I LOVE my new Kemper Rack...

• ... but good lord is this interface German. It's like I'm trying to add effects and adjust settings using the iDrive system of my BMW.

The manual, which I've read about 6 times has so much great info, but trying to get into some of the deeper edit features is very non-intuitive (to me). I am an engineer by profession, but this is going to take some time to work out. Browsing, Rigs, Performances, Morphing... oh my. I usually equate the ease of an interface to how quickly I could show it to and explain someone how to navigate around... I'm still weeks(months?) away from being able to do that.

Oh how heavenly the tones are though. I shall be keeping this for a very long time. My eureka'd FCB1010 needs to get swapped out for the Kemper remote ASAP.

• Welcome, Sean!

You know, it's funny but I've found that whenever I can't figure something out, I catch myself falling into the trap time and again of thinking the interface or OS is "unintuitive", only to marvel at the sheer head-slappin' logic involved when the solution finally hits me.

It's almost as if it's too logical, if that's possible. It could be the the paradigms we're accustomed to where outboard synths, FX and other gear are concerned, actually sacrifice just a little efficiency for simplicity... again, if that makes sense. I can't even articulate any concrete examples right now, but this is the feeling I get.

OK, here's one:
    Output settings (and input) are in the Output and Input sections. Duh. Synths place them in the system or utilities menu.

Another:
    I literally spent hours, on and off, trying to figure out how to place the stack EQ pre-amp rather than post. Fiddled around in the Rig-edit pages 'cause it seemed logical as this is the "top" level and where one also sees the Stack-EQ values. It had to be a checkbox or something on one of those pages, I figured, but nooo, Kemper does things more-logically - the setting is in the, er, EQ module (centre button in Stack section). Slapped the ol' forehead again.

See what I mean? Things tend to be split up and placed where they logically belong, but we old hacks and fogies are kinda used to everything's being lumped into much-less specific groups, hence my comment that efficiency may have been compromised for the sake of simplicity when it comes to the gear we're used to operating.

Anyway, that's my take on it for now. I therefore suggest that when you hit a bump in the road, stop for a second and think, "Where's the most-logical place parameter x might've been placed, and could it be a location I've hitherto been unaware of?". You don't have to use the word "hitherto"; that's optional, but the thought process kinda isn't.

Have fun mate!

• Welcome! 8o
    Also a BMW driver here...

:) For the moment, when starting up the Kemper, I need to push the volume expression pedal to the max to have the preset volume to maximum... (pedal = physically maxed out but the volume is not...)
    For a reason, the kemper starts up at about 1/3 of the max volume...
    I looked already to find a solution, but as said above, sometimes not easy to find in all the menu's... ;)
    Also, the volume pedal should be post effects...
    Do we really have to set up in every preset?
    I remember to have used the lock function for this... ?

Sorry for hacking this tread... but always remember that you're not the only one who's cruising the menu's...

• ... but good lord is this interface German. It's like I'm trying to add effects and adjust settings using the iDrive system of my BMW.

The manual, which I've read about 6 times has so much great info, but trying to get into some of the deeper edit features is very non-intuitive (to me). I am an engineer by profession, but this is going to take some time to work out. Browsing, Rigs, Performances, Morphing... oh my. I usually equate the ease of an interface to how quickly I could show it to and explain someone how to navigate around... I'm still weeks(months?) away from being able to do that.

Oh how heavenly the tones are though. I shall be keeping this for a very long time. My eureka'd FCB1010 needs to get swapped out for the Kemper remote ASAP.

Welcome!

Engineer by profession here too. Maybe it's an engineer thing, but I tried to understand the whole thing before starting to use it too. You read the manual 6 times, so sounds like the same problem XD

It's hard to conceptualize the whole thing in one go at the beginning. Just use it like an amp for now, and figure out one thing at a time. As for Morphing, etc., just know it exists and figure it out when you need it. That'd be my advice to a newer user. Or else, it just doesn't seem intuitive enough to pick up the manual and master it.

Enjoy!

• Welcome! I found the tutorial vids were excellent in helping me get started. I really dig the fact that there are onboard buttons for most everything you want to do. As opposed to a device with say, 4 buttons, that you have to somehow intuitively figure out how to dive 76 levels deep into a menu with. Ugh. Don't worry. You'll get it!

• thanks for the encouragement everyone. It's a few days in and I'm definitely getting the hang of things. Someone posted in the tips forum about the USB keyboard on the front for naming... godsend.

So I am a longtime S-Gear user, and have amassed a large amount of Ownhammer and other IRs, including the 3SA acoustic IRs. I have gathered from reading here, and other sites, that 3rd party IRs don't generally work as well with Kempers as the stock cabs. I don't have a problem with this as the stock cabs sound great, I was just wondering.. how do I load in a acoustic IR into a blank Rig? Do I have to use a USB stick? I can't seem to see anything in RM to do this...

Thanks again everyone.