The Journey: Helix -> Axe-FX II XL+ -> Kemper Profiler

• Welcome. I used the Ultra and a Pod Pro, and something was missing. The Kemper sounds way closer to a tube amp. Even better depending on the Rig.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Welcome! Different yet similar journey myself. The Ax was awesome but I spent too much (self-inflicted) time tweaking and updating firmware and twisting digital knobs instead of playing. Had the Helix for a short time but could not get anything out of it at all. It sounds good in pretty much all of the clips floating around the net but sounded wooly and messy and just, well; crap in person. Could not dial anything in inspiring whatsoever.

Got the Kemper and it is perfect. Only thing that could make it better is if they release a floor version. Absolutely gorgeous cleans, mid and high gain are all there in spades! Just an excellent piece of gear. Enjoy!

• Congrats. Similar story here but actually find the Axe-Fx feels and sounds most like a real amp. For rehearsals I use my KPA because its convenient grab and go. In the studio I use the Axe-Fx the most. Tried a Helix and sent it back.

• How's the SRV search going? Anything work out?

Starting to get somewhere. Step 1 was to discover the "Space" setting for headphones, which has made them way better to listen to. Most of my playing is late at night with a toddler in the next room, and everything sounded fairly dry and lifeless through headphones until I found that setting.

A couple of your profiles are pretty solid starting points. There's also a nice Ceriatone Steel String Singer (and Ceriatone SSS SRV) profile by Einar Nysted that I'm toying around with. I have my own variant that I've been tweaking.

Nothing bang on yet, nor will I ever achieve the perfect SRV tone because I'm not him. I had a pretty solid Axe-FX II profile (really a few) that I'm trying to get someone to profile for me to see how well it translates into the Kemper. I profiled a few Helix tones and those sound exactly as fake on the Kemper as the Helix... so the Kemper did a great job of profiling them rather accurately. :P

I realized that one of the sources of the darkness I've been getting out of the neck is the DiMarzio Heavy Blues 2 pickup I have in there right now. It's a bit darker/duller sounding than I'd prefer, so I'm going to swap it out for something.

• Most of my playing is late at night with a toddler in the next room, and everything sounded fairly dry and lifeless through headphones until I found that setting.

Try that space setting in combination with pure cabinet. There's a video on the kemper youtube site that recommends that for headphone use. I remember it just now because I am in the same situation as use with two kids in the apartment.

• Starting to get somewhere. Step 1 was to discover the "Space" setting for headphones, which has made them way better to listen to. Most of my playing is late at night with a toddler in the next room, and everything sounded fairly dry and lifeless through headphones until I found that setting.
    A couple of your profiles are pretty solid starting points. There's also a nice Ceriatone Steel String Singer (and Ceriatone SSS SRV) profile by Einar Nysted that I'm toying around with. I have my own variant that I've been tweaking.

Nothing bang on yet, nor will I ever achieve the perfect SRV tone because I'm not him. I had a pretty solid Axe-FX II profile (really a few) that I'm trying to get someone to profile for me to see how well it translates into the Kemper. I profiled a few Helix tones and those sound exactly as fake on the Kemper as the Helix... so the Kemper did a great job of profiling them rather accurately. :P

I realized that one of the sources of the darkness I've been getting out of the neck is the DiMarzio Heavy Blues 2 pickup I have in there right now. It's a bit darker/duller sounding than I'd prefer, so I'm going to swap it out for something.

Have you tried this one:
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…4-Bluesy-SRV-Hendrix-rig/

Can sound pretty SRV like at times...

/Einar

• Hello and welcome to the Kemper community!

I use the Kemper for a few month, and like you I've tried a lot of equipment (amps, modeler, analog and digital effects and multieffects...) in all that years before.
    At least I ever been come back to analog effects and tubeamp, last years I played with two Fender HDR with different Speaker in, I play with a Tele thinline, a squier strat and most with a musicman reflex.
    When I hear about the Kemper, I'm going to be pregnant with for a year, then there was no way to bear it and try, if that was my solution. I use the Powerhead with remote. And it was! The first week I was really not shure, if that was another deal I will regret, Needs a bit time to understand the art of working and find a few profiles that match. Another thing was getting the right speaker and tweak our PA in our rehearsal to sound well with the Kemper but now I'm truly happy with it and don't regret to switch to this fine Piece of gear.
    All my amps, effectboards, cabinets were gone and sold (and at least I don't have to pay for the Kemper) , it was never as easy to use a remote and I don't think I need much more than this.

So I hope you'll have much fun and inspiring sounds from the Kemper!

• Have you tried this one:https://www.kemper-amps.com/fo…4-Bluesy-SRV-Hendrix-rig/

Can sound pretty SRV like at times...

/Einar

Thanks! I've been using my own copy of your SRV Steel String Singer profile and will try out that one.

I moved the Heavy Blues 2 pickup to the bridge. Much better there than neck. I'm swapping a Pro 54 for an Area 61 but have a Texas Special in the neck for now. It's helping get closer to SRV.