**Backup your profiles** My computer was infected with "ransomware"

• The question is, what processor do you guys have? i7 or i5?

My MBP has i7.

The Win10 machine has i5.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Since reading this thread, I've now subscribed to Malwarebytes. I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

I've just got one PC and it does get used for everything. I'm careful where I go / what I do..... I only use purchased software and run a virus checker on any files I download. I've got an external hard drive that stays disconnected that has backups of all the family photos etc. Even so, there are evil gits out there who are now putting these things in innocent places so you still cannot be 100%. I'm hoping the software I've installed adds an extra layer of protection. It costs money but worth it if it gives you extra help.

Thanks Gary, you're much better off than most in the precautions you're taking.
    I had Avast and MalwareBytes installed on the machine, although Avast was the only one scanning memory at all times.
    I only used MWB when I detected a problem. The ransomware occurred because I was the one who let Win10 install it.
    A VERY official looking popup to install software (from "Microsoft" which looked exactly like all the other pop ups to install software) was how I got the virus.
    I should have known better not to agree to it.

All is well now. I'm now taking steps for backup as you are and using Linux pretty much exclusively (95% of time)
    My Rig Manager laptop is ONLY used for that purpose...it sits on top of Kemper rack and stays connected to the Kemper.
    (It's only a Dual Core from 2008 so it's not good for much else.) I only connect to the Internet for RM purposes and
    never for other websites.

I don't know how much space you have on your machine, but you could consider dual booting with Linux
    and do something similar to what I'm doing. As soon as I get all my music software updated on Windows, I'm going
    to disable the Windows-side Internet connection.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

Edited once, last by HCarlH ().

• The question is, what processor do you guys have? i7 or i5?

15 Inch display, i7 2.5Ghz with turbo upto 3.7. 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

Great machine. I've no need to upgrade for a while I think, especially considering the newer ones have very limited ports.

Have a look at a used slightly older one.

• This happened to me a few months ago cryptx virus.

It's the most awful virus you can get because it attacks all your personal pictures videos wav music ...ect

Having Avast doesn't detect it at all.

Fortunately all my important files were backed up but I still lost a lot of files video files ect

If I'd meet these guys that do these things, I would torture them

• And the NHS just got attacked in the U.K.

My partner had this. I just done a system restore and backed up the remaining files and scanned them after I formatted the laptop. We lost maybe 20% of photos. Rather that than pay.

Now it's all backed up and we're on mac.