New Kemper Owner - Output Questions

• Hello all,

Purchased an unpowered Kemper rack about a month ago. Absolutely love it! Many things to learn, I'm doing ok with most things but having trouble wrapping my head around gain structure, amp/rig volumes and master volumes relating to volume knobs on solid state amps.
    My setup:
    Unpowered Kemper rack
    QSC GX5
    QSC GX7 vs Matrix GT 1000fx 2u (Soon to purchase one or the other, Haven't decided which yet)
    Mission Engineering passive 2x12 FRFR cabinet (goes with QSC GX5)
    Four 1x12 guitar cabs ALL four are 8 ohms (Two-Rock w Texas heat, Avatar w G12K-100, Port City w G12K-100, and an Egnater with something I can't remember.
    I'm also probably going to get two more 1x12 cabs either Stage Craft or Mather for a Jensen C12k and a Cannabis Rex that I have.
    Yes, lots of 1x12 cabs, BUT, I like the versatility of it. Use one or use several......

Questions:

1. QSC GX7 versus Matrix amp, This will be for guitar cabs - Any opinions?

2. Impossible to turn cabs OFF for direct out globally like one can do for Monitor Out ? I would like to occasionally run 1 or sometimes 2 cabs PER CHANNEL on the QSC amp. In other words, utilize both channels of the amp with up to 4 speakers, 2 per side, 4 ohm load each side. If unable to utilize the Direct out (with cabs OFF) along with monitor out (with cabs OFF), this 4 cabinet setup won't work with monitor out alone through one channel of the amp as the resistance would be too low for the amp.

3. The QSC amp "wants" to see a 1.2 volt rms coming in at the input for optimal usage ? I know this is not absolute, but should I try to set monitor output to this level for optimal headroom etc.... ? If so, how is this done? The monitor output adjustment goes from an infinity symbol to an infinity symbol, with a range of negative 90 ish to positive 16 ish (not in front of my Kemper now, so I'm not sure of this.....). And is this in db or dbu's ? Not sure exactly what this is anyway.

4. If no global cabs OFF via direct out, then could I use an insert patch cable (1 TRS TO 2 TS cable) to split the signal coming out of the Monitor Out and go into each channel of the amp with no loss of signal or weirdness?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really, really like this thing and I'm just trying to maximize its usage for my purposes.

Thank you !

• Hiya Twang, and welcome, mate.

2. Impossible to turn cabs OFF for direct out globally like one can do for Monitor Out ? I would like to occasionally run 1 or sometimes 2 cabs PER CHANNEL on the QSC amp. In other words, utilize both channels of the amp with up to 4 speakers, 2 per side, 4 ohm load each side. If unable to utilize the Direct out (with cabs OFF) along with monitor out (with cabs OFF), this 4 cabinet setup won't work with monitor out alone through one channel of the amp as the resistance would be too low for the amp.

No experience with cabs and live use; studio monitors only here. However, for this one, can't you just disable the Cab block / function by turning it off (pressing it)? That'd be about as global as one could hope for.

• Thanks for the replies,

Yes, but if I wanted to use both mains out to FOH or to my Mission FRFR concurrently with Direct out and Monitor out to guitar cabs, that would disable Cabinet On for mains right?

• Gosh.....
    Somehow I missed that in the QSC manual, I didn't think it could do that.
    Tried it, it works perfect ! Sounds awesome.
    Thank you so much for your help!