True Temperament Guitar, Anybody in Tune?

• OK You had me going for a while. A very interesting, creative and innovative design.
    Looks like these have been around since 2011.
    However, I wouldn't plunk down any Benjamin's unless these were made of stainless steel. Just my opinion.

Happy Kemper

• It looks wierd! I realy like Buzz feiten tuning, and feel it is more in tune than regular. i think you have to adabt a new playingstyle and fingersetting with these true temperament tuning and realy odd frets! polishing these frets would be a nightmare!!

• Check this Bad Cat out.
    Those clever Viking's just used to drink a 5TH and play a 4TH
    If he don't look out he might start working in some funky wide jazz chords.
    I love this environment.
    Bet he owns a Kemper! Muddy 8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Mattías has been endorsed by Japanese-made Caparison guitars for eons, Muddy.

As for amps, well, he proved in a clinic in France that he can play through anything when he used a Gorilla (tiny!) amp and Siberian distortion pedal.

It's interesting to me that he adjusts his tuning a lot when using his ET axes live. IMHO they go further out of tune than the ET compensates for between and along strings.

Also, I'll say this: I've known about these things since they first appeared, and call me old-fashioned, but IMHO some of the soul is removed from a guitar by ET spacings. Perfection in all things isn't always desirable.

• They sound like pianos to me

This is one of the reasons I'm not into the idea just yet, Muddy. The perfect intonation reminds me too much of sample-based guitar instruments, which have long been regarded as a little "piano-sounding". Using fancy scripting to emulate which strings are employed for particular chords has helped more-modern VI emulations sound more-authentic. The move beyond perfect tuning for all notes, which has helped samplers to sound more like the real thing, will prove to be a step in the wrong direction should these things become the norm, which is kinda ironic.

I asked if anybody's playing these.

I gotcha mate. You said, "Bet he owns a Kemper!", which is why I mentioned the fact that he can find his voice using anything, even a Gorilla amp and ultra-cheap Siberian distortion pedal at a French music shop; he just used what the store had lying around even 'though he's a Laney guy.

I also mentioned the fact that his tuning strayed further afield than his ET compensated for when playing live, at least judging by what I've listened to, necessitating constant adjustments. Of course, this wouldn't matter in a studio situation, but I thought it was relevant.

Finally, I offered my current position on the concept, something most here have done, and by so doing answered your question - obviously I'm not playing ET-tuned guitars at the moment.

I took it from your response that you felt I wasn't being relevant, so I hope this clarifies that that was not my intention, mate.

Always interested in guitars with better intonation.

Yeah, I am too, so I totally feel ya Muddy. I s'pose it's just a matter of time (and cost reduction) 'til I jump on the bandwagon too. For now at least, perfect tuning is the least of my concerns - just getting a guitar to sound like someone who knows what he's doing is playing it seems like it'll take the next 20 years... or more!