Kemper remote vs. GCP

• Hi All. I'm currently using a GCP but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to getting the Kemper remote? I have the GCP configured in the 4x8 mode. I have the 8 switched configured for all the stomp/fx slots. I'm intrigued by some of the features in of the remote, but am also wondering if there are any limitations that I am not aware of. To give an example of how I use the Kemper, I like to keep things fairly simple. I have about 20 profiles I share for the set, all are fairly similar gate or comp in stomp 1, fuzz/dist in stomp 2, any particular fx I need for a song in stomp 3 or 4. I have a boost in x and use mod, delay and rev for the most part as intended. A few reasons I'm looking to upgrade, I like the idea of being able to program multiple functions for each switch - ex for solos I usually do a three switch tap dance - dist, boost, delay. I know with the GCP I could copy the patch, turn on the fx I want and save it then toggle back and forth. But for some reason, probably I just WANT more new toys :D , I keep looking at the Kemper remote. Looking for some input, buyer's remorse, success stories etc... I'd hate to drop the $$$ and find out that there is no discernible difference. I would also like to use the looper.

The advantages I see with the GCP:
    1) I already have is
    2) I have owned it for years and know it fairly well
    3) 8 stomp/fx switches
    Disadvantages:
    1) Can only program one PC per switch
    2) no bi-directional communications - just me being lazy not wanting to name each new rig on the footswitch

I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance!

• Since no one has chimed in, I'll take a stab at your question.
    Having owned both the GCP and currently using the Kemper Remote, hopefully I can share some in-sight to help.

I'll say first, if I didn't go with the Remote, the GCP would have been my alternative choice.
    I used the GCP with a Mesa Triaxis setup, and it's both a robust and effective pedal board.
    (I really enjoyed taking advantage of the 7 pin midi out thereby eliminating that extra power feed)

Secondly, all taken into consideration, you are at what I'd say to be at a 50/50 mark as to whether going forward would be cost beneficial to you.

Consider this: The Kemper Remote is specifically designed to work with the Kemper.
    As such, it has intrinsic features available to you which no other pedal board can offer.
    i.e. integrated tuner, bi-directional communications, etc.

Size-wise: the GCP is considerably larger and heavier than the Remote.
    Depending on your preferences, that can either be good or bad. (If you prefer button spacing, the Remote might end up being too compact for you.
    I will add that the Remotes compactness sometimes caused me to mistakenly select the looper function while targeting a stomp function. (But I resolved that by modifying a domed cover placed over the Looper button to prevent that)

While on the Looper, the Looper function itself is OK, but I find it's One minute capture time a tad too limiting for any real stage function. i.e. it's no real comparison to other extended looper devices on the market.
    So, if you truly want to explore true Looper features, I'd look into a dedicated looper for that purpose.

Cable-wise: having one CAT 5 style cable between devices is what I was after for so very long.
    The connection cable provided is sturdy enough, but I (and others) have had instances where that small retaining clip has broken off rendering the Kemper side cable connection prone to slipping out.
    Discovering an aftermarket clip-on mod addresses this issue should it occur for only about $8.00 for pkg of 10.
    Replacement after market cable have been identified as well.

The bi-directional sync feature between between devices should not be over-looked as it'll save you loads of time over "teaching" the GCP.
    Downloading a patch from Rig Manager directly into your Kemper and the reference title being listed directly on the Remote is about as seamless as it gets!

So, all-in-all it'll be up to you whether these advantages are cost effective enough to go forward.

The last point I'll leave you with is with over four plus years of Kemper experience, Kemper has been the only device I've ever invested in where it's actually improved rather than degraded. That speaks volumes IMO.

I for one, look forward to any additional features Kemper elects to incorporate and share via future updates.

Hope this helps.

Happy Kemper

• For me the biggest advantage of the remote is the display which show me no. of performance, titel of performance , titel of rig and stomp/effects which are are defined and activated.
    Its the indication I know from KPA. (Sometimes I do not see the KPA clearly while Giging)
    And as a lazy guy I am also I need not to do any programming or configuration work.
    The price was not the match winner ;)

• Some good feedback already, will give you a little more to think about.

I wanted a pedalboard that could also control my others rack effects or external stomp boxes with midi control, that is why I chose the GCP. The Kemper foot control only works with the Kemper .

• Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!

Good points Carsnguitars. I loved using ethernet with my G-System, I do miss that.

Sharry, it's not being lazy, it's being frugal with our time! The bi-directional communication is a welcomed bonus as well.

Good point drog, as of now I'm only using the kpa, I could probably just put the gcp in my "in case I ever need it again" stash.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!