Any S/PDIF Solution?

• Hi,

I'm still wrapping my head around this magic box, really impressive piece of equipment. Have most of the basics figured out and am reference testing now, but am struggling with outputs. I intended to use S/PDIF until I realized the 44.1K / Master limitation. I've tried balanced and unbalanced outputs and the end result is not as good as S/PDIF. It may be the D/A and A/D trip which the non-digital outputs have to make back into the DAW, and/or the cabling between the devices. No telling for sure, but at the end of the day the S/PDIF sound quality is what I'm after. Has anybody figured out a way to get around this S/PDIF quagmire yet? I am using a Fireface 400 and like to run 48K when songwriting and demoing due to some other synth/fonts chips within the system that run at that fixed rate. Is there ANY solution at all to the Kemper's S/PDIF restrictions?

Thanks,

Sonic

• Awesome, thanks guys, I was hoping such a thing existed. I will do some research now that I know what direction to investigate.....

Last night I was A/B/C comparing the three different outputs (balanced, unbalanced and S/PDIF). The analog outs just don't sound quite like S/PDIF. Not sure if this is something attributed to the KPA or FF400. The S/PDIF conection results in a shade more clarity, definition and punch, and less harmonic smear in the distortion. (Or said another way, less digital hair). S/PDIF just sounds more realistic.

** Update **

After looking at the Behringer device it is a full rack space footprint and overkill for what I need. I only need a small desktop rate converter/resampler that I'm guessing needs to act as a slave to two differently clocked masters while doing the resampling conversion in between them. I'lll have to search around and see if such an animal even exists....

If I were to ditch the SB card to be able to run 44.1, how would I configure the system? I'd set FF400 to slave, but then how do I get the overall system synchronized? If I set the playback & recording timing Master settings in Sonar to "FF400 S/PDIF" will that "link" Sonar to both the FF400 and also the KPA by association? I'm guessing the whole system would then be sync'ed using the KPA as Master? When I was done recording guitar tracks I could flip the FF400 back to being Master. At least that's my guess at the moment...

• A little off topic, but some interfaces like the UAD Apollo 8 have built in sample rate conversion. So for example, the Kemper will still run at 44.1K into an SPDIF channel but you can still run everything else at 96K, etc...

It does seem like an obvious enhancement to just put output sample rate options in the Kemper though...