Uploading modified profiles?

• Etiquette question, for want of a better term...

I quite often find rigs on rig exchange that need a fair bit of tweaking to sound right, at least to my ears and with my guitars. So I'll adjust them, add stomps if they don't have them, generally tidy up. I'd like to share the results but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is without upsetting whoever put the rig I used as a base up in the first place.

I guess there are two questions - what's the license for rigs uploaded to rig exchange, and what's the *polite* way to do this that won't upset people?

• The rigs on the Rig Exchange are only intended to be posted by the people who actually created the profiles.

But, you can post your modified rigs - you can make a post in the Free Rigs forum, and include a link to your modified rig. (Dropbox is a great place to upload the actual Rigs) You can rename the rig, and indicate you are the rig author - but, be sure to retain the original name(s) of the amp and cabinet profile creators within the Rig.

• I think proper etiquette is to ask the author, if you can find him/her on the forum. Usually people don't mind.
    You could also consider not changing the author, but add a comment in the rig "Tweaked by tomoinn" instead :)

As Paults says, the Rig Exchange terms and conditions state that you can only upload your own original work. I don't think this is always strictly adhered to, but those are the formal rules :)

• Thanks both, that's pretty much what I thought.

The problem with that approach of course is that the updated versions aren't discoverable through the rig exchange. Makes me think there's probably a change needed at some point to reflect the extra value from the effects setup over and above the pure amp profile. I'd like to be able to find profiles which are purely the amp / cab / mic part, and mix them with an effects chain, possibly from some kind of effects exchange equivalent to the rig exchange. Feels like they should be separable in some way.

At that point I'd also quite like macros for effects chains but that's definitely spreading out into new functionality.