Boss Katana 100 watt 212

• just purchased a Katana for home/backup.... put the Kemper monitor out through the effects in and wow it really punches. Think i just found myself a light weight alternative to the CLR.. Very happy and relatively cheap

• I almost pulled the trigger on the Katana head a few days ago..
    Before I knew it they were soldout at Sweetwater and GC.
    I'm wondering if I should get the head or the combo.
    It has an acoustic guitar mode that sounds really good.

here's some of killer demos
    From Andertons...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

killer demo by Tom Quayle!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Tom Quayle demoing an acoustic

Edited 13 times, last by ECma7 ().

• Thought about it, too. Would be nice to know about the aux in, the other members asked about. I can als imagine two 1x12ers for stereo operation.And, as you mentioned, one has a backup just in case. Hm...

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• You're supposed to say it sounded like absolute garbage so I can avoid the GAS X(:D I have been wondering how this would do out loud on a couple of different forums. I need a new rack case and foot controller first but the Boss fanboy in me thinks this combination of gear is an excellent idea. Congrats!

• I'd be very interested to know how the Kemper sounds thru it Vs the katana sounds. I.e. Does it sound much better or would I end up just gigging the katana :)

This is truly the conundrum I am in. I have went full bore FRFR route and I am good with it. I end up lugging a bunch of stuff that isn't a half stack (powered speaker and stand) and a lot of times; I think to myself the whole reason I went the modeling route is to stop lugging around so much crap just to play cover tunes. It is in an interesting dilemma to be in for sure.

The Katana ticks off all the boxes for normal guitar tones and I could pretty easily integrate my Boss guitar synth into that rig without any trouble. Kemper tones are obviously next level but if you are just gigging cover band stuff; you really have to do some mental justification.

• I tried the 2x12 kantana against several other more expensive solid states, also frfr systems, in the shop, and it came out as the winner. Open, transparant, responsive and punchy....very very good to my ears at least.

I got me a second hand fender mustang stereo for now, also pretty good, havent A/B that one against the kantana, but i surely will....and im afraid the kantana is gonna beat the stereo mustang also :)

Btw..kantana is supposed to have a very good acoustic mode, that should handle acoustic guitars well.
    No clue how they do that...kantana does not have frfr speakers...so they must have an algoritme that compensates that.
    Could you try to "direct profile" the kantanas acoustic mode?....could that work?

• I bought a Katana 100w 112 combo a week ago. My thoughts only ( especially after the praise this is getting at Vguitar forums)

So far I like the crunch and the brown channel. the clean and the lead are just meah! It is very reactive with the volume control. But I haven't loaded up the boss tone central app yet though to try and program it

It definitely will not replace my CLR and if your playing organs or anything with low notes it is unusable for my Roland GR55 guitar synth

I'm still not sold and may return it, but for $299 including shipping it's pretty good buy

I also have not tried it with my Taylor accoustic

• Very good to hear. I know you from over at VGF and know that you are knee deep in GR land. That keeps me a little more grounded (and on my current path) on the rig side of things.

• I got to play through one recently with the guidance of a couple Boss reps and wasn't very impressed either. "Good for $299" was what I concluded also. But like the old adage goes, "I don't have enough money to afford inexpensive things".

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Please keep us updated. Mine is on backorder, and I might cancel it based on your review ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I think an important point though from people on this forums perspective is how does it sound with the Kemper through it though, not how it sounds by itself - apart from as an interesting comparison. Using it as a personal monitor with the Kemper main out to a pa could be really good if it also then can be used as a decent backup too. I use a dxr10 at the mo, which is great, but I have no real backup if the Kemper craps out.