New Kemper Owner/Questions

• Greetings,

My name is Tim and I recently got a Kemper Profiling Amp (unpowered). I'm very excited to have the Kemper after having an Eleven Rack as my main resource/rig for the past 7 years.

I've only had a couple of days to plug it in and get acquainted. The tones are surely amazing and much more "real" sounding than the Eleven Rack. But to be honest, I can't help but feel overwhelmed. The Kemper's capabilities seem boundless and it is hard for me to know where to start. So I thought I'd throw a few questions out to the group:

- I need to update to the latest firmware, but have yet to get a USB stick to aid the process. Any specific USB stick I should get? (In terms of size?)

- Is there a specific USB cable I need to plug the Kemper into my iMac? Would something like this work?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B…asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

- In terms of tutorials/getting acquainted with the functions of the Kemper, can anyone recommend a specific process/resource? Is it just as simple as reading the manuals that are available and watching official Kemper YouTube videos?

- My current plan is to keep my Eleven Rack as my recording interface for Pro Tools but use the Kemper for my guitar tracks. Any similar users out there who use the Kemper with the Eleven Rack for recording? If so, how do you connect everything and which cables would I need to make sure the Kemper and Eleven Rack are in sync, and that Kemper comes out of my speakers? (My Eleven Rack is connected to a pair of M-Audio monitors.)

- I'm a huge fan of guitarists from the '80s primarily, and love the hot-rodded tones of the era from players such as Paul Gilbert, Vito Bratta, Reb Beach, etc. The profiles created by Big Hairy Profiles seem right up my alley. Anyone used/have experience with these tones thus far? If so, curious about the verdict? The samples sound excellent.

- One technical issue: the Kemper froze a couple of times on me last night. I was toggling through rigs and it just wouldn't move, and it wouldn't power off. I had to unplug it. Is this an issue to be alarmed about? I have yet to update to the latest firmware, so that might be the issue?

Sorry for all the questions. In browsing the forum, this seems like a cool community, so hoping someone might be able to lend some advice. Thanks in advance...

• Welcome!! :) I can answer SOME of your questions, or at least add to the confusion ;)

But to be honest, I can't help but feel overwhelmed. The Kemper's capabilities seem boundless and it is hard for me to know where to start.

No worries - just play the darn thing! No need to get too involved yet if you like the tones - just sit back and enjoy it. The kemper is RELATIVELY deep, so don't go in and try to understand everything at once is my advice.

I need to update to the latest firmware, but have yet to get a USB stick to aid the process. Any specific USB stick I should get? (In terms of size?)

I think mine is just a 2GB one, that should be fine.

- In terms of tutorials/getting acquainted with the functions of the Kemper, can anyone recommend a specific process/resource? Is it just as simple as reading the manuals that are available and watching official Kemper YouTube videos?

Being a nerd, I read through the manuals (there's a link in my signature). Start with the basic guide. The tutorial videos are also a big help. But as I said, don't worry about understanding everything right off the bat - just enjoy the tones!

- My current plan is to keep my Eleven Rack as my recording interface for Pro Tools but use the Kemper for my guitar tracks. Any similar users out there who use the Kemper with the Eleven Rack for recording? If so, how do you connect everything and which cables would I need to make sure the Kemper and Eleven Rack are in sync, and that Kemper comes out of my speakers? (My Eleven Rack is connected to a pair of M-Audio monitors.)

No experience with regards to the eleven rack, but when you mention sync, I immediately think of SPDIF - is this what you plan to connect through? If so, keep in mind that for the kemper to use spdif, it MUST be the master, and it MUST be at 44.1 kHz,

- One technical issue: the Kemper froze a couple of times on me last night. I was toggling through rigs and it just wouldn't move, and it wouldn't power off. I had to unplug it. Is this an issue to be alarmed about? I have yet to update to the latest firmware, so that might be the issue?

I've had this happen in the past, but the problem has since disappeared. Probably due to a firmware update. It usually happened while broswing through a lot of profiles via the Rig Manager.
    I'd contact support (there's a link in my signature), just in case. But get the USB drive first so you can take a backup and send to them :)

• Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

I suggest getting Rig Manager on your Mac. With the latest version you can update directly without the USB stick. You still need the USB for backups, however.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• - One technical issue: the Kemper froze a couple of times on me last night. I was toggling through rigs and it just wouldn't move, and it wouldn't power off. I had to unplug it. Is this an issue to be alarmed about? I have yet to update to the latest firmware, so that might be the issue?

At first wellcome :)
    Update to last version of OS and Rigmanager is a good idea.
    If the issue are still there press the "Rig" button while startup will clean your rig pool if there is any corrupted Rig. (After update)
    Do not worry - the fog stays a while but it becomes clearer after a while. ;)
    Have Kemper - have fun!

• Yep I've had the Kemper freeze many times. Only ever happens for me when in Performance mode, with my MacBook connected via Rig Manager and I'm tweaking and saving rigs back into slots. It's only happened when I have been toying with rigs with the macbook connected.

However, so far solid as a rock when playing straight up.

• Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome, all. In updating my firmware, I have had no freezing issues at all.

Still getting familiar with the Kemper. Had a nice breakthrough yesterday with a tech issue I resolved (thanks to another thread on this forum).