Best drum software?

• Former Slate user here that got tired of waiting for SSD5 and ended up switching over to Addictive Drums 2.

... and your verdict?

Processed: Slate. KPA plus Slate plus Izotope Neutron/Ozone... While I still like creating my own sounds, I don't really do this for guitars, drums and bass (Trillian) anymore. These sounds are real and mixready for all genres. A huge time safer. Time I use for fiddling with synth plugins now to make shure not to finish another song .

Thank you for this feedback, 'Loogie. Much appreciated man.

Superior Drummer is good, I have the Metal Foundry SDX which is good for metal and I'm really gassing for the prog foundry SDX, which sounds like it would work well with a new project I am in.

Incredibly, I did some recording at Seed back in the '90s, which is where the pack was made, AJ. Small studio in South Melbourne, and one nobody I knew back then had even heard of.

Get some Melbourne tones into ya bro'! :D

• sweetwater has EZD 2 for $150, and it comes with your choice of EZX for free. Additional EZX are $40 right now. Grabbed it with "Metal Machine" and "Metal!" packs. Really liking Metal! right now.

I've messed with SD, and it's good if you want to spend time and get a quality, unique sound. If you want simple and quick, it may be frustrating. It was for me, but it's because I know I didn't put enough time into it.

XLN AD2 I also messed with, and while it seemed good listening to just the drums, I could never make it work in a mix. Again, I'm sure smarter heads would prevail.

• sweetwater has EZD 2 for $150, and it comes with your choice of EZX for free. Additional EZX are $40 right now. Grabbed it with "Metal Machine" and "Metal!" packs. Really liking Metal! right now.

I've messed with SD, and it's good if you want to spend time and get a quality, unique sound. If you want simple and quick, it may be frustrating. It was for me, but it's because I know I didn't put enough time into it.

XLN AD2 I also messed with, and while it seemed good listening to just the drums, I could never make it work in a mix. Again, I'm sure smarter heads would prevail.

Don't buy EZD2! You can get Superior Drummer for 148 euros at their web store! Pretty sure it'll be the same price in USD. And the Metal Foundry is about $75. Much better quality samples than EZD2, which is why I'd opt for it.

The only plus about EZD2 is the midi browser, one reason I'm thinking about getting it. But if you're going to programme your own drums, no need to bother with the programme.

• For anyone who does not want to always program beats, EZD2 has much more than just a MIDI browser - it can do things like locate the beats in your library that match a kick drum pattern that you play into it, and you can drop a pattern into its song generator, and it will create a drum part for the song structure you select, complete with choices for fills, etc.

• For anyone who does not want to always program beats, EZD2 has much more than just a MIDI browser - it can do things like locate the beats in your library that match a kick drum pattern that you play into it, and you can drop a pattern into its song generator, and it will create a drum part for the song structure you select, complete with choices for fills, etc.

This.
    Plus you can alter midi based patterns on the fly, in realtime and a very musical way.
    For creation EZD always wins against SD.

• I'd say the notion that SD is...well...superior to EZD comes from the time before EZD 2. Then the naming was imho true. You could do everything in SD that you could do in EZD plus a lot more, but it was more complicated. With version 2 Toontrack added many features to EZD which actually made it superior in some fields but also a lttle more complicated. Since then I think the naming is more than just a little misguiding and I'm sure many SD user wait more and more impatiently for some of EZD's features to get implemented into SD.

• I'd say the notion that SD is...well...superior to EZD comes from the time before EZD 2. Then the naming was imho true. You could do everything in SD that you could do in EZD plus a lot more, but it was more complicated. With version 2 Toontrack added many features to EZD which actually made it superior in some fields but also a lttle more complicated. Since then I think the naming is more than just a little misguiding and I'm sure many SD user wait more and more impatiently for some of EZD's features to get implemented into SD.

Still mic bleeding is much more sophisticated in SD.

• From the Toontrack forum:

I doubt most people would be able to notice the drop to 16-bit, since the samples are all recorded using really clean gear.

• Plus you can alter midi based patterns on the fly, in realtime and a very musical way.
    For creation EZD always wins against SD.

Do you mean the beat pattern section where you can create a beat or drop one to begin matching patterns? I've not tried to alter patterns with EZ2.

• Do you mean the beat pattern section where you can create a beat or drop one to begin matching patterns? I've not tried to alter patterns with EZ2.

No, I mean with any existing midi pattern that EZD2 is playing, when you go to the page with the drumset you can change e.g. powerhand from hihat to ride or floor tom, ghost notes business etc.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "midi browser", wrong terminology, but I was aware of its capabilities.

I finally managed to download my copy of BFD3. It's interesting, very raw and unprocessed drums unlike Superior. The cymbals, in particular, are much better than the ones in Superior, imo. Tested it out on a track today and liked the results.

The biggest drawback is that it's system hungry, I was able to make it stutter when I was manipulating the project. Superior Drummer has none of those issues.

Thinking about layering them both together and seeing if I can get better drum sounds :woot:

• The earlier versions of Bfd were already demanding with the system. I like their sound, though. But Superior always had something, even the older version, that I missed in Bfd, some "Wow, Man" feeling.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• The earlier versions of Bfd were already demanding with the system. I like their sound, though. But Superior always had something, even the older version, that I missed in Bfd, some "Wow, Man" feeling.

I'd say it's the processing baked into the samples that makes Superior so easy to work with. Even without applying effects, there's always something going on, this is most noticeable with the kicks.

It's also amazing how many producer presets you can get for Superior, really classic drum sounds from people like Andy Sneap and Ulrich Wild.

BFD3 sounds raw, so I'm not sure what I can get out of it. Of course, I haven't really fooled around with its processing options so keeping my fingers crossed. I like the groove editor too, a good way to build up a series of grooves that fit into your style of music.