**Backup your profiles** My computer was infected with "ransomware"

• My Windows 10, desktop machine got hit last night by Cryptolocker (or a variant that's around)
    (EDIT: I found out it is the PClock ransomware virus.)
    It encrypts video, pictures, and documents...plus some other files including ZIP, I believe.
    It then threatens to delete the encryption key if an amount of $$$ is not sent by Bitcoin. In my case, they want ~$700.

No way.

I *think* I have my most recent profile purchases backed up on my Rig Manger laptop....I'll have to take inventory.
    I know most of them (if not all) are on that laptop. Most of my important pictures were backed up, and surprisingly.....my iTunes
    music folder was set to Read Only so none of them were affected, thank goodness.

This stuff is going around so beware. Always backup your important files and keep multiple copies of you profiles.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited once, last by HCarlH ().

• Man, that sucks!!! Hope you have everything backed up.

Yeah, I roll carbon copy cloner for my boot drive (mostly directly before updating OS), apple time machine for incremental backup (which I really should use more often), and then Crashplan for backup to the cloud.

Probably excessive for my needs - but you just know the moment you stop backing up that something will hit you!

• That sucks!
    I Have a backup drive. I try to keep my music laptop off the internet and only visit music sites for software updates.

All my other surfing I do on my iPad.

Too many 13yr kids with too much time on their hands. I hope eventually they make the Internet access so it's not anonymous, maybe a thumb print access so we know who these idiots are.

• That is one scary thing when it happens. I paid the fee twice now for people that I know that had all their files encrypted. BitCoin both times and they sent the decrypter file both times. Unfortunately its a business for "them" and if they didn't pay word would spread and no more business for them. Very disheartening for the individuals that can't recover all their photos, documents, etc. Email links aren't the only source for this mishap, google searches also will pull up, unknowingly, infected websites.
    Hope everything works out for you.

• That's horrible! Don't pay no way no how. How did you get infected? Does anyone have access to your PC? Did you plug in any thumbdrives recently?

It was online. I don't know where. It could have been one of those instances where you misspell an URL and it goes somewhere in inner hell.

Right now I'm backing up files that are OK and then I'm going to format the drive for storage purposes later. I just bought a brand new HD
    and will reinstall Windoze 10. Then, I will keep that OFF line except for updates and then I'll back up all docs, video, and music files to a separate Flash drive or DVD.

I've used Linux off and one for about 12 years, but I need to get used to it for Internet cruising and save Win10 for music only.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Now another unfortunate event.
    Some of my OneDrive (cloud) files were encrypted.

The files in my local PC OneDrive folder (which were encrypted) were uploaded to the cloud where they updated THOSE files.

So, the cloud is NOT where you want to backup your stuff. Long live CDs and DVDs!!!!!

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Maybe there are unencrypted "shadow copies" of your files left on the hd. If you still have the old system, start it, then in the Windows Explorer right click on the drive or folder where the files should be located.
    If shadow copy was activated you might see a menu named "restore previous versions".

• Sry to hear. That sux big time.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• That's horrible! Don't pay no way no how. How did you get infected? Does anyone have access to your PC? Did you plug in any thumbdrives recently?

I definitely understand this thought and that's how I feel but seeing a woman cry because all her family pictures of kids, grandkids, etc. are gone is heartbreaking. You and I know what we would like to do to the person causing this grief but there is no other way to recover these files. I think it was even as low as 128bit encryption would take years and years to decrypt even with super computers. It plain sucks and most of the time it's just social engineering that entices someone into clicking on an infected link in an email. I find it's almost 50/50 on infections between email links and searched turning up infected websites in the results. These are the two most prevalent methods of infection as this time.

• Another bad thing about these type of infections is they will crawl your network through mapped drives, portable storage devices that are attached, etc. and encrypt files on those devices. Most that I have seen strictly encrypt files with extensions like jpg, pdf, doc, mp4, avi, etc. Anything pretty much that has to do with pictures, movies, and documents. Leaving system files and program files alone. They want your computer to work just want to hold all your important personal things for ransom.

Backups are the answer, if they are disconnected from the infected computer. Unfortunately it's a good time to learn and teach other family members and friends a little bit about safe practices.

• . I done a system restore and lost about 10% of files and then formatted. Then I went with Mac.

I'd love to have a new iMac. I have a used MB Pro I use for music only and is not attached to the Internet except for updates.

But new iMacs are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Maybe there are unencrypted "shadow copies" of your files left on the hd. If you still have the old system, start it, then in the Windows Explorer right click on the drive or folder where the files should be located.
    If shadow copy was activated you might see a menu named "restore previous versions".

I've already formatted the disc and installed Ubuntu (which is what I'm using now for Internet cruising).
    Not totally safe, but safer than Windoze IMO.

I bought a brand new drive and reinstalled Win 10. I will ONLY use that for music and programs that must use Windows.

Thanks for the tip, though!

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• I'd love to have a new iMac. I have a used MB Pro I use for music only and is not attached to the Internet except for updates.
    But new iMacs are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

Maybe when you factor in the costs like the ones above, it might work out cheaper! Plus they seem to stay useable for longer so you don't have to upgrade as much. I use a MacBook Pro. I can have 40+ tracks all with plugins on logic and have hardly any slowdown. I love it.

• Maybe when you factor in the costs like the ones above, it might work out cheaper! Plus they seem to stay useable for longer so you don't have to upgrade as much. I use a MacBook Pro. I can have 40+ tracks all with plugins on logic and have hardly any slowdown. I love it.

The question is, what processor do you guys have? i7 or i5?

• Since reading this thread, I've now subscribed to Malwarebytes. I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

I've just got one PC and it does get used for everything. I'm careful where I go / what I do..... I only use purchased software and run a virus checker on any files I download. I've got an external hard drive that stays disconnected that has backups of all the family photos etc. Even so, there are evil gits out there who are now putting these things in innocent places so you still cannot be 100%. I'm hoping the software I've installed adds an extra layer of protection. It costs money but worth it if it gives you extra help.