What is your Volume/Boost Strategy?

• I am currently revisiting my volume and boost strategy and was hoping for some insight into how others are doing it.

While I continue to experiment, currently I generally have three options for boosting that have been my current habit:

1) Morph (3dB increase in volume + minor tweaks)
    2) Green Scream (basically M. Britt's setting in the 65 AC30 profiles: 1.4 drive +1.4 volume)
    3) Studio EQ (I *think* this is the 'Cut The Mix' preset with the Volume +3)

Assuming for the moment that all units are dB, each option change is @3dB which I *thought* I had read somewhere is a good place to start/standard but it might just have been what someone else was doing.

What I have found, though, is that in live practice settings, generally using one is not enough, and sometimes two at the same time is not enough, but all three is too loud. So, I am thinking I need to increase the individual settings to somewhere between +6-8 dB so I only need to use one at any given time. However, I am concerned that may be too much to send to FOH - any thoughts or other strategies I should consider?

• I do not make any volume adjustments between my rhythm and lead sounds. Instead, I change the Studio EQ that is being used post stack.

For example, I tend to like a scooped mid in my rhythm sound. However on the lead patch, which is exactly the same amp sound, I level the scooped mids and boost the 900Hz and 300Hz. The boost is 2.1 and 2.5. Meaning their is a boost of volume because of the EQ setting, but more importantly the lead sound will now cut through a mix, unlike the rhythm sound.

Hope this makes sense.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• I use a pure boost in the MOD slot on every rig and have the setting at +3.0db.

As noted above though, perhaps a better solution would be a studio EQ. With this you can both raise the volume output AND create a bit more cut into the mix by boosting the mids and highs.

I have seen and used the latter approach with traditional tube amp setups in the past (in the efx loop). It seems to work very well.

Using the green scream will also work, but it adds gain to the mix as well. Many rigs will increase the treble when the gain is increased, so you may need to tame the highs if you boost the gain as well. This can be done using the kemper foot controller since you can use 2 slots to do this. One to increase the gain, and the other to modify the eq to keep the treble from tearing off the heads of those in the audience ;)

• Thought this was an interesting boost strategy using pedal in the loop pre-amp section but post compression (for example).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I touch the booster knob of my music man majesty. A pretty cool feature. You can set a boost up to 20 db only by touching the volume knob ( push/push poti) 8o

For my other guitars i set a real boost in stomp X up to 2 or 3 db.

Cheers
    Frank

• Exactly the same here, with the addition of some delay, all by morphing.

Same here. Originally I had a clean boost in the X effects location....but that was before I discovered morphing!
    3db volume boost, plus delay mix goes up, plus a touch more gain.

• Same here. Originally I had a clean boost in the X effects location....but that was before I discovered morphing!3db volume boost, plus delay mix goes up, plus a touch more gain.

This is pretty much exactly what I do.
    I find upping the amp gain gives me a more consistent and natural sound than adding a booster pedal.
    If I need to boost a clean sound, and keep it clean, then I'll use a pure boost.

• Same here. Originally I had a clean boost in the X effects location....but that was before I discovered morphing!
    3db volume boost, plus delay mix goes up, plus a touch more gain.

I've been using volume pedal 3 db... and separate exp pedal to control delay mix. Maybe this Morphing thing bears a look/see...

• So all you 3dB guys - what is your band's on stage volume like? Would 6dB be overkill in your world?

1) Loud (two guitars , 4 x 12 cabs, loud drummer.. and why can't bass players ever turn down?) 2) 6db probably too much, altho I lost some setting when I upgraded OS so I might fine tune the 3db - does anyone know if the volume pedal scale is in dbs? I just presumed...

• So all you 3dB guys - what is your band's on stage volume like? Would 6dB be overkill in your world?

Moderate stage volume. We play small bars and clubs.
    For the most part, I find 6dB to be overkill, but it really depends on the rig being used. 3dB typically works fine, but there are occasions where I feel I need a little more.
    These days, I try not to get caught up in numbers and tweak until my leads are all about the same perceived level.

• I set up morphing control by an expression pedal, about +3db, so i can regulate the increasement of the volume just of what i need, from 0db to 3db or more if you like.

Gian