Positive Grid BIAS HEAD vs Kemper

• I have the plugin but I have not tried the head. I suspect the tone will be the same except the latency which should be lower on the hardware.

I'm lukewarm about the tone. It's true the BIAS is one of the better modellers out there but it wasn't working for me. Just couldn't dial in a tone that I liked hearing. I'm sure other may disagree.

If you ask me, comparing the tones from BIAS and what I've heard the Kemper do, the answer for me is Kemper all the way. (haven't bought a Kemper yet and I'm so hoping it won't be a glorified BIAS plugin. I'm really hoping to cop tones from Top Jimi out of the box.)

• There's been a lot of BIAS FX marketing hitting my way recently, so I checked out the plugin. Same product line, and same technology, so I the plugin should be very similar to the Head.
    You should try the free plugin demo. It's very easy to setup and check out if you have an audio interface.

In my opinion, it sounds good but not great. Something about its dynamics is really harsh. Like @raunch said, just couldn't dial in a tone I really liked.
    There's a ton of tweak-ability. You can change every parameter of the amp - what tubes, how hot they run, how many gain stages, etc. But it didn't want to make me play more. Just made me want to tweak more, thinking what else can I change, etc. Mainly because I didn't dig the sounds right away.

I love the concept and the format. But I don't quite like the sound of their plugin product, and I don't have any reason to think the Head is different.

One of the benefits of Kemper for me is that I'm not tweaking a whole a lot. The profiles have already been well adjusted to sound great by guys who are world class. It's almost always plug and play with good profiles.

In terms of plugins, I much prefer S-Gear. Sounds great, and very realistic. Limited options compared to something like BIAS, but quality over quantity.
    There's also a free demo of S-Gear too, check it out. Unfortunately, they don't make a hardware Head version.

• Well, I own the Bias head and Kemper and the Kemper wins for now but out of the box it does sound great. The profiles with the BIAS do sound authentic but its limiting since you can only have a certain amount of tones stored per slot.

• Well, I own the Bias head and Kemper and the Kemper wins for now but out of the box it does sound great. The profiles with the BIAS do sound authentic but its limiting since you can only have a certain amount of tones stored per slot.

Cool! Always good to hear a new tech works.

Now you can make BIAS profiles of all your Kemper profiles, make profiles of profiles and see what happens :P
    Kidding aside, will you start producing BIAS profiles as well?

• This may be relevant:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Both sounds good to me. However this shootout is only touching the surface of what these units can do. By using a regular cab, every tone fed to it will be drawn into the "realm" of that speaker. Another issue is that when sharing the same cab you can take about any pair of amp-sims and dial in 5 or six tones that sound very similar on both units. It says nothing about the rest of the tones the units can produce. I would need to test myself in order to make any purchase decision. The only definite plus for the Bias Head that I get from this video is the tablet editor.

• No effects on the Bias Head... I don't see how it's a competitor to Kemper or other all-in-one modelers like the Helix or Axe-FX (+ active cabinet).
    It's a better version of THR100HD maybe. When the THR came out, a lot of people were disappointed that it didn't have programmable UI. But the THR is stereo, two amps in one, so not all winning there either.

I think it's a good product for people already invested in BIAS products. Otherwise, there's better options.

And I expected it to be smaller/lighter! Only a little smaller than Kemper and heavier than Powerhead by 3 lbs.

Edited once, last by yeky83 ().

• I didn't understand why they haven't included any fx.... but since the release of the positive grid bias distortion pedal, I've known why :).... the next one will probably be the positive grid chorus pedal, and so on :)

• Here I "amp matched" perhaps my favourite kemper profile. Bias (vst) got very close. I also tried amp matching a tube amp and doing the same with kemper - - well profiling -- again bias got very close, probably even closer than kemper in that case.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am not saying bias is as consistently good as kemper. But it's quite underrated by many imho. You can also save your amp matches in the head hardware version.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Why not just profile the Bias and move on?

Because...

I also tried amp matching a tube amp and doing the same with kemper - - well profiling -- again bias got very close, probably even closer than kemper in that case.

BIAS & Kemper give you separate advantages & disadvantages. It's not as simple as just profiling something if the profile imposes a Kemper fingerprint that you don't prefer and would rather use the BIAS. At that point a profile isn't very helpful.

• Here is an interesting A/B/C/D comparison, by a vendor who not only sells commercial Kemper profiles, but also patches for Fractal, Positive Grid BIAS, Line 6 Helix, Avid ElevenRack, Boss, etc.

I imagne that this vendor does not have a particular "dog in the fight".

It is also interesting to read the comments section, to get a general consensus of which digital amp came out best in this shoot-out.

...just saying.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I can only put out more blind tests and see if People can hear the difference :) Not one tone. 10 tones. Have done it already, just not on youtube, so I know what to expect, but those interested will be able to check it out.

I'd say bias can definitely demand more work in terms of getting close to certain tones. It's not as simple as kpa in that regard. I think kemper simplifies the cloning of amps massively, but having bias types choices (picking what amp you want before matching) is not always a bad thing.

I use both and have bias matches of my favourite kemper profiles and amps. Generally the kemper is a higher grade/level of a product - - it feels so To me - - but the gap is not as big as may be assumed. If it is then it should be easy to pass my test with flying colors. I also think bias does power amp saturation quite well.