Newbie question about SPDIF output

• The question is rather general, probably, but anyway...

what kind of cable do I need to connect the SPDIF out to the SPDIF IN of my audiocard? I mean, is it mandatory to use a "Digital Audio Coaxial" cable, or any RCA audio cable is OK?

And, if a "Digital Audio Coaxial" cable is needed, could you please link me some model that's OK? I'm asking because I'm having problems inserting a digital audio coax cable in the Kemper SPDIF IN: the plug cannot go inside the connector firmly, I don't know why...

The strange thing is that the same audio cable has no problem at all, when inserted in the SPDIF OUT of another gear (Roland VG-99). So...are there different SPDIF out sockets???

thanks!

Alfredo

Edited once, last by alfstone ().

• Hi Alfredo,

I use this cable to connect the Kemper digital to my M-Audio Project Mixer:
    Procab CLV162 RCA male - RCA male videokabel 5m
    And it works flawless.
    With another (normal RCA audiocable) it sometimes crackled.

Grz
    Rene

• SPDIF cable is special though the connectors are RCA like a standard audio cable (-10db). AESEBU cable is also special though the connectors are the same as those in balanced (+4 db) XLR audio cables. And there's also the TOSLINK SPDIF optical cables which are more fragile. Kemper uses RCA coaxial SPDIF and theoretically you might use a mono RCA cable, but you will probably get some weird effects. Don't spend too much money on the cable, though. What matters is that it is well shielded. Something like Cordial CPDS should be good enough.

Never too old for rock'n'roll