New Feature - Profile Demo

• Hi,

It would be great if there was a way for the KPA to recognize a demo profile so it could insert a beep at fixed intervals (maybe every 15 seconds). Why? Because it would allow people who create and sell top quality profiles to offer a demo for free so users could try out the profile before purchase. This could have huge implications in helping further cultivate business for both profile makers and Kemper. And make uses very happy to be able to test drive the sound of a profile before committing to an investment.

This could be accomplished by having Kemper make available a small software utility that would simply place a demo-marker inside the meta-data of an existing profile for later recognition as a demo. A later OS rev could then recognize any demo-marked profiles and insert the beep.

Sonic

• I reckon it would be somewhat useful, but No thanks ! top quality demo profiles on rig exchange is the way to go for me.

DRM, tokens, DLC , I have largely enough of this crap outside the music word, when I grab a guitar I just want to plug and play, sorry !

• What would work better would be an expiry date that auto-deletes the profile as a demo. Then you either lose the pack, or purchase the full rigs after a week.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• i must really be missing something because I looked at some profiles at a few well known pay-for commercial grade profile makers and they aren't offering any of them for free. That's why I thought up this feature idea in the first place.

The most I saw was maybe a free profile or two from the profile maker IN TOTAL. In other words a sample of their work. But NOT a profile from each amp for which profiles are being sold And even within a rig pack there could be different mics and cabinets, etc. So I respectfully disagree entirely that there are free offerings that negate the need for the feature I'm proposing.

Tell me this, how would this feature hurt anybody? Would it not only help to allow profile makers to let people try their profiles and be happy with a purchase? And to weed out those that are trying to charge for a sub-par profile?

• i must really be missing something because I looked at some profiles at a few well known pay-for commercial grade profile makers and they aren't offering any of them for free. That's why I thought up this feature idea in the first place.

The most I saw was maybe a free profile or two from the profile maker IN TOTAL. In other words a sample of their work. But NOT a profile from each amp for which profiles are being sold And even within a rig pack there could be different mics and cabinets, etc. So I respectfully disagree entirely that there are free offerings that negate the need for the feature I'm proposing.

Tell me this, how would this feature hurt anybody? Would it not only help to allow profile makers to let people try their profiles and be happy with a purchase? And to weed out those that are trying to charge for a sub-par profile?

Was this on rig exchange?

Most of the big sellers have packs of several profiles available. Which seller were you looking for?

• Most of the big sellers have packs of several profiles available. Which seller were you looking for?

No, not Rig Exchange. Places like TopJimi, etc. I don't remember all the profile makers I browsed. I was looking at various sites and packs and they often have a hoard of combinations within the various profiles inside the packs. Yet any free demos (if any at all) we very sparse in comparison. That's what prompted my thinking on a new feature idea to make it easier for users to try out a profile before purchase.

• What would work better would be an expiry date that auto-deletes the profile as a demo. Then you either lose the pack, or purchase the full rigs after a week.

I like this idea. It works a bit like my Eventide H9 pedal where you get something like 5 or 10 minutes free demo of any of the H9's algorithms per day. If you like it after a couple of listens you buy it.

• I like this idea. It works a bit like my Eventide H9 pedal where you get something like 5 or 10 minutes free demo of any of the H9's algorithms per day. If you like it after a couple of listens you buy it.

Yes. I hadn't planned on getting into the details and security aspects nor the exact mechanism for a demo marker. But now that this has been brought up, the software utility Kemper would provide could allow the profile maker to tag a file with a date in the metadata that sets the expiration based on what the profile maker wants. They could also decide if they want a beep or not every X seconds (which they could choose parameter X as well). The date and demo marker and beep duration could actually be hashed and encrypted into one entry in the meta data for security. Lots of ways to do this but I was leaving it to the Kemper engineers to decide if they thought the basic feature concept made sense. In other words, there would now be a new class of profiles - demo profiles. And the profile makers would then simply state on their websites what to expect - maybe they offer free, no-limit demos (like today), or maybe add a beep, and/or maybe time-expiration.

Again, just floating this for consideration, maybe this feature idea makes sense and maybe it doesn't.

• No, not Rig Exchange. Places like TopJimi, etc. I don't remember all the profile makers I browsed. I was looking at various sites and packs and they often have a hoard of combinations within the various profiles inside the packs. Yet any free demos (if any at all) we very sparse in comparison. That's what prompted my thinking on a new feature idea to make it easier for users to try out a profile before purchase.

Check out the rig packs on Kemper's website.

Very often I load a free profile and store at the RM. But the decision to use it or to buy I mostly make later if I am looking for some application and/or I found out I like this Rig also at another day.

I have bought thousands of commercial rigs (call me crazy, if you like) but I would never try a rig which pissed me off when I want to test at the moment I like :thumbdown:

• That is why I am not keen on the idea of a beep in the profile. If you buy profiles, then you would never be disappointed with demo restrictions. However, this would allow others the change to find what they want without buying blind.

If none of these ideas prove useful to Kemper or profile makers, maybe the Choptones approach would be something others look at. In their youtube demos they often have a section with just guitar on its own in mono and double tracked. For me a full demo is affected hugely by the bass guitar tone.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().