much (big amp in the room sound )

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• In the Tiny place i have my Gemini 2 Stereo FRFRF 2X12 i can still get a big amp sound in the room with a small volume (if that makes sense)
    The Gemini 2 Stereo FRFR 's level is right down, it can still be a big sound for me but not loud ..MAYBE because of the Stereo I am not sure but it makes a difference.... i know that much (big amp in the room sound )

Ash

Stereo does have the effect of making sound "bigger". I also think that something in the way we hear and process sound makes stereo "pop out" to us at a lower volume.... but I can't prove it with data .... just a theory :)

• and what about the power engine tech 21? i don't understand if it's a frfr or a traditional cabinet. In the latter, i could disable the cab sim

It's a traditional cab with a guitar speaker (Celestion 70/80).
    Of course you could disable the cab sim.

• i think i will go for the caliber 22 and a 1x12 closed cab. I am 90% sure i won't get what i am looking for since i won't be able to turn up the volume enough to move the speaker but i want to try it anyway..

• i own a pair of yamaha hs5. I don't know if it's the low volume or the 5 inch but i don't like them

I have the same thing as you pair of HS5, I set the -2db high cut switch on and I have the volume at least at 5 and they're nice and loud also very accurate, Love them! AT low volume nothing sounds good for guitar.

• i own a pair of yamaha hs5. I don't know if it's the low volume or the 5 inch but i don't like them

It might be the HS5's. It could also be your room. We're both using nearfield monitors, but room acoustics can definitely color the sound. If your HS5's are up against a wall, you'll likely get heavy bass reflections which can cause problems. I'm not using HS5's but that applies to all monitors. My monitors are about 3 feet from the rear wall and 5 feet from the side walls. Nevertheless, assuming you don't have a lot of furniture in your room or there's a lot of reflective surfaces for sound to bounce off of, what you're hearing could be the result of comb filtering and other stuff. That's why a lot of people (me included) treat their room with acoustic foam; it helps to eliminate the sound being reflected back into your ears, which is what causes most of the coloration. The best speakers in the world won't make up for shitty room acoustics.

Of course, it's possible you just don't like the sound of the HS5's.

I have the same thing as you pair of HS5, I set the -2db high cut switch on and I have the volume at least at 5 and they're nice and loud also very accurate, Love them! AT low volume nothing sounds good for guitar.

I don't know about that. I run my Mackies at very moderate volumes and it sounds great. But then, my room is treated and my monitors are positioned appropriately.

• Of course, it's possible you just don't like the sound of the HS5's.

I don't know about that. I run my Mackies at very moderate volumes and it sounds great. But then, my room is treated and my monitors are positioned appropriately.

I have accoustic panels at the wall behind the speakers and bass traps in the corners, but at low volume, it's very hard to really enjoy electric guitar, I'm not talking about cranking but some decent volume is essential from my experience and of course it could be just a personal thing, but I did all the room treatment so I don't have to deal with headphones.

• I have accoustic panels at the wall behind the speakers and bass traps in the corners, but at low volume, it's very hard to really enjoy electric guitar, I'm not talking about cranking but some decent volume is essential from my experience and of course it could be just a personal thing, but I did all the room treatment so I don't have to deal with headphones.

It's probably a personal thing then. The Kemper through the Mackies sounds quite good on this end.

• Two notes:

Near fields are made for sitting right in front of them, very close distance. Thats a great idea when mixing, and this way the room gets way less important. On the other hand - at least to me - its not very practical to sit in that sweetspot, so close, with a guitar and performing heroe tunes... and as soon as you move further away their response isnt as perfect and the room comes into play more and more (see ColdFrixion: room treatment - above).

Secondly: Fletcher Munson + physical feedback. *Anything* sounds better when played loud. In addition: the moving air hits the guitar body and induces feedback, which is increasing the sustain of the guitar and changing the overall tonal spectrum. If too much then we will hear that squeaky sound, which one might like or not. But the more pleasant and subtle effect of feedback starts way earlier, more so with a hollowbody, less but still there with a solid body. This might well be the #1 reason why headphones and/or cabs or monitors at lowest volume dont do the real thing.

Ne travaillez jamais.

you need a sub for low volume, it will fill it out nicely. Nothing big, no need to crank it, just to add that low end that goes missing when you are not playing loud. It made a huge difference with my experience at home.

• Two notes:

Near fields are made for sitting right in front of them, very close distance. Thats a great idea when mixing, and this way the room gets way less important. On the other hand - at least to me - its not very practical to sit in that sweetspot, so close, with a guitar and performing heroe tunes... and as soon as you move further away their response isnt as perfect and the room comes into play more and more (see ColdFrixion: room treatment - above).

Secondly: Fletcher Munson + physical feedback. *Anything* sounds better when played loud. In addition: the moving air hits the guitar body and induces feedback, which is increasing the sustain of the guitar and changing the overall tonal spectrum. If too much then we will hear that squeaky sound, which one might like or not. But the more pleasant and subtle effect of feedback starts way earlier, more so with a hollowbody, less but still there with a solid body. This might well be the #1 reason why headphones and/or cabs or monitors at lowest volume dont do the real thing.

you need a sub for low volume, it will fill it out nicely. Nothing big, no need to crank it, just to add that low end that goes missing when you are not playing loud. It made a huge difference with my experience at home.

why i use monitors with a wider firld like my jbl lsr monitors. And yes, a STUDIO sub woofer can really help in super low vol

• I get hit with G.A.S from time to time. Recently, I thought about getting a Fender Bassbreaker, the 15 watt 1x12 one. (And to clarify, I'd need to sell my Kemper to get a real amp) It takes pedals well and I could go back to a traditional pedalboard. But as I thought about it, I realized that I'd be keeping this thing in a closet anyhow (as I play exclusively at church these days) thus live I'd only hear it through my IEM's anyway. And were I to love the sound of this amp so much, I could find a profile of it or create one myself and get the exact same thing, or use someone else's profile. If I wanted to achieve my sound primarily through this cleanish amp, there's nothing preventing me from doing so with Overdrive pedals into a Kemper profile. However, I wouldn't have to worry about tubes and mic positions. And I would inevitably reach a point where I'd believe that there is some sound out there that would be better. At least with the Kemper, every time I change me mind, I can go profile shopping for cheap at a store (mbritt or the amp factory being my favorites) or at Goodwill (rig exchange)