Home Setup / Minimum setup

• Hi,
    I have just ordered a KPA, and have been looking for what other users have as a minimum setup e.g at home.
    I really don't want to drag the mixer/PA home every night, and have been looking into buying some active monitors/speakers. I also have a few combo amps at home, and guess I could use those. Any good suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Lars
    (why is the mail so sloooow)

• If you're looking at studio monitors (btw, the best for home use, IMHO) then I cannot reccomend enough the iKey Audio M808 v2, 300-ish € for the pair and a fantastic sound. Very easy to tune them for the room as well and they translate fairly well to PA systems

If you already have combos and plan using them als live with the KPA that is also fine (amp in the room feel!), just switch off the cab from the KPA and run it in to the FX-loop.

3rd possibility is to get a dedicated FRFR box for home use (FBT 8ma could be a good one at home).

My choice? I have the iKey monitors in front of me...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• do yourself a favor, buy a good pair of monitor like Adam A7X or somethong that please your ears. It will be also great to listen music...

• Garsh! I have the Adam's A7X's, thought they were the solution for my AxeII, Nope! Nadda! I need the power, girth and air of my 4x12!

....I've already problems if I turn my monitors to loud... ;( I assume your neighbours are not too near...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Nothing replace the air pressure of a real cab for sure... amp in room sounds means also guitar cab in room. For this, i'm pretty happy of the Matrix + Bogner oversized 2X12. Lightweigt poweramp, but huge power.
    But in this case, the wife, neighbour agreement parameter isn't optional :D

• I went out to hear some monitors up to 1000€ / pair and ended up coming home with a set of cheap KRK Rokit RP5 G2 for 300€ / pair. I liked them most when playing guitar with the KPA using those. Also checked the Adam A7x. Sound really good, but it was not worth so much money for me. I actually prefered the KRK. But I'm only talking about guitar playing, not about reference mixing etc.... Best thing you can do: Go to a store and listen to some, but bring your KPA and a guitar.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• exactly, i've bought the Adam for mixing and monitoring, and judges them playing various music, not especially guitare stuff, the priority was to find good and very precise(definition) monitors.
    You need to try several different units, because, event if they are all supposed to be neutral and have flat respons, you will notice that they all have their personnality and sometimes quite different sound fingerprint !

• I use a pair of event 20/20 for mixing stuff. Sounds pretty good with the KPA too. Of course it lacks the Midrange of low end chunk of my 4 x 12s. So i send the monitor output with no cabs to my tube poweramp into a 4 x 12 and slightly blend it with the events, just as a subwoofer you might say. Sounds absolutely great.

• Thanks for all the input.

I think I will end up with buying a couple of A7X or similar to keep the family and neighbors happy, and have my tubeamp in backup for the few times when I can really blow some steam. Again, thanks for all your inputs.
    Lars

Edited once, last by Lars ().