Speaker selection for Kemper?

• I currently have 2 1x12 cabs hooked up to the Kemper. First one has a Vintage 30 and the other is a EV12M. I bought the EV in hopes to not color the sound as much. They sound great, but do you think I should keep the cab sim "ON"? I have thought about getting rid of the V30 for another EV12M for a clearer sound. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

• It would be probably be better and less expensive to buy a FRFR speaker because it will have the proper crossover installed..

Celestion and Emminence both have a Coax 12" w/a horn... You'll need to buy there crossover as well, to install into your cab

• I just built a cabinet using a coaxial Eminence Beta-10cx and ASD:1001 horn and it sounds pretty darned good. It also measured pretty flat. I think this is what Xitone uses.

I'd recommend the Beta-12cx and ASD:1001 with the PXB2-2k5CX crossover. I tried the 3k5 crossover first and it was peaky around 3k5.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• FYI..

I just received an email from Avatar Speakers (no affiliation) and they are a couple of hours from posting their FRFR speaker offering. Sounds interesting, but was really hoping to find something less expensive. Here are the details from the email and let me know everyones thought on their specs:

" It's our Traditional 212 diagonal cab with two Eminence deltalite Neo 2512s that are wired in parallel to make a standard 8 ohm cab. There is a Foster one inch compression horn tweeter and a full 12 db crossover with high quality mylar capacitors crossed over at about 3.9 KHz. It's nice and flat down to about 60 hz. and goes up to 16000 hz. It's designed just for amps like the kemper and other profile amps. Its rated conservatively at 500 watts rms and the jackplate has two 1/4 jacks and two speakons and you can go in our out of any of them which is nice for daisy chaining out to another cab. It also comes with all of our custom color and grill cloth choices.
    I was just sitting here writing the copy for the page when I got your email.

$729 shipping included.
    Check it out in a couple of hours. It will be on our Tradional G212 section of the website shown as FRFR. THANKS talk soon Dave "

• Mike, The avatar looks like a nice speaker. But for reference, you could replace your speakers in both of your existing 1x12's for about $300, including the woofers, tweeters and crossovers. In addition to saving money, this would also provide the option of running in stereo if you ever wanted to, or using one for backline and one for a monitor.

• I will probably go that route. I just need to figure out all of the components (type of speakers, crossovers, tweeters) I need to make it sound good. Any help is appreciated.

• See these links:

Woofer

Tweeter

Crossover

The only other stuff you need is some short speaker wire and crimp terminal ends if you don't want to solder to the crossover. Also, you'll need some short screws to mount the crossover inside your speaker cab. The rest is pretty intuitive, pos/neg inputs to the crossover from your speaker jack and pos/neg outputs to the woofer and tweeter. Optionally, you can line your cabinet with eggcrate foam to help control internal resonances to help flatten out the response a bit, but you can play around with that later. This is more important if your cabinet is sealed or mostly sealed. Not really required for an open back.

Maybe try converting just one cabinet first to see if you like it. If you need any help, give me a holler.

• So I finally installed the Eminence speaker mentioned above. Just curious if people have had issues with it? I am finding it very flabby sounding, like it cannot handle the volume/distortion very well. I have it in a open back cab and not sure if that could be causing any sound issues. Considering returning it, but want to try a bit more to see what it can do.

• Mike, sorry to hear my suggestion isn't working out. Mine is the 10" version in a closed but ported cabinet and I don't get the flabby sound. It actually sounds decent even on bass. The culprit is probably the open back cabinet. I thought it might not be a problem at guitar frequencies, but apparently it is. This speaker is designed to go much deeper than a typical guitar speaker (57Hz rolloff vs 80-120Hz on a guitar speaker, and 47Hz resonance vs 75Hz resonance).

There are two things I can suggest:
    1. Try running a High Pass filter at 100hz on the Kemper in the effects section and see if that helps. This will give a low frequency response closer to a regular guitar speaker. This kind of rolloff was occurring naturally in your old speaker. If that works, then maybe the monitor EQ can work well enough too, freeing up your effects slot.
    2. If you like the sound other than the flabbiness, you might want to consider putting a back on your cabinet, which could be a simple piece of plywood. If you send me the internal dimensions of your cabinet, I can run it through my speaker sim software and see what that will look like. Generally, closed cabinets provide tight bass without super deep lows, which might be perfect for you.

Keep me posted, it was my idea so I'll help you through this.

• Mike, sorry to hear my suggestion isn't working out. Mine is the 10" version in a closed but ported cabinet and I don't get the flabby sound. It actually sounds decent even on bass. The culprit is probably the open back cabinet. I thought it might not be a problem at guitar frequencies, but apparently it is. This speaker is designed to go much deeper than a typical guitar speaker (57Hz rolloff vs 80-120Hz on a guitar speaker, and 47Hz resonance vs 75Hz resonance).

There are two things I can suggest:
    1. Try running a High Pass filter at 100hz on the Kemper in the effects section and see if that helps. This will give a low frequency response closer to a regular guitar speaker. This kind of rolloff was occurring naturally in your old speaker. If that works, then maybe the monitor EQ can work well enough too, freeing up your effects slot.
    2. If you like the sound other than the flabbiness, you might want to consider putting a back on your cabinet, which could be a simple piece of plywood. If you send me the internal dimensions of your cabinet, I can run it through my speaker sim software and see what that will look like. Generally, closed cabinets provide tight bass without super deep lows, which might be perfect for you.

Keep me posted, it was my idea so I'll help you through this.

Thanks. It is sounding better after playing with the EQ's a bit. I am going to try the closed back as well. I play pretty loud so hoping the speaker can handle it. Rated at 250W.

• Hello! I've finished my Monitor Project by putting an Beyma 12ga50 in a cheap harley-benton 1x12 cab (from thomann) , close the back (!!! makes more definition and pressure)) and listen. It's an amazing monitor-cab for the Kemper, just tweak a little more bass (I've made an extra Output preset for it, so I can switch fast) and it sounds very good for this price (payed 105 € for the Beyma and 25€ for the used cab)!!! I compare it with the headphone Sound with a AKG 712 Pro and it comes very close!

My second experience is the VOX nighttrain 1x12 open back cab, which is very little and there's an Celestion G12M Greenback in it. This cab sounds also very amazing with the Kemper (I leave the monitor cab on!!!), not that flat like the beyma, but much more amp-sounding color, which is very great. I use it in my homestudio for composing and practice, and it really rocks!

Greetings
    Andreas